Eagle's Nest Newsletter
Monthly Newsletter to the Aurora Elementary Family
Well, October is here, and with that comes many changes, both in the weather and for school. We are closing in on the end of our first quarter and gearing up for Parent/Teacher/Student Conferences (information below).
Many things are coming together as we navigate this school year with combined staff and students, as well as, being able to open our doors to parents and activities. We currently have a few before and after school activities (Anchored 4 LIfe, Choir, and Battle of the Books) and we are looking for more ways to open our school to meet the needs of our community. If you have ideas or suggestions for activities that you and your children would like to be a part of, we'd love to hear them! PTA is always looking for more members and we definitely couldn't do activities without volunteer support from our community.
If you have any questions or would like to give feedback, my office is always open. You can reach me by calling the front office at 907-742-0300 (please leave a message if I cannot answer your call right away) or by emailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Principal, Aurora Elementary
First Quarter Assembly
Our first quarter assembly will be held on October 14th. We will have two assemblies, one for primary grades and one for intermediate grades. All parents are invited to attend and please be on the lookout for special invitations from teachers for students who will be receiving an award.
Intermediate Assembly (3-6) - 9:20-9:50
Primary Assembly (K-2) - 10:00-10:30
Our choir will be singing and we will also present awards for the Fire Prevention Week contest.
10/14 1st Quarter Awards Assembly in the Gym/MPR (Intermediate 9:20 - 9:50 & Primary 10:00-10:30).
10/14 Fall Festival on the Playground from 5:00-7:30.
10/21 NO SCHOOL - State Released PD
10/26 & 10/27 PT Conference Days - student release at 12:45
10/28 NO SCHOOL - State Released PD
11/08 Asynchronous Learning (NO SCHOOL) - State Released PD
11/11 NO SCHOOL - Veterans Day, State Released PD for teachers.
Anchored 4 Life
Arrival and Dismissal
As a reminder:
- If you would like to walk your students to class, please park and enter through the front entryway. After 9:15, all parents/visitors must sign into the building. We will be asking all parents who enter/exit the building to use the front doors.
- The fire lane is a drop-off/pick-up zone only. Do not exit your vehicle to walk your child to the doors. Not only is this a violation of our fire safety zone, it also creates a traffic jam and frustrates parents who want to use the lane appropriately. If a staff member asks you to move your vehicle, please understand that they are looking out for the safety of all of our children. Yelling at or arguing with staff or other parents is inappropriate.
- The speed limit in the parking lot is 5 mph.
- For morning arrival, if your child's bus arrives after 9:05, we have staff that will direct them into the building by the gym. This alleviates students from walking all the way around the building and provides adequate supervision.
- Teachers are instructed to walk their children, as a class, outside at dismissal time. This will help to get children to their parents as soon as possible and keep the drop-off/pick-up lane moving quickly.
In Alaska, the weather changes quickly. For this wet fall weather, make sure that your child has everything they need to be outside in the rain - a warm jacket with a hood or a hat, and preferably rain boots or outdoor shoes. Noon duties will continue to remind students that they need to stay away from puddles. Umbrellas are not allowed on the playground.
By mid-October, students will need to have a winter coat, snow pants (if it has snowed), a hat, gloves, and snow boots. Please make sure your child's gear has their name on it and if you're missing any items, please stop by the front entryway to check our lost and found.
Open Positions at Aurora Elementary
- Classroom Teacher - you must be certificated or be able to get certified.
- Special Ed Teacher - this is a shared position with Orion Elementary.
- Kindergarten Paraprofessional - 5.5 hours
- Cafeteria Manager - 5.5 hours
If you are interested or know someone who is, please go to ASD's Talent Management Page.