Did you know?
Otherwise known as hot chocolate, The Warming House provides this delicious winter staple and has all sorts of flavors including drinks with ganache and fun ingredients like cayenne! You can check them out at local events throughout winter!
You get to jump into freezing cold water!
But don't worry, it's for a good cause! The Polar Plunge donates proceeds to helping Special Olympics AND you can dress up like these people! Interested? Visit: http://www.plungemn.org/
You have no excuse to not eat your veggies!
Even though you can't get out to visit farmers markets, they've moved the Mill City Farmers' Market inside the Mill City Museum and The Midtown Farmers' Market heads into the Midtown Global Market!
You get to jump into freezing cold water!
1. Julia Brekke
2. I have been with the Aurora since Feb 2014 as a direct service advocate and office advocate.
3. My guilty pleasure TV show is Gilmore Girls. I love the dynamic between Rory and her mom.
4. Over winter break I have lots of relaxing plans! I bought a spa package on GroupOn (mani, pedi, facial) to do with a friend, am spending a weekend in Los Angeles visiting a friend and taking a cooking class at Cooks of Crocus Hill in St. Paul with my brother and mom.
5. I have felt relatively calm this year during finals... The senior slide is in full effect!
6. My family always watches the Chevy Chase movie "Christmas Vacation" on New Years Eve. It never gets old!
2. I've been with TAC for almost a year as a VPE
3. I don't really believe in the concept of guilty pleasures...that being said, How To Get Away With Murder is awfully addictive
4. I'm happy to say that all I have to do this winter break is work a bit and watch TV
5. During finals I accidentally started playing a new app game, so 'distracted' is probably the best word to describe me during that week
We've got a new staff member! Meet Andrew!
Hello fellow Staff and Volunteers of The Aurora Center,
My name is Andrew Vue, a new student staff member joining you all this year. The position I hold is the Men’s Engagement Student Coordinator position. I am currently a second year student majoring in Communication Studies. I am a transfer student from the University of Minnesota Duluth campus so this is actually my first year here at the Twin Cities campus. However, I have always lived within the surrounding suburbs of the Twin Cities so I have some knowledge of Minneapolis and St. Paul. As for my hobbies and interests I have many. I enjoy the great outdoors and wild life that Minnesota has to offer. I love to and try to always be active. Some activities I enjoy are; hiking, jogging, sports and any kid of physical activity. I love to learn new things and I am always looking for new opportunities to learn. As for my background, my ethnicity is Hmong and I identify as a heterosexual male. I look forward to and I am excited to start working with each of you here at the Aurora Center. Thank you for having me!
Get to know... Your resources!
For all volunteers, there are numerous resources for you to be aware of and provide to clients and/or audiences at presentations or tabling and outreach events. This section is meant to highlight a few resources to get to know them better.
(1-866-233-1111) This is the #1 Go-To resource for shelters in Minnesota. Day One provides a single phone number connected to all of Minnesota's domestic violence shelters (as well as safe places for victims of sexual assault or sex trafficking). They are able to provide transportation to and from shelters, which is important since most of the time, metro area shelters are full and the only available space is in Greater MN.
Law Help MN
UCCS SPRING GROUPS!
About our groups and workshops:
Each semester University Counseling and Consulting Services (UCCS) offers counseling groups and workshops, in which students share difficulties, learn new skills and strategies, practice new behaviors, and get feedback in a safe, supportive environment. Some groups and workshops meet for a semester, others for 3 weeks, and some are continuing.
How to join a group or workshop
Call UCCS at 612-624-3323 or come to 340 Appleby Hall, where you can obtain more information about any of our groups and workshops.
Training and Educational Opportunities
Online Educational Video Collection
I have some good news for you: did you know that University of Minnesota - Twin Cities has access to the MEF online streaming video collection?
This means that you (as well as all staff, faculty & students at your school) may access all of the 140+ videos in the MEF collection, including popular titles like Killing Us Softly 4, Tough Guise 2, The Codes of Gender, and White Like Me. Your librarian or library liaison may have already told you that your school has purchased a MEF streaming video collection, but if not, I wanted to let you know so that you can use it!
You can access your school's streaming MEF collection here:
If you access the MEF streaming video collection from off-campus, you'll simply need to sign into to your school's account, much like you would to access databases and electronic journals from the library.
I hope you find it to be a useful and dynamic tool. Be sure to let your colleagues and students know that this is available for them!
Elect Her- Campus Women Win
Saturday, Feb. 7th 2015 at 9:30-11:30am
Coffman Memorial Union Building, Minneapolis, MN, United States
Annual MLK Tribute!
Thursday, Jan. 22nd 2015 at 7:30-8:45pm
2128 4th Street South
These concerts are free of charge and open to the public; no advance tickets or reservation required!
For more information on events during MLK Jr. Week click here!
MLK Jr. Tribute Video Contest
Wednesday, Dec. 31st, 9pm
100 Church Street Southeast
Yes, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which recommends those aged 13–64 be tested routinely. December 1st is World Aids Day—but Boynton Health Service offers confidential HIV testing and counseling all year-round. Call 612-625-3222 for an appointment. Learn more...
The GLBTA Programs Office has a new blog and we need bloggers! The application link can be found here!
- Shelter Advocate: Alexandra House, Inc. http://www.minnesotanonprofits.org/job-details?id=90681
- Housing First Case Manager: The Link http://www.minnesotanonprofits.org/job-details?id=90608
- Therapy Trainee: Fraser http://www.minnesotanonprofits.org/job-details?id=90539
- Program Operations Intern: Project Footsteps http://www.minnesotanonprofits.org/job-details?id=90573
- Women's Advocate: Mid-Minnesota Women's Center http://www.minnesotanonprofits.org/job-details?id=90534
- Direct Service Associate: Listening House of St. Paul http://www.minnesotanonprofits.org/job-details?id=90490
- Volunteer Services Support Coordinator: Jeremiah Program http://www.minnesotanonprofits.org/job-details?id=90438
- Criminal Justice Intervention Advocate: Cornerstone Advocacy Service http://www.minnesotanonprofits.org/job-details?id=90367
- Assistant Project Coordinator: GLBTA Programs Office Apply online at employment.umn.edu (Requisition #: 195963)
Beyond Expectations & Salutations
Congrats to Haley for her new role writing for the Daily!
Lacie, Haley, Sarah F, Alyssa M, Kathryn S, James M, and Allison H you will all be missed this next semester! Have a wonderful time with your travels and internships!
Kudos to Julia Q for her first hospital call! Great work!
We bow to Kelsy K and Emily M for their help with our door decoration! We won 'best holiday theme'!
Round of applause to Emily M for traveling to the Government Center to drop off an OFP!