Lakeview Staff Newsletter - March 20
Everything I needed to know in life I learned in ... Oh, wait
As I write this, it is exactly 7 days since I came on the announcements and said we all needed to pack up for the next few weeks. What have you learned in the last week? Remember "All I really need to know, I learned in kindergarten"? Here's a quick, funny list for me right now:
1. I've learned that it is possible to work really hard all day but never put shoes on
2. I've learned that I need to decorate a place in my house with a good background for Google Hangouts
3. With 4 other people in the house, I've learned there's never a good place for a Google Hangout
4. I'm not sure how any of this would have worked 20 years ago without conference calls, Hangouts, and webinars.
5. I've learned that this is when you really rely on teammates to share the load.
6. I'm learning that it is important to disconnect at set times
7. I've learned that the turkeys in our neighborhood are really active at this time of year!
What have your learned?
Happy spring break ... whatever that might mean for you this year!
• Virtual staff meetings are scheduled for Wednesday, April 1st. Just for staff that would normally attend meetings. 4K-2 at 9:00 and 3-5/Specialists at 10:00. I invited many people to both - feel free to attend both or just pick one.
• If you have electronic resources that you think would be valuable for students and families, please send them to Tammy Lind.
• If you need to call a family, dialing *67 from your personal phone still works to hide your number.
• Forward Testing looks to be cancelled. See this link, which is brand new info.
• Seems strange to say, but please do not make any further budget requests at this time. We are about to the point in the year where this would have happened anyway, but with our current situation, I will not approve budget requests except in rare circumstances.
• Read-alouds - Continue to follow the guidance of the district and only post read-alouds in closed networks (SeeSaw, Google Classroom). Copyright laws don't stop for the Coronavirus.
• Please give the documents in the student packet a close read. These are the packets that will go out on Monday, March 30 in several formats. Really use this time to be an expert at what is in the packet (you already are experts at it ... I mean really know what it contains so that you can direct families to appropriate activities when they ask).
• You can insert community-building activities with students in your closed network. How about a SeeSaw question like "What game did you play today?" or "What act of kindness did you do today for a family member?" or "What chores are you doing at home right now?"
Link to this week's family newsletter - doesn't exist right now, in order to keep only the essential communications from the district office "front and center" to families
Personal Day Blackouts - here is a link to blackout days for elementary personal days.