Michelangelo Buonarroti's 'David'
- Born March 6th, 1475 in Caprese, Italy.
- Spent most of his life in Florence.
- Attended grammar school until apprenticed by Domenico Ghirlandaio at the age of 13.
- Higher ranked family, dad was a banker. Best artist in their village. Travelled often.
- Medici was his main patron.
- Described by Individualism because he is very creative and unique. Also by secularism because he painted some of his works in the church.
- "Michelangelo considered by some art scholars to be the greatest sculptor and draftsman of all time"(Michelangelo Buonarroti).
The Work: David
- "In 1501 Michelangelo returned to Florence. Authorities of the Duomo let him sculpt on an abandoned piece of marble. He made a plan to make a man 13 feet tall called david. This was approved and work started on September 13, 1501"(Michelangelo Buonarroti).
- Work is named David.
- Piece was created between 1501-1504.
- Now it is in The Gallery of the Accademia di Belle Arti in Florence.
- It is very creative and a new type of work to the era. One of the first nude sculpting.
- Humanism describes David the best, because this sculpting is about the ideal gentleman.
Buonarroti, Michelangelo. "David." 1501. JPG file.
Unknown. Michelangelo. N.d. Unknown, Unknown. Sculptorsam.com. Web. 30 Jan. 2013.
century, the 20th, and Michelangelo's David. "David (Michelangelo) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia." Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Jan. 2013.
Michelangelo Info #1
"Michelangelo Buonarroti." Authors and Artists for Young Adults. Vol. 43. Detroit: Gale, 2002. Gale Biography In Context. Web. 28 Jan. 2013.
Michelangelos Info #2
"Michelangelo Buonarroti." Encyclopedia of World Biography. Detroit: Gale, 1998. Gale Biography In Context. Web. 28 Jan. 2013.