VO News You Can Use
Dr. O's Weekly Parent Newsletter
NCSD Mission Statement
Developing each student's potential with a world class education.
December 9, 2019
Dear Village Oaks Families,
Greetings! As the temperature drops outside, it’s important that students dress accordingly to face the frigid weather conditions. As long as the wind chill factor is above zero degrees we will go outside for recess. To ensure students are comfortable outside during the winter season please make sure they are wearing winter coats, hats, and gloves to school. On days where snow is on the ground please send students to school in winter boots as well. If you are having any difficulties getting these items please contact me for assistance.
A few reminders:
- Reports card are viewable via Parent Portal on 12/9.
- Panda Express Restaurant Fundraiser on 12/11 (see flyer below).
Coffee With The Superintendent
VO Spirit Week
VO Science Olympiad
Village Oaks Elementary School is planning to participate in Science Olympiad. The main tournament will take place on 6/6/2020 at Schoolcraft College, Livonia, MI. An Introductory meeting happened on Thursday November 21th, 2019 at 6.30 p.m. in our Media Center.
A few important notes:
1. This event is for 3rd and 4th graders only. We will have two separate teams for 3rd grade and 4th grade, with maximum 16 students from each grade.
2. There are a total of 16 events and participation in all events is mandatory for each team. Each event will have 2 participants, meaning each team will have 32 student slots.These 32 slots for each team can be filled by a maximum of 16 students, with each student participating in 2 events. Each team will have up to 16 students. If there are less than 16 students on a team, one can participate in more than 2 events.
3. So far we’ve received confirmation from 13 students from 4th grade and 11 students from 3rd grade, meaning, there are 3 vacant slots for 4th grade and 5 vacant slots for 3rd grade. These 8 slots will be filled on a first come first serve basis. Please confirm your participation through email to firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Team formation will be done by the end of next week once all entries are in.There will be a meeting next month between all participating kids and their parents.
5. One parent of each participating student will be either a 4th grade or 3rd grade coach for each individual event. Any parent who has past coaching experience with Science Olympiad events are more than welcome to guide others. Coaching sessions will start the second week of January and go through May, depending on event needs.
Volunteer contact: Ural Kota (248.979.8863)/email@example.com
Link to WOSO website: http://wayneoaklandso.weebly.com/
NCSD PAASN Family Event
Our PAASN group is proud to present Educational Success Night, a free event.
Who: Everyone/All Grades are welcome
When: Thursday, December 12
Time: 6:30 PM
Where: Novi Public Library
Guest Speaker: Mark Mayberry, of Exam Experts
There will be presentations on: Universities/Colleges, Scholarships, Skilled Trades, Entrepreneur Resources, and Education Abroad Options
Questions? Please call Troy and Paula Henry at 734-369-1222 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
VO School Day Conversations
- You have heard Words of Wisdom during the morning announcements discussing how special and unique students are, much like snowflakes. What makes you unique?
- Kindness is a behavior that is promoted and celebrated at VO. When was the last time someone was kind to you at school and how did it make you feel?
- What is the buddy bench and how is it used during recess?
At VO, we have HEART!
In Novi Community School District we believe in promoting high expectations for academics, meeting the emotional well being of our students and celebrating positive behavior for all of our learners.
At Village Oaks Elementary, we are building a culture of collaboration, leadership, and citizenship. As a school community, we strive to:
- Have a growth mindset
- Empathize and show kindness
- Act responsibly
- Respect everyone
- Team up and collaborate with others
Team up and Collaborate
Enjoy a picture of VO student leaders showing off a completed clay tray from Art which they worked on as a team!
Volunteer and Donation Opportunities
Our VOICE (PTO Organization) is seeking volunteers for chairpersons for several of our committees. If you have interest in volunteering with VOICE during this school year, please check out the Sign Up Genius link below. If you'd like more information, please contact Debbie Luke at email@example.com
Yearbook Committee Seeking Photos
Do you have some great photos you would love to see in the yearbook?
Please submit them to the Yearbook Committee e-mail: VOYearbookPTO@gmail.com
Be sure to include a description of the event/activity in the photo, as well as the class if appropriate.
Save the date for Spring Fling! April, 24, 2020
We need many volunteers for this event to be successful. If you have any questions about a committee position please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please consider volunteering by using the link below to sign up.
One of the things that makes our building so special is our diverse student population--we have families in our community who come from all over the world! To celebrate our global diversity we have hung flags in our cafeteria that represent many of the countries of our VO families. As a gift from VO retirees we were given flags of the following countries: Israel, India, United Kingdom, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Nigeria, South Korea, China, and USA. Thank you to our parents who have also donated the following flags: Poland, Singapore, Japan, Germany, Finland, Ireland, Nepal, Greece, Pakistan, Uruguay, Ecuador, Portugal, Spain, Central African Republic, South Africa, Wales, Iceland, Australia, Armenia, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Russia, Scotland and Yemen. If you would like to purchase a flag of your country of origin or to represent one of the many nationalities of our school please visit Amazon and search for an ANLEY 3x5 flag: VO Flags
Before purchasing and donating the flag to our school’s collection please contact me or one of our secretaries with the flag information so we can make sure that another family has not already ordered the same flag.
This year NCSD elementary schools will partner with Playworks to enhance the learning experiences for students throughout the district. Playworks is the leading nonprofit in Michigan and nationally using play to transform schools. A Playworks recess creates a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. Please click on the link below and read the attached Playworks article to learn more about our partnership and Patrice our Playworks Coach!
12/9/19--Report cards viewable in MiStar
12/23/19--1/5/20--Winter Break No School
1/13/20--VOICE Mtg 7:00pm
1/20/20--MLK Day No School
1/22/20--Bonaventure Skate Night 6:00pm-8:30pm
1/30/20--Pizza Kit Pick-up 1:30pm-5:30pm
2/7/20--VOICE Family Fun Night
2/11/20--Second Grade Concert 6:30pm-7:30pm
2/17/20 & 2/18/20--Mid-Winter Break No School
Parent Pick-up/Parking & Bus Stop Expectations
As you pick-up and drop off your children please be mindful of the following:
- Do not park in front of our neighbors' driveways or mailboxes.
- Park in our parking lot and keep your pet in your car.
- For the safety of our students do not walk your children through our bus loop as students are loading/exiting our busses.
- Stay in your car as you drive through our car loop.
- Please do not drop off children before 8:55am. We do not have any supervision outside prior to this time.
- If you arrive late, please walk your child into the office and sign them in.
We ask that you remind your children that VO expectations/rules apply at our bus stops. We expect all of our students to be on their best behavior as they wait for their bus and we appreciate your help.
Thank you for your support!
Please remember if there is a change in your child's CARE schedule you need to notify Holly Bengle no later than 3:15. She will then contact the teachers. Holly Bengle can be reached at
email@example.com or (248) 449-1307.
VO 2018 National Blue Ribbon Exemplary School
Village Oaks Elementary
VO school hours: 9:08 am-4:00 pm
Office hours: 8:30 am-4:30 pm
Attendance line: 248.449.1301
Office phone number: 248.449.1300