The Raptor Report
RHAM Middle School
Week of 1/16 - 1/20, 2023
Message from the Principal
Kudos to the Chorus and Band students, and their teachers for a fantastic concert last night! All the performances were wonderful and we can't wait to see what's in store for the Spring Concert. Our first 2 days of midterms are done and we have 2 to go - this Monday 1/23 and Tuesday 1/24 are early release (11:45 AM) days. We can't believe that the first half of the school year will be complete on 1/24 and Quarter 3 will begin on Wednesday 1/25. The second semester is always full of fun upcoming trips and events!
I do want to remind everyone that since now students are paying for their breakfasts/lunches, we have also seen an increase in the number of negative account balances. Please be sure to check your child's account to make sure they have enough funds to cover their purchases. The best and easiest way to track what your student is purchasing and to load funds for them is to sign up for the MySchoolBucks. Links to both the MySchoolBucks and if needed the Free & Reduced Lunch Application are below in the "Cafe" section of this Raptor Report.
This coming Tuesday 1/24 is another Ski Club day, students will leave for their trip directly after school at 11:45 AM. Please be aware that traffic may back up in the drop-off area and it would be a good idea to allow for more time in the morning.
As always, please let us know if you have any questions.
Hope you have great weekend.
Upcoming Important Dates:
- January 23 - Early Dismissal 11:45 AM - Midterms
- January 24 - Early Dismissal 11:45 AM - Midterms
- January 24 - End of Quarter 2
- January 25 - Quarter 3 Begins (Semester 2)
- February 3 - Middle School Dance 7:00 - 9:00 PM
- February 9 - Grade 8 Parent Night at HS 6:30 PM
- February 10 - RHAM Drama - High School Musical 7:00 PM
- February 11 - RHAM Drama - High School Musical 2:00 PM & 7:00 PM
- February 16 - Evening of Jazz (Jazz Band Only) 7:00 PM
- February 17 - Early Dismissal 11:45 AM
- February 20 - NO SCHOOL (President's Day)
- February 21 - NO SCHOOL
All dates are subject to change due to any weather/snow closings.
Coffee & Conversation - Join Us!
As the Superintendent, one of my goals is to meet as many parents and community members as possible. To help in this effort, I am hosting monthly opportunities for coffee and conversation with community members at the dates and times below:
2/13/23: 9-10 AM Middle School library
3/16/23: 6-7 PM High School library
4/19/23: 9:30-10:30 AM Middle School library
5/25/23: 6-7 PM High School library
I hope you’re able to attend.
News and Notes
Tips for Winter Motivation...
- Make Light a Priority. One of the biggest triggers of seasonal depression is the lack of sunshine.
- Begin Plans and Goals for Summer.
- Stay Hydrated.
- Get Outside.
- Schedule Time for What You Love.
- Try New Things.
- Remember to Be Physically Active.
RMS Winter Concert
Message from Guidance...
If your student is interested in learning more about the Greater Hartford Academy of the Arts (GHAA) they are hosting a an open houses for prospective students:
- February 10th at 10:00 am
Incoming Grade 7 Students for Next Year:
Online registration for RHAM MS for next year is now open. You should have received information regarding this from your students in elementary school. One thing to note is that after completing the first part of the registration process, the email confirmation seems to be making its way into many SPAM email folders, so please check your SPAM folders.
Good Afternoon RHAM Middle School Families,
Registration for Unified Basketball is now open. If you would like to register your student to participate, please use the link provided below to complete FamilyID Registration. The program will begin on January 31st. If you have any questions regarding the schedule or requirements, please reach out to the coaches (Maria Spodobalski and Christine Sposito). Thank you,
FamilyID Registration Link: https://www.familyid.com/rham-middle-school-athletics/rham-middle-school-2023-unified-sports-registration
Chromebook Damage - Repair Costs
There has been an increase in damage being done to Chromebooks. Students are reminded to take care of them because they are property of the school. Students that damage a Chromebook intentionally will be charged to repair the Chromebook.
Click HERE for the student presentation and repair costs.
Notes from the Nurse
Attention 7th grade parents - This is a friendly reminder that every 7th grade student is required to have a physical during their 6th or 7th grade year. The physical must be dated between July 1, 2021 and June 30, 2023. Please submit your child's physical to the school nurse as soon as possible. Link for a blank copy of health assessment is found below. Students can bring the paperwork to the nurse's office or you may email them to Lucy Bernier at email@example.com. Should you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact the nurses office.
8th Grade Parents - Health Authorization Update
Attendance - Absent/Late Arrival/Early Dismissal
Student Clubs and Activities!
It is never too late to join a club or activity! Even if a club has already started, most clubs have the ability for you to jump right into the activities. Please see the office or club advisor for details.
Contact Club Advisor to confirm start date of club:
- Art Club - Meets every Tuesday from 2:15 - 3:15 pm in Room 237. Please contact Mrs. Gradie for more information.
- Home Economics Club - Meets every other Wednesday 2:15 - 3:30pm. Contact Mrs. Gonzalez or Mrs. Barber with questions.
- GSA (Gender Sexuality Alliance) - This all inclusive club plans different activities to help spread equality and inclusion for all. The club could paint murals, play games and engage in other school wide awareness activities. Meets every other Thursday from 2:10-3:15pm in the Team Room.
- Newspaper Club - Students help create & publish a school newspaper - See more info HERE. No need to be a member to submit articles. Send your article to Mrs. Lynch. Meets Thursdays 2:15-3:30pm in Room 142. Contact Mrs. Sue Lynch for more information.
- Math Club - Meets every other Wednesday from 2:15-3:30pm in Room 100. All grades, all levels of math abilities are welcome!
- Card Game Club - Meets alternate Thursdays from 2:15-3:45pm in Room 103. Card games and board games of all kinds are welcome and encouraged! Contact Mr. Conroy for more information.
- Environmental Club - The goal of the club is to work together to make our school and community a greener place to be. Students will decide what projects and activities they would like to undertake. Meets every Tuesday from 2:15-3:00pm in Room 115.
- Brass Band Meets every Wednesday from 2:25-3:00pm.
- Jazz Band - Meets every Tuesday from 2:15-3:30pm. Students should sign-up on the bulletin board in the Music Hallway.
- Yearbook Club - Meets every Tuesday after school until 3:30 pm in Room 123. All are welcome, please contact Ms. Sinosky or Mrs. Allard for more details.
- Drama Club (RMS) - Production has begun, performance dates end of February 2023. Contact Ms. Filosa for more information.
- Lego Club - Meets every other Wednesday from 2:15-3:30 pm in Room 123. Come build with your friends where Everyone is a Master Builder! Contact Ms. Sinosky for more information.
- RHAM Race Team - (formally Alternative Energy Race Team) Meets every Thursday from 2:15-3:30 pm in Rm 122. Contact Ms. Sinosky for more information.
- Future Problem Solvers Club - Meets on Wednesday evenings at RHAM High School Room 115 from 6:45-8:00 pm. For more information, please contact Sherri Pelletier at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- TSA/VEX - (Technology Student Association) If you are interested in Co2 Cars, Programming, Public Speaking, Problem Solving and/or VEX Robotics, this club is for you. Meets every other Wednesday from 2:20-3:30 pm in Room 123. Contact Ms. Sinosky for more information.
- RHAMblings - Student literary magazine. Meets once a month (dates TBD). Please contact Ms. Golas for more information and details.
- World Language/French Club - Meets every other Thursday (opposite weeks of Spanish Club) after school in Room 201. Please contact Mr. Ndao for more information and details.
- World Language/Spanish Club - Meets every other Thursday (opposite weeks of French Club) after school in Room 200. Please contact Mrs. Sanady(Shabazian) for more information and details.
Ongoing After School Help:
- PM Study - Meets Tues/Wed/Thurs afternoon. Please contact school counselor for a PM Study Contract if interested.
- Math Lab - Meets every Tuesday in Room 208 or 217 with Mrs. Laccavole or Mrs. Ouellette and on Thursdays, Room 101 with Mrs. Kane
- Writing Lab - Meets every Wednesday, Room 203, Mrs. Banks
Free School Meals have ended on January 10, 2023.
Effective January 11, 2023, all meals will need to be paid in full unless your child qualifies for free or reduced meals. Click HERE for the full letter.
At the middle school, we have two lunch waves, the first one starts at 10:35am and the second one starts at 11:20am. We know that students often get hungry either before/and or after lunch so they bring a snack to keep in their locker. We like to remind everyone that, because of allergies, no nut products are allowed in school.
There are times when families find themselves in need of some support to ensure that their children are able to get lunch at school. If you feel that you are in need of some support then please see the Free/Reduce information under the parent tab and then click on food service. (https://rms.rhamschools.org/parents/FoodService/free_and_reduced_info )
Lunch Menu - Jan. 23rd - Jan. 27th
COMMUNITY NEWS / EVENTS
AHM Youth Services
AHM Youth Representatives Wanted!
If you're interested in becoming a Youth Representative on the AHM Board of Directors - Click HERE for the flyer.
SOAR Youth Group:
SOAR is a student-based group allowing RHAM Middle School and RHAM High School students the opportunity to make positive changes at RHAM through service and education.
Check out the upcoming Events & Activities for the group!
LATE BUS - General Information
Late buses run Monday - Thursday (No Fridays).
Students are picked up at the Middle School around 4:00pm.
There is 1 bus per town.
Bus routes are determined at the time of pickup, based upon how many students are on the bus and student locations, the amount of time it takes to get home will vary. You might not be dropped off at your actual home, you could be dropped off up to 1 mile away.
You will report to the library after your activity or event and wait there doing school work, etc until the late bus arrives.
You must be staying after school for an event or activity.
You can’t leave the school grounds then come back to take the late bus.
You must sign up in the After School Binders if you are staying after school, which can be found in front of the office during the day or in your lunch waves.
All students staying after school whether you are walking home, getting picked up or taking the late bus MUST sign up in the After School Binders.
If you are on a sports team and need to take the last bus, you MUST also sign up in the late bus binder.