DMS Panther Report
Newsletter for Parents, Students, Teachers & the Community
Week of Mar. 16- Mar. 21
PR Volume 29
Spring Break for Madison City Schools will be Mar. 23- Mar. 27.
The school office will be closed.
This Week's Schedule Rotation
C WEEK is our schedule rotation for Mar. 16-20
HAPPENING AT DMS THIS WEEK
Monday, March 16
- DMS Baseball @ Buckhorn A Team 4:30/B Team 6:30
- DMS Soccer @ DMS vs Liberty MS Boys 5:00 Girls 6:30
- DMS Softball @ Buckhorn 4:30pm
- Math Team (Optional) Practice after school in Mrs. Goldston's Room
7th Gr Field Trip Monday, March 16
The 7th grade field trip has been rescheduled for Monday, March 16th to Grissom HS for the play.
DMS Spring Boys Basketball Tryouts for Rising 7th Gr Continues
Tuesday, March 17
- FCA at 7:15am in the DMS Library
- Current 7th Gr Boys Football Weight Room Workouts 3:30-4:30
- Cyber Security Meeting in STEM Academy at 3:15pm
- DMS Softball @ Meridianville Double Header @ 4pm and 5:30pm
- DMS Baseball vs Liberty MS @ DMS A Team 4/B Team 6:15
Reports Card will be sent home Tuesday, March 17
Wednesday, March 18
- First Priority will meet in Coach Brewer's Room at 7:15am
- Art Club will meet in Mrs. Spiegel's Room after School
- DMS Baseball vs Sparkman @ DMS A Team 4:30/B Team 6:30
- DMS Softball vs Sparkman @ DMS 4pm
HSV Literary Assoc. Young Writer's Contest due by March 18
Any 7th or 8th grade student entering the Huntsville Literary Association's Young Writers Contest please turn your entry in to Mrs. Dahlke by March 18th. Please see Mrs. Dahlke in room 522 if you have any questions. Thanks
Thursday, March 19
- Show Choir Rehearsal - 6:15-8:30 - Drop off and pick up at south end nearest Choir Room)
- Current 7th Gr Boys Football Weight Room Workouts 3:30-4:30
- DMS Softball vs Liberty MS @ DMS 4:00pm
- Scholar's Bowl Team Practice at 3:15pm in Mr. Sippel's Room
PE Dept. Make UP Fitness Test for 7th Graders
BJHS For Rising 9th Graders - Thursday, March 19
- Curriculum Fair: 5-7 p.m. in BJHS Central Commons Area (This is a wonderful opportunity to learn more about the course offerings!)
- Advanced Placement (AP) information meetings in the Media Center from 5:30 – 6:00 and 6:30 – 7:00. If your student is interested in taking an AP course next year, you will not want to miss this meeting.
- Rising 9th grade informational meetings in BJHS Auditorium from 5:30-6:00 and 6:30-7:00 (New students are also welcome to come to this meeting.)
Friday, March 20
- DMS Chess Team Practice 5:30-7pm at the MCS Central Office
Saturday, March 21
- DMS Baseball @ Muscle Shoals B Team 10am & 12:30pm - A Team 2pm & 4pm
- Chess Team competes in State Competition
Math Tutoring Available to Students
Math tutoring is offered to any student at the following times during the week.
7th Grade Math
Graham - Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday at 7:15-8:00am
Brooks - Monday at 3:20-4:20pm
Baragona - Tuesday at 3:20-4:20pm
Grayson - Thursday at 3:20-4:20pm
8th Grade Math
Garner - Monday at 3:15 -4:15pm
King - Tuesday at 3:15 -4:15pm
Baragona - Wednesday at 3:20-4:20pm
McGuire - Tuesday at 7:00am - 8:00am
Garner- Thursday at 3:15-4:15pm
8th Grade Algebra
King - Monday at 3:15 - 4:15pm
Maxwell - Tuesday at 3:15-4:15pm
McGuire - Wednesday at 7:00am - 8:00am
IMPORTANT INFO FOR DMS RISING 9TH GRADERS
Tuesday, March 31
- 4 year plans are due to Mrs. Moody. All plans must be signed by student and parent
- 9th grade course request forms and AP permission forms (if applicable) due to Mrs. Moody. All request forms must be signed by a parent.
April 1st through 3rd
- Rising 9th graders will enter course requests in iNow from DMS.
WAY TO GO PANTHERS
DMS Chess Team Wins 1st Place in State Chess Championship
Congratulations to the Discovery Middle School team members Michael Guthrie, Douglas Zhang, William Spanier, and Erin Kueck who won 1st place in the Junior High section of the State Chess Championship! Many thanks to Coaches Don Maddox and Bradley Denton who helped our team prepare all year to compete in this event, and to Coach Maddox for attending the tournament to coach our team.
DMS Math Team Wins 1st Place in State Mathcounts Competition
Discovery's team won 1st place! Not only did they win first place, but they won it with a comfortable margin. They were impressive!
Team: Justin Byers, Aditi Limaye, Tony Tian, and Corey Tolbert
We have two students in the top four individuals. Tony Tian won 2nd place, and Corey Tolbert won 3rd place. They will be competing in Boston as half of our state team. The other half of the state team are students at Pizitz Middle School. (Aditi Limaye was in 5th place and David Li was in 6th place. Four of the top six are Discovery students!)
Pizitz's team came in 2nd, with Liberty coming in 3rd. Considering there were fifteen teams, comprised of the brightest middle school math students in the entire state, having both Madison teams in the top three is an amazing accomplishment.
New AIME - Math Qualifier - Corey Tolbert
The AIME is a national math test. Students who score high enough on the AIME move to the next level, which consists of three seriously complex problems in about three hours. The ones who do the best on it comprise the US team for a global competition.
It is very impressive that Corey has qualified for the AIME as an 8th grader. Way to go!!
Huntsville Museum of Art - Visual Arts Achievement Blue Ribbon Winners
CONGRATULATIONS! DMS HAD TWO VAA BLUE RIBBON WINNER(S)!
STUDENT(S): Victoria Lee (Praying Matis on a Blossom) and Meredith Martin (Broken Fruit)
They were honored at a reception on Sunday at the HSV Museum of Art.
Their artwork will be sent to the Alabama State Council on the Arts in Montgomery for judging in a statewide exhibition.
UPCOMING EVENTS AT DMS
NEW DATE - DMS Registration Info Parent Meeting for Rising 7th Gr & 8th Gr - March 30
Attention all 6th Grade Soon to be Panther Parents:
This meeting will provide information about the MS Schedule, course catalog, and the spring registration process.
DMS Football/Competition Cheer Tryouts - Apr. 1 - 3
Girls need to wear black shorts and a plain white shirt to tryouts on Friday.
On the DMS website under "Competition Cheer" you can find the handbook and all of the forms that need to be filled out. The due date for the forms is Monday, March 30, 2015.
DMS Band Wants You - Rising 7th Gr and 8th Gr
Become a member of the Discovery Middle School program!!
The Discovery Middle School Band Program offers a variety of programs to suit the needs of the students and the community.
Students are encouraged to come and try some of the instruments to find the right instrument to ensure their success.
Please contact Mr. Monroe Murray Director of Bands firstname.lastname@example.org
Caption describing picture or graphic.
Discovery Middle School Band
1304 Hughes Rd Madison Al, 35758
Phone: 256-837-3735 ext 545
DMS Library Needs Volunteers for Spring Book Fair
The DMS Library will be hosting its annual Spring Scholastic Book Fair April 27 – May 1, 2015. There will be LOTS of new and exciting books available for all of your summer reading wants and needs!!! Please make plans to come by and check it out!
If you would like to volunteer to help at the Book Fair, please contact our PTA VP of Volunteers, Alisa Henrie at email@example.com .
FOR YOUR INFORMATION
BOB JONES HS EVENTS AND NEWS
BJHS Competition Cheer Squad Tryouts - Both Boys and Girls
When: March 17th & 18th
Where: BJHS Small Gym
Time: 4pm to 6pm
Try out Attire:
March 17th: White Shirt, Black Shorts
March 18th: Red Shirt, Blue Shorts
*Girls - Both days your hair should be in a high pony tail with a white bow.
Stop by Z. Williams room (N123) at Bob Jones or Emily Parkers room (524) at DMS to pick up an application or get more information. You can also contact Z. Williams at zwilliams@madisoncity,k12.al.us
BJHS PTSA Spirit Night at SteviB's Pizza - Monday, March 16
Support Bob Jones High School PTSA
Monday, March 16th 3pm-9pm
A percentage of your receipt (pre-tax) will go back to the help the BJHS PTSA!
*This includes food, drinks, To-Go orders & token sales.
Each guest must present a flyer for the organization to receive the donation percentage.
You don’t have to wait for dinner…come for lunch and bring your co-workers, relatives, friends and neighbors! Just present the flyer to the cashier.
*Tokens must be purchased at cash register, not in game room to be counted toward the fundraising total!
Please join us to support our fundraising efforts!
5510 Promenade Point, Madison, AL 35757 (256)325-9009
BJHS/DMS Girls Basketball Workouts
BJHS 2015 Football Registration Going On Now
DMS PTA INFORMATION
KEEP THOSE BOX TOPS COMING FOR DMS
Keep those Box Tops and Labels for Education coming in! Box Tops and Labels for Education are accepted year-round and can be turned into your student's first block teacher or to the front office. Visit these sites to view participating products:
Parents Contact Forms
Parents each year we like to make sure our contact information is update. This year we have tried to make it easier for you by updating online. Please take the time to go to the following link and update your info. This is a private document that will only be seen by your child's teacher and office staff. Thank you for your help.