Eastside: One Team, One Dream
"We never lose. We either win or we learn. - Nelson Mandela
Working in partnership with the community, Eastside Elementary will provide all students:
A collaborative team of professionals who are committed to improve their practices, so that all students learn at high levels
A safe, positive, and inviting learning environment
An engaging and challenging curriculum focused on essential academics and life skills
Individualized and timely support that provides students with what they need to succeed
This week sets the tone. Build relationships and make sure everyone is clear on procedures. Use your behavior matrix to discuss PRIDE. Take your class on a tour of the school and be prepared to explain what PRIDE looks like in each area.
Quotes to Inspire You
Details for the Week
- Parking for day one will be at the soccer field (gravel lot) to allow for parents to park and walk their darlings in.
- Make sure to dress professionally and wear your new name tag.
- Arrive early! Students and parents will be arriving in your classrooms as early as 7:30. Unless they need to eat breakfast, they will come straight to the classroom on the first couple of days.We will start sending them to the PE building or breakfast on Friday.
- Have an engaging activity for students to work on as they arrive in the morning
- Hand out blue rubber bracelets to your homeroom.
- Lesson plans should be placed in the Google classroom "Game Plan" by 8 am Tuesday morning. Newsletters can be uploaded by the end of the day on Tuesday. Have your lesson plan out on your desk (reading lesson plans on your reading table) for us to look at when we come in your classroom. This will allow us to not interrupt the instruction taking place. Make sure your objectives are posted on your marker board. Remember the objective is not for you. It's for your students. Open and close lesson with the objective to see how close they are to the goal. (See faculty handbook if you have questions about this.)
- Lunch counts and attendance will need to be entered by 9:00 am. Be sure when marking students absent in Eschool that you mark full day.
- We will have our short first day assembly at or around 9:30 in the cafeteria. We will call for grades to come down to the cafeteria. Are you ready to dance?
- Communicate by 10:00 am if you need help finding out any transportation problems or unknowns. We will help!
- Speech and Sped Resource teachers go to classrooms the first two days to meet with students and full services start on Thursday, August 15th.
- All teachers should take their students to the bus this week. We will gather students in the cafeteria to organize the new bus system. Listen on intercom for when we call you down. Support Staff has car rider duty this week with Hope, Mr. O, and Krogman. Satterwhite and Gordon have walkers this week using the new sidewalk!
- Make sure to use the List of Walkers doc sent out by Mrs. Krogman to list who will be walkers, van riders, etc.
- We will need all hands on deck to help with kindergarten (lunch time especially 12:20-12:50)
- Your attendance sheets for your student data notebook have been copied and placed in your box for August and September. Start these on Tuesday. Students and staff will color in green for being present. (Make sure to hang your attendance sheet on the board.) Color red in on the day the student and staff return from an absence.
- Mrs. Krogman and I read the One Word book for the kids and Mrs. Barnhart videoed it. We will be sharing it out with you to show on Wednesday. You will have copies of a baseball in your box for them to write their word. Make sure they write their name small at the bottom and cut it out. Once you are finished with these return them to Mrs. Krogman, so we can start creating our Field of Dreams!
- PROWL will begin on Thursday, August 15. Begin your relationship building on that first day with your group. Friday will begin the PAST testing for your small groups and continue through August 21st. Regular interventions will begin August 22nd. K-2nd can give the PAST to other students during small group reading time during the first week.
- 3-4 use your small group time to PAST assess "at risk" students
- 5th grade- support staff will be coming to you to help PAST test "at risk" students - please have a list for them
- PAST test - we will be sending one out to use.
- We will have recess meetings on Friday. See daily schedule for your recess meeting time. This will allow us to discuss kids and how PROWL went the first couple of days.
- Turn in your orientation sign in sheet and Faculty handbook signature page to Mrs. Krogman by Friday.
- General Announcements
- Information from the custodians: Please place clorox wipes by the sink. Stack chairs at the end of the day. Do not have anything in your window sill.
- Let me know if you cannot locate the Elementary curriculum file in the Google drive.
- If you need to use a phone to call parents, please use the lounge phone or go across the hallway to the conference room. The office phone is not a place where these conversations need to take place.
- Remember to use a tumbler type cup with a lid for your beverage including coffee.
- As of now, our bell system has not been set for this year's schedule. Follow your schedule and go by your computer for correct time.
- No team meetings this week.
- All classroom doors must be locked at all times. Only open your classroom door for students or other staff members. You will be notified by Ms. Patty of any visitors coming to your classroom. Remember from Coach Meek's training to talk to kids about not opening the door for someone unless you have said it's okay.
- First Security Bank wants you to know that they are available to come and present on any money or banking topic. Just contact the bank!
- Please begin making positive contacts to parents. Develop those positive relationships so that the more difficult conversations are easier during the school year. Support staff will need to choose 20 students to make positive contacts on as well. You may want to talk about who you choose as a group so we can reach as many different students as possible. Your list will be due to Mrs. Krogman on Sept. 6th.
- SIT will take place on Tuesdays this year.
- You will get ESCWorks descriptions during the first week of school. Your transcript will be due to me on August 26th.
- See picture below. This phrase is above mine and Mrs. Krogman's light in our office. If any of you are in our office throughout the year, please touch it on your way out. We will use this with students too. It will be a way to promote growth mindset and help students focus their energy on getting better even if they make a mistake.
Meet the Teams that will make all the Eastside Kids' DREAMS come true!
Important Dates (Refer to EES 2019- 20 Calendar shared by Mrs. Krogman)
Aug 13 - First Day of School and Boo Hoo Breakfast for Kinder parents
Aug 19 - ACT Aspire reports sent home
Aug 26 - ESC works transcripts due
Aug 27 - Mrs. Bailey's here
Aug 28- Mrs. Bailey and Mr. King's here
Aug 29 - Volunteer Training 8:15 AM
August 30th - Positive Parental Contact forms due
Sept 2 - No school
Sept 3 - 5th grade second chance breakfast begins
Sept 3-6 - BOY MAP K-2
Sept 5 - Boy Scout Night 6:30 PM
Sept 6 - Positive Parent Contacts due to Mrs. Krogman
Sept 6 - Mrs. Bailey and Mr. King's here
Sept 12 - PTO Meeting after school and Watch DOG Dad Kick off 6:00 PM
Sept 13 - Spirit Day @ 8:30
Sept 16 - Progress Reports go home
Sept 19 - Lil' Dribbler Meeting 6:00 PM