Thank you for all you are doing to support our school and students. We are excited to begin planning some end of year events that should aid in closing our year positively. Please continue to look through your child's classdojo, email, social media and our school website for important details.
Planning for the 2021-2022 school year has already begun. Although we may continue to fight COVID-19, I am excited to have all our students back in the building. If you chose to opt out of in person learning for your child, teachers outside of Annistown will provide instruction. However, students will be able to participate in any Annistown activities that are planned. Additional details about the digital learning plan will be shared with parents by the district soon. If you have not shared your preference to opt out of in person learning with the school, please be sure to contact the front office as soon as possible. This information will help us in our planning process.
As of right now, we are planning on a pretty regular/normal school year next year. We have an amazing plan for instruction and many exciting family events, all while continuing to follow safety guidelines and precautions that are necessary to keep us all safe.
As we enter the last few weeks of school, I would like to remind our parents and students to stay present, stay focused, and stay diligent! With the thoughts of summer quickly approaching, it is easy to drift. We must continue to maximize every bit of time we have with our students.
Thank you again for your support. I look forward to a great finish to the school year.
Your Proud Principal,
Gwenda Nimmo - Smith
GCPS Strong Staff Appreciation Campaign
The 2020–21 school year has been a successful, yet challenging, year for our school community. However, our students, their families, and our faculty and staff have all worked together to show that together we are GCPSStrong.
Now, more than ever, your thanks, encouragement, and celebration of GCPS staff members is a meaningful way to show how much our community values public education and appreciates those who have helped our students through this challenging time.
Here are just a few ways to show your support:
· Send an eCard to a GCPS staff member! Visit http://bit.ly/GCPSStrongEcard, select one of five designs and complete the eCard submission form.
· Download printable Thank You Sheets! Families can print sheets with the same colorful designs to share a handwritten note with their child’s teachers, driver, school nutrition team, and other staff members! Find the printable sheets on our GCPSStrong web page: https://www.gcpsk12.org/gcpsstrong
· Say “Thank You” on your social media accounts! Join us in thanking these folks and all GCPS employees with a Thank You!” post on your social media accounts, using the #GCPSStrong hashtag.
· Add a #GCPSStrong profile frame! Show your support for GCPS and our students, staff, and schools with a #GCPSStrong profile frame on your Facebook account! For detailed instructions for adding a social media frame to your Facebook profile picture (and a how-to for sharing your new profile picture on other platforms), go to our GCPSStrong web page: https://www.gcpsk12.org/gcpsstrong
Thank you for all of your encouraging words shared about the AES staff. Keep them coming! Our staff really appreciates your kind words. Visit our webpage or click the button above to encourage our staff.
End of the Year Awards
Invitations will be sent out soon. Please see dates and times below.
Maldonado/Mercier: 9:30 – 10:30
Rhodes/Edwards: 11:00 – 12:00
Sears/Ramirez/M. Smith: 1:30 – 2:30
Williams/Mesa: 9:30 – 10:30
Cook/Besic: 11:30 – 12:30
Thompson/Hunt: 1:30 – 2:30
Clarke/Centeno: 9:30 – 10:30
Parks: 11:00 – 12:00
Curry/D. Smith: 1:45 – 2:30
Solera/King: 9:30 – 10:30
Fillinger/Domenech: 11:00 – 12:00
Babolola/Case-Gelly: 1:30 – 2:30
Medina/Stalsworth/D. Brown: 9:30 – 10:30
Hawkins/Edwards/Sawyer: 11:00 – 12:00
Device Return Plan
As we approach the end of the 2020-21 school year, we want to communicate our plan for device return to our school. All devices checked out to students must be returned and checked back in to the local school at the end of the 2020-21 school year If your student has a school-owned Chromebook, laptop, hot spot, or other device, please plan to return the device on one of the designated dates and times listed below.
Thursday, May 20, 2021 9:30 – 2:30
Friday, May 21, 2021 1:00 – 3:00
Device return will be located in the Gym. When returning your device, please bring all components, including chargers and mice; have the device fully charged and powered on in order to expedite the return process.
Devices will be assessed for damage upon return and fines may be assigned based on the damage in order to cover the cost of replacement parts and repairs. Fines can be paid by credit or debit card and cash only at the time of the return. If a device is returned in good condition, no fine will be assigned. Device services will be turned off and fines for replacing the device will be assigned if a device is not returned.
Please follow the steps listed below on device return dates:
1. Check In at the desk outside of the gym. Please have all components, including chargers and mice; have the device fully charged and powered on in order to expedite the return process.
2. Complete the top portion of the Device Return Checklist that will be provided for you.
3. Submit form to staff members at Station 2. Staff members at this station will assess the device for any damage. If device is returned with all components and in good condition, you will sign the checklist and leave the device with school personnel.
4. If the returned device is damaged, you will proceed to station 3 to pay the fine assigned. Once fees have been paid, you will sign the checklist and leave the device with school personnel.
Summer Enrichment and Acceleration Program
This summer’s learning experience for Gwinnett elementary and middle school students has been redesigned to support our students who may have experienced learning loss due to the pandemic. The goal is to help students get a head start on next year’s learning. Students will have the opportunity to expand their learning in Math, ELA and other Special courses. This opportunity is available in an in-person format only and there is no cost to participate. Students who prefer a digital learning environment can access online lessons and activities for summer enrichment by logging into the MyeCLASS student portal.
Class sizes will be small and health and safety practices (masks, distancing, etc.) will remain in effect during this summer learning time.
Students will attend the SEA program from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. during the three-week session (June 14-July 2).
If you received an invitation to participate in this program, please be sure to submit your application by Wednesday, May 5, 2021. If your child did not receive an application and you would like them to be considered, please contact Mr. David Baker via email (email@example.com) for your child to be added to our waiting list.
Kindergarten Registration and Rising K Academy
Parents interested in applying for our Dual Language Immersion (DLI) program can apply using this link. https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=-VzmfS4_Z06kaZZbDQhfu4wDT3rFIB1Nkl84oIqUJodUNTBESTlRN1JJM1o3WEhKNjA5OU5SUkkzNC4u
Summer Reading Program
Start training for the 2021-2022 school year by building your stamina this Summer. We are encouraging all Annistown Generals to participate in our Summer Reading Program.
We are requesting that our students complete “Reading Sprints” each day during the Summer. Reading sprints are when you read as many pages as you can, for a given time period, while still comprehending the text. Students will keep track of their reading on a log and complete fun activities every three weeks. The program will run from June 1st-July 30th. Students will earn prizes throughout each phase of the program. If all activities are completed, students' names will be entered into our SNEAKER GIVEAWAY.
Use the link below for additional details. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IbbnCW3wCzlX0r0gLJL7jStmdJ3IkyQGYO2xmTieXn0/edit?usp=sharing
Parent Center Connection
Reading is a fundamental component to a successful learning experience. The article listed below lists online sources for different types of texts that can be utilized at home with your child.