Google Meets New Updates
Get Ready! New platform changes coming in May!
New Google Meet Layout Update
Some of the updates include:
- Being able to see your presentation when sharing your screen
- Being able to unpin the presentation, to see all your participants
- All the buttons in one location, so you have more room to see your participants.
- Participant names are always visible regardless of meeting size
- When someone speaks, their tile will be outlined in blue
- When you hover over your video feed for options between a tile in the grid or a floating picture. You can also resize, reposition, and hide it to concentrate on the call.
How do I know when I am receiving the new Google Meet update?
- Users will see a banner before joining a Google Meet that says “Meet has a new look” once you see this message, your Google Meet has been updated to the new version.
- There is no way to prevent the new update and it is needed for the optimal experience utilizing Google Meets
- The use of any Chrome extensions (including the Grid View extension, Nod, etc.) could impact your experience. So, we recommend you Uninstall any extensions that interact with Google Meet to resolve any issues.
New Layout Guide
As part of the new update, the controls for Google Meet will be located at the bottom of the screen, rather than in different corners of the screen. This will help give the audience more room to see the meeting attendees. The toolbar will always be displayed as well, rather than hiding when not in use.
See below for a guide of the new layout:
What is Google Meets?
Connects and converts any space to a video meeting with a single click. Simple to use with lots of features to provide access to all. Google Meets can be used to enhance instruction with students with live instructions and check-ins. You can also use this tool to hold departmental or school-wide meetings of a maximum of 250 people.
- Google Meets provides Dial-in phone numbers for every meeting. With G Suite, every meeting automatically includes its own dial-in details. Guests can dial in quickly with just two taps on their smartphone.
- Google Meets also works with G Suite Calendar. Calendar information is available directly within the meeting so you can quickly catch up on the agenda and meeting details
How do I use Google Meets?
Create a new event with a video meeting
- When you add a guest to an event, a video meeting link and dial-in number are added automatically.
- Go to Google Calendar and create an event.
- On the Guests tab, click Add guests and enter the email addresses.
- Click Save.
- Click Send to send the invites.
- Guests receive an email with the event information and a link to the video meeting. Guests can forward the meeting link to other people.
- If someone tries to join who was not invited to the Calendar event, a meeting participant from your organization must accept their request.
Note: To manually add a video meeting, click Add conferencing.