Saunders County 4-H Smore
September 8, 2017
In this week's Smore...
- 2018 Saunders County Fair Superintendents/Leaders NEEDED!
- Nebraska State Fair Results & Saunders County Recognized Youth
- Career Portfolios & Diamond Clover Applications due November1!
- 2017 Saunders County 4-H Foundation Auction Results
- Sow, Litter to go to wining 4-H, FFA member essay
- 2017 Nebraska Youth Symposium
- 4-H Household Pet Fest
- Make It with Wool
- AKSARBEN Entry
- Shooting Sports Instructor Survey
- Nebraska Equine Webinar Series
- Statewide 4-H Opportunities
- Other Opportunities
Looking for 2018 Saunders County Superintendents/Leaders!
If we can't find people willing to serve as leaders or superintendents for these then they could potentially end up not being offered at the fair!
Please contact us if you would be interested in one of those!
Nebraska State Fair
Congragulations to all our Saunders County youth on competing at the Nebraska State Fair! You all did great!
Results for State Fair Exhibits can be found here: http://www.nebraska4hresults.com/
Congratulations to the following static exhibits for receiving special recognition on their state fair static entries:
Carlie Benes- (2) Photography selected for Animal Science Department
Micah Judds - Photography selected for CASNR & Extension Dean's Office
Avery Mayberry - Quilt Class Winner- Class 41
Allison Pecoraro - Photography selected for CASNR & Extension Dean's Office
Stephanie Sherman - (2) Robert Hillstead Gallery Celebration of Youth
Stephanie Sherman - Outstanding Quilt Exhibit: Level 3, Classes 70-72
Gavin Soden - Photography selected for CASNR & Extension Dean's Office
Nolan Van Slyke - Photography selected for CASNR & Extension Dean's Office
Braxton Wentworth - Received Premier Science Award for growing sunburst squash in tow locations to measure the difference in production and size.
Career Portfolios and Diamond Clover applications due NOVEMBER 1!
What is a Career Portfolio?
- Saunders County's Career Portfolio program is an opportunity for 4-H members to submit a record of their involvement in not only 4-H, but in their schools and communities as well. By participating in this program, youth are able to keep record of their involvement from year to year. There are opportunities to compete at a county level and go on to compete at district and state, as well as national. Take a look at the information and details below!
- NEW IN 2017- Clover Kids Career Portfolio!
- For more information, please see: http://extension.unl.edu/statewide/saunders/saunders-county-career-portfolio/
Diamond Clover applications are due NOVEMBER 1, 2017!
What is the Diamond Clover Program?
- The program’s overall goal is to provide 4-H members a rich and diverse learning experience. The program consists of six levels that require a 4-H member to plan and report a broad range of ageappropriate accomplishments. The program is designed to enable every 4-H member willing to exert the effort an opportunity to be recognized, regardless of how they are involved in 4-H.
- For more information, please see: http://4h.unl.edu/diamond-clover
2017 Saunders County 4-H Foundation Auction Results
Total made on auction was $1450.00
Sow, litter to go to winning 4-H, FFA member essay!
It’s called a Sow Giveaway, but it’s sure to be a little more “ham” than that.
Southeast Community College, along with Aksarben, the Nebraska Pork Producers and the Iowa Pork Producers, is sponsoring a Sow Giveaway. Any 4-H or FFA member from Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Minnesota, South Dakota, North Dakota, Colorado, and Wyoming is eligible to enter.
All they have to do is write a 500-word essay that addresses the following two items:
- Detail how your project will benefit winning the sow and her piglets.
- Include how the award will improve the profitability and growth of your livestock project.
- A reference letter from a 4-H leader, an extension agent or FFA advisor also must accompany the entry.
Completed packets should be mailed to Annie Erichsen at Southeast Community College, 4771 W. Scott Road, Beatrice, NE 68310.
Entries must be postmarked by September 20, 2017.
The winner must be able to pick up the sow and litter after 4 p.m. October 1st at the State Fairgrounds in Grand Island.
Persons who need more information about the contest are asked to contact Erichsen at 402-228-8258 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
2017 Nebraska Youth Beef Symposium
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: October 6, 2017
EVENT: November 17-19, 2017
What: Nebraska Youth Beef Leadership Symposium (NYBLS)
Who: any and all youth interested in the beef industry in Nebraska, and/or youth considering UNL as their University. Youth need to be at least high school freshmen.
When: November 17-19, 2017
Where: UNL East Campus, Lincoln
Why: It will be educational, fun, and a great
way to meet industry representatives and youth with similar interests!
How: More details can be found at:
2017 Aksarben Entry Process
The 2017 AKSARBEN Entry process will be an online entry process.
The online entry process will require parent contact information and verification of 4-H member information. Payment will be processed via credit or debit card prior to leaving the entry page. Each family will be able to create a unique password to ensure security of information.
Complete login and entry instructions will be posted on the aksarbenstockshow.com website.
Other important dates to remember:
- August 31 : All entries for the AKSARBEN Stock Show are due online.
- Sept 1 - Sept 7 : Entries accepted at 2x's published fee
- Sept 8 - Sept 14 :Entries accepted at 3x's published fee
- Sept 14: NO ENTRIES ACCEPTED AFTER MIDNIGHT
- September 23-24 - AKSARBEN Horse Show in Grand Island, NE at Thompson Arena / NE State Fair Grounds.
- September 28-October 1 - AKSARBEN Stock Show in Grand Island, NE at Fonner Park / NE State Fair Grounds.
Shooting Sports Instructor Annual Report
Please note effective October 1, 2017 - All instructors must teach youth or assist in instruction of youth, a minimum of four hours in their respective discipline every year. Instructors must also complete and submit their annual instructor report (on-line format) to the state coordinator to remain a certified instructor in their respective discipline.
Nebraska Equine Webinar
The first webinar will be on September 11th at 6:00 pm and will cover equine nutrition, geared toward information needed for advancement level 3. In addition, there will be time set aside for question and answers. To access the webinar follow the instructions below:
Register in advance for this meeting:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
All webinars will be recorded so that if you cannot participate at the time of the event you can watch the webinar at a later time.
Saunders County Extension
Extension is a Division of the Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources at the University of Nebraska–Lincoln cooperating with the Counties and the United States Department of Agriculture.
University of Nebraska–Lincoln Extension educational programs abide with the nondiscrimination policies of the University of Nebraska–Lincoln and the United States Department of Agriculture.