WINTER PARK BAND Weekly Newsletter
September 20, 2020
Brass and Color Guard Sectional Rehearsal
Tuesday, Sep. 22nd, 3-5pm
2100 Summerfield Road
Winter Park, FL
All Outdoor Band Sections Rehearsal
Thursday, Sep. 24th, 3-5pm
2100 Summerfield Road
Winter Park, FL
Home Football Game
Friday, Sep. 25th, 5:30-10pm
2525 Cady Way
Winter Park, FL
All-State 11/12 Symphonic Band Audition Recording Window
Friday, Sep. 25th, 12am to Saturday, Sep. 26th, 11:45pm
This is an online event.
All-State 9/10 Concert Band Audition Recording Window
Sunday, Sep. 27th, 12am to Monday, Sep. 28th, 11:45pm
This is an online event.
From Mr. Clemente
Dear Winter Park Band families,
I hope everyone has had a chance to rest and relax this weekend!
As you all have heard, the school district has given a green light to the Band to be in attendance at home football games this fall. There is still much information to be handed down by the district and many plans and logistics to be finalized over the coming days. So, I ask everyone to please stay tuned for additional communication coming from me after this newsletter. All situations and logistics are being thought through as carefully and thoroughly as possible and with all potential outcomes and safety considerations possible taken into account. Later in the newsletter, you will find a section containing the plan for Friday as it is in place for now, along with the questions I am still awaiting guidance on from the district and the school's administration.
In the meantime, I need all of our Band parents to complete the Google form I emailed out Friday morning, if you have not done so already. I know some parents had an issue with the form requiring a sign-in to complete, and I believe that issue has since been resolved as of this morning. Please click on the link below as you are reading this to complete the form. It will take a maximum of 30 seconds.
There have also been some significant changes made to the Band Calendar due to the performance now scheduled for Friday evening. Please have a look at the changes that have been made to our schedule for the coming week.
Students Auditioning for All-State: Due to the more involved outdoor band schedule this week, Mr. Clemente and Mr. Smith will only be available for help with your audition after school Monday and Wednesday. We will also have available time on Saturday for 11th and 12th graders and on Sunday for 9th and 10th graders to come into school to record their audition. If you would like to sign up for a help time or an audition time, please click on the link to the signup sheet below.
From the Band Booster President
Week of September 20, 2020
Do not forget to submit your ads/sponsorships/dedications. September 30, 2020 is the deadline.
See the link below for all the information:
Please stay tuned to communications this week regarding band activities and volunteer needs. At this time, we will need 5 parent volunteers for this Friday's performance at the football game. When Mr. Clemente is able to assign the students who will be performing, please sign up to help out if you are able. As you know, things can change rapidly, so please check your email and the Charms calendar often, as it is updated as Mr. Clemente and Mr. Smith learn information.
Thank you for your help! Have a great week.
PARENT VOLUNTEERS - WE NEED YOUR HELP!
Now that we know that we have upcoming needs for parent chaperones, it's time to either renew as an ADDitions volunteer or apply if you've never done so. It is easy to apply and get approved, and it is a requirement to sign up to volunteer at school. Be prepared to upload a photo and please be sure to read the Covid-19 Acknowledgment.
Follow this link at ocps.net:
- winterparkhsband.com > Click on the ADDitions icon in the center of the home page, just below the SchoolPay.com icon.
- *Click "Volunteer Now"
- Click on the "Additions Volunteers" round button
- Click "Volunteers" as the Opportunity Type
- Select the school of your choice. (Winter Park High)
- Select opportunity #1 called: "Become an ADDitions School Volunteer" (MUST BE THE FIRST OPPORTUNITY SELECTED) and then click "view details". Click "Sign up" Then either sign in if you already have an account or create a new Volunteer Profile account.
- Renewal Applicants can check their Dashboard for eligibility status. Everyone will need to answer or update your safety questions. Just follow the prompts. Then click "Previously Registered Volunteer Next Steps" if you want to search for volunteer opportunities outside of band. *Application is processed and subject to a background check
- If you're a new applicant, click "New Volunteer Next Steps" if you want to look for volunteer opportunities outside of band.
- If you only want to volunteer for band, there is no need to click the "Search for opportunities" link.
- If we become ready for volunteers, you can sign up for band opportunities on charmsoffice.com under "Parents/Students/Members", then enter the school code: WinterparkHSBand, enter your password, click "volunteer", then select an event and opportunity. At this time it is not necessary to sign up for anything. However, if you have a moment, it's helpful to walk through the steps of signing up so you are familiar with the process.
If you have any questions or concerns about volunteering or signing up with ADDitions, don't hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Robyn Fodor - Band Volunteer Coordinator
PROGRAM ADS AND SPONSORS FUNDRAISER
SENIOR PARENTS: Try to gather photos asap if you would like to put something in the program this year for their senior.
The Band’s Concert Program is distributed, free of charge, at all concerts during the school year. In addition to pictures of the Band and information about its members, the Program also contains advertisements from local businesses and Band families. ***New this school year, there will be a digital edition of the program available to distribute.*** The sale of these ads is a great way for your student to raise money that will defray your financial obligations to the Band. The student’s Band account will be credited with 60% of the ad revenue that he/she sells, depending on the Band’s printing cost. Ana Nazarian is the parent volunteer in charge of the Concert Program. Her contact info is listed below.
Options for Ads/Sponsorship Sales:
- Local Business Ads: These are black and white ads of varying sizes (business card, ¼ page, ½ page or full page). A company should submit an electronic copy of its ad in a high-resolution format of at least 300 dpi or better. Acceptable files include: PDF, JPG, PNG, EPS and PSD. Email the file to email@example.com. We request the digital format of the ad be the actual size of the ad that you are purchasing. Two business cards are required for business card ads.
- Student Dedications: Parents and other family members of any grade level student may purchase ad space (¼, ½, or full) as a dedication to their student or student’s section. The same formatting and resolution requirements listed above apply to Student Dedication Ads. A great way to honor your student, any grade level but especially Seniors, and 60% goes back to you as fundraising credit!
- Sponsorships from local businesses or families: Sponsors are financial donors listed together on a single page in the program, according to the contribution level. If you know someone who would like to donate to the Band but does not own a business, this is a great way for them to show their support.
It’s Super Easy!!!
Steps for Selling a Band Program Ad:
- Upon initial contact with a business, provide the cover letter and order form. It is helpful to show potential advertisers a copy of last year’s Program. Copies are available in the band room.
- Once a company has agreed to purchase an ad or sponsorship, fill out the order form and obtain a signature from the company representative. The order form may also be used for Student Dedication Ads and Sponsorships.
- In one envelope labeled “Program Ad/Sponsor Sales,” please submit the order form, a check payable to “WPHS Band,” and a hard copy of the ad. The digital version of the ad should be emailed to Ana Nazarian, firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the student’s name and advertiser’s name in the subject line (i.e. re: John Smith, Acme Supplies, Inc.).
- Please submit all forms, ads, and payments by Wednesday, September 30, 2020.
- Forms are available on the Band’s website (winterparkhsband.com/band-boosters.html) for additional copies.
Questions? Contact Ana Nazarian at email@example.com or call 407-325-6167.
"Ready, Set, FUNd!" Fundraiser
Again this year, the Band will be offering a "Ready, Set, FUNd" fundraiser. This fundraiser was a big success last year, and has the potential for the students to raise a significant amount of money for the Band program!
Have a Netflix account? Hulu? PlaystationVue? "Ready, Set, FUNd" is easy and really low hassle!
What do you get?
- A year's worth of access to the City Saver App with customized coupons based on where you or your family live in the US!
- 3 annual subscriptions to magazines of your choosing.
- A 2-night stay voucher
- A great feeling for supporting the students in the Winter Park Band!
How much is it?
- Only $10.00 a month!
- $60.00 of your year of support goes directly to the Winter Park Band!
How much fundraising credit does my student get for getting supporters?
- $5.00 per month, per subscriber!
- That's $60.00 in fundraising credit per subscriber!
- You could cover the entire year's worth of Fair Share with 5 subscribers!
- It's so easy!
What do I do next?
- Send this link to your family and friends: readysetfund.com/share/group/winterparkband
- Get some supporters! We want everyone to try to get at least 4!
- If you get supporters before we kick-off the fundraiser on Monday, you'll be in the running for some awesome prizes given out during your Band class!
Procedures for Performance at Football Games
FORMS NEEDED TO REHEARSE/PERFORM AT SCHOOL EVENTS
- Completed Physical Form
- Marching Band COVID Release Form
- All other Band forms that came due on Monday, August 24 (WoodwindBrassPercussionPacket or ColorGuardPacket)
- If a student is missing any forms from those listed above, that student will not be permitted to rehearse or perform at school events on campus or at Showalter Field.
KNOWN HEALTH/SAFTEY PROCEDURES
- All students must wear a face covering at all times on campus or at Showalter Field. The only exception being wind players when they need to play their instrument.
- Currently, the maximum number of Band students allowed to perform at home football games is 50. As we have more than 50 students who make up the Band program, Mr. Clemente will be assigning which students will perform at the remaining home football games.
- Marching Percussion students will be present at all games as their section's parts demand that the entire section be present in order for the other students in the Band to perform successfully.
- Mrs. Johnson and Mr. Clemente have discussed and agreed that the Color Guard will also stay together as a section, but alternate performances.
- Students will maintain a distance of 10 ft. while in attendance at a rehearsal or performance.
- At football games, the Band will be performing from behind the north endzone on the rubberized surface, seated in folding chairs. This decision was made by the administration to maximize the possible space for physical distancing for spectators in the stands.
- To avoid contact with the general spectators attending the game, the Band will have their own port-a-john restrooms for only the Band members and parent chaperones to use.
HEALTH AND SAFETY PROCEDURES TO BE DETERMINED
- BUSES Part 1: As Showalter Field does not have adequate facilities to protect our students and parent chaperones in the very probable event that inclement weather occurs during a football game, the Band must have buses in order to provide shelter away from lightning and storms. Currently, the school district has a policy against buses being used for field trips, which is essentially what the Winter Park Band does for every football game we attend. As this situation is unique to Winter Park High School, the administration is in the process of asking for an exception to be made so that our students can be protected.
- BUSES Part 2: The Winter Park Band has traditionally used buses to transport all Band students to and from performances at Showalter Field. Depending on the outcome of the situation above, we plan to use the buses as we have in the past to transport students to and from the games. We still plan to use the same number of buses (6) as we would in a normal fall. With 50 students and 5 parent chaperones, this will provide for more than adequate physical distancing on the buses with a maximum of 10 students/parents per bus. We will maintain this same physical distancing setup if/when we need to use the buses as shelter from inclement weather. As a reminder, students are required to wear a face mask at all times.
- Other transportation options are being considered, but all official allowances will depend on if we are able to procure buses for the Band.
- Concessions: I do not know if concessions will be served at the games. If they are, I intend to setup a pre-order for the Band students before Friday's game. The intent is to eliminate student contact with the general public at the event to eliminate possible pathogen spread.
- Pep Band Uniform: The shirt design for this year was voted on by the students at our virtual ice-breaker last Tuesday evening. Those shirts should be ready to be passed out to the students by the middle of this week. The uniform for pep band performances will be the 2020-2021 Band shirt, tan/khaki shorts, a belt, and closed toe sneakers with socks.
- Flip-Folders and Lyres: All students must have a flip-folder and a lyre to contain their music for outdoor band. Flip Folders are quite easy to come by and readily available for purchase online or in a local music store like Underwood Music, the Band Room, or Music Shack. Lyres are much more specific to each instrument. The best way to purchase a lyre is to bring your student's instrument into a music shop and "try-on" lyres. Since manufacturing differs, lyre sizing differs as well.
- Printed Music: Students should have all their parts printed and placed into their flip folder before our Full Outdoor Band rehearsal on Thursday. If you do not have access to a printer at home, have your student contact their section leader to find a solution to having music copied. All PDFs of music for outdoor band can be found on Canvas under Modules.
Unlike a full band rehearsal experience, studying with a private teacher focuses in on the student’s individual needs. Students who study privately once a week from a professional musician are usually those who excel and find Band more enjoyable. These students frequently earn positions in honor groups like All-State and All-County, and make entry into our more advanced bands like Wind Symphony and Jazz Ensemble I. Some even go on to earn college scholarships, even if they are not majoring in music!
By following the link below, you will find a list of local private teachers. This list is not exhaustive, and there may be other individuals who are not on the list. If you know a private teacher who should be added (or would like to be deleted), please contact Mr. Clemente at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NEW PARENT LIAISON
If you are having a technology issue and have not yet reached out to the school about resolution, please email Mr. Steffey at Donald.Steffey@ocps.net to set up an appointment at school for your computer to be looked at. Email should be sent as soon as you read this!
As a reminder, students are considered present in their LaunchED class if they:
- Joined the call before the tardy bell.
- Have their camera on the entire class period.
- Are able to be seen, face and instrument, in the camera view.
- Participate in class from bell to bell.
Students who do not have their camera on for the duration of class, and we have not received an email from the school stating awareness of the issue and work towards it being resolved, will be marked absent.
Thank you for your work to resolve these technology issues!
FINANCES & CHARMS
Past Due Band Payments
- Band Registration Fair Share - $25.00 Due 5/5
- Fair Share Payment 1 - $25.00 Due 8/19
Viewing your Student's Financial Account in Charms:
There is a direct link to Charms in "Quick Links" on the band website.
- Our school code is winterparkhsband
- The Student Area Password would be a unique password that either the student or parent have set up. (If you don't know the password it can be reset by one of the band directors).
- Once you have logged into the Student Area, click on the round, red $ symbol on the top menu bar to view your student's account
- If your student has earned Band Account Credit (in the Miscellaneous Ledger) this credit can be transferred to pay for many band fees: Fair Share, School Instrument Maintenance, Registration Fees for All-State, All-County and Solo Ensemble.
Requesting a Credit Transfer to pay for Fixed Payments Due:
- Click on the "Transfer Request" tab just below the round, red $ symbol. Select the fixed payment you would like to pay for using the credit. The request is sent to the band directors and the band booster treasurer.
- SENIORS: Please check your credit balance and use it accordingly during the year. Credit for Seniors left at the end of the year can only be transferred to siblings.
2020-2021 FINANCIAL OBLIGATIONS SCHEDULE