In the Balanced Literacy Classroom
May 24, 2017 / San Antonio, TX
Igniting a Passion for Reading!
- Student-led Discussion Groups in a Balanced Literacy Program
- Literature Circle Essentials
- Providing "Just Right" Texts for Student Choices
- Integrating Comprehension Strategy Practice
- Ways to Help Develop Student Autonomy in Critical Thinking
- Using the The Gradual Release of Responsibility to Establish Independent Reading Behaviors
- How to Start with Literature Circle Roles
- Accountable Discussion Tips
- Teaching Social Skills through Participation in Discussion Groups
- Listening and Speaking Skills
- Motivation Strategies
- Preparing for Discussions through Drawing and Writing
- Fluency Practice Ideas
- How to Create a Summer Reading Program
- Using Technology Tools to Respond to Reading
- Setting Up Virtual Discussion Groups using a Secure Online Reading Discussion Platform
- Authentic Text Suggestions
- Real Classroom Examples
- Author Studies
- And Much More!!!
Meet the Presenters
Randi Anderson is an elementary educator, blogger, and staff developer. She taught third and fourth grade at Title I schools in the Fort Worth area. Before entering the classroom, Randi studied early childhood education and English as a second language at The University of Texas at Austin. Reading comprehension is her Jam! She has a passion for making learning authentic, engaging, and rigorous for all. Ms. Anderson has been presenting for Kelly Harmon & Associates for three years.
$225 per participant
10% discount for groups booking 4 or more!
You can register by faxing, Calling, or Emailing your registration form in.
Purchase Orders are accepted.
Please Make Checks or Purchase Orders out to Kelly Harmon & Associates.
Call (817) 583-1290
Fax (972) 369-7327
For more Information Please contact us!
"Very meaningful seminar! Being able to apply a hands on approach where students are able to take ownership in their learning across the content is great!" -Corina G.
"Best one yet! Loved it! Great resources & strategies!" - Lindsay T.
"High energy, interesting presentation! Very useful information and materials!" Luis P.
Literature Circles & Summer Reading Workshop
Wednesday, May 24th, 8:30am
San Antonio, TX, United States
San Antonio, TX
Registration Begins at 8:00am
Morning Session: 8:30am-11:30am
Lunch on your own
Afternoon Session: 12:30pm-3:30pm
Wifi is provided
We encourage you to bring an iPad or laptop.
6 Hours of Professional Development
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Check Out Kelly Harmon's Book!
Kelly Harmon & Robert Marzano teamed up to write Practicing Skills, Strategies, & Processes. The book is part of the Essentials for Achieving Rigor Series.
Practicing Skills, Strategies, & Processes: Classroom Techniques to Help Students Develop Proficiency explores explicit techniques for mastering this crucial strategy of instructional practice. It includes:
- Explicit steps for implementation
- Recommendations for monitoring students’ ability to develop fluent thinking
- Adaptations for students who struggle, have special needs, or excel in learning
- Examples and non-examples from classroom practice
- Common mistakes and ways to avoid them