Hi Conway #OneFamily!
Welcome back to another awesome week in Cougarland! We hope you enjoyed your weekend and had some time to rest and relax with your kiddos and loved ones. It's a busy week so let's get to it :)
Top News for this week:
- Growth Assessments (Like SOL assessments): On Tuesday and Thursday, all 3rd - 5th graders will take these assessments. Reading on Tuesday and Math on Thursday. These are tests that are required by VDOE. They are shorter than SOL assessments and there are not pass or fail scores. They are merely to help us understand what students were able to learn last year during the pandemic. We don't expect them to take near as much time as the typical SOLs take. While there is not a pass or fail score, we are still pushing our kiddos to try their best and to put their best effort so we have an accurate reflection of their learning.
- Times for school: As you saw last week, they are changing the start time for middle and high schools and elementary schools that are on shift 1. We are shift 2 so our times will not change. I know that this change is hard for many high school and middle school parents. I am very sorry that you have to endure one more thing. Unfortunately, to help fix some of the bus issues they are having, this was necessary. Again, our times do not change here at Conway.
- National Hispanic Heritage Month: Welcome officially to National Hispanic Heritage month. Every month, we will do our best to ensure we are recognizing all of our heritages. Here are some great resources for your family to learn more about and to celebrate this beautiful heritage: https://www.hispanicheritagemonth.gov/
- Holiday: I have deeply apologize to our Jewish families here at Conway. I failed to honor your family's holiday of Yom Kippur on Wed/Thursday. “G’mar chatima tova" to you and yours.
- Substitute teachers: We are looking for some awesome subsitute teachers that can help support our classrooms when our teachers are absent. If you are interested in subbing, please take a look at the flyer that is attached to this email. In addition, you can also reach out to me so we can get you connected. This is an incredible way for your family to make some additional money (over $100 a day); help serve your community; and do it while staying on your child's schedule. You can bring your children and take them back home with you after your day. Can't sub on a day, just say that you can't. You make the decision on your schedule. We will train you and make sure you are ready. Please consider this great opportunity. We are desperate for great people like you to help support our classrooms.
- Family Council Meeting: This Thursday at 5:00 PM, I will be leading our first Family Council meeting. This will be a monthly meeting that I lead to get your input and feedback, to discuss current topics, and to plan any future ideas for Conway. This meeting will be virtual (this is a change) for the first time. We hope to move it in person sooner than later. To join this great conversation, please use this link or go to https://meet.google.com/avq-kdks-pju
Thanks for your support and for being a part of our Conway #Onefamily!
P.S. Our Weekly Morning Announcements are below. We will show these in class, but would like for parents to be able to see as well :)
- Social Emotional Survey: Over the next few weeks, our teachers will be giving our 3rd - 5th graders a survey to help us better understand their social emotional needs. Our K-2 teachers will each do the survey for their children. Here is a letter explaining this awesome tool that we began using last year in SCPS.
- Clothes Collection: At Conway, we have a clothes pantry named "Lily's Closet" (in memory of one of our students we lost to cancer a few years ago) that we can immediately access for any child that is in need of clothing. This could be due to a spill OR it could because they do not have any clothing at home. Within minutes, a child can have a new set of clothes on their back and/or a new set of clothes to wear daily. To keep this great closet functional, we are in need of the following donations to help us replenish some of our stock:
NEW underwear of all sizes but especially sizes 12/14, 16/18
NEW Socks of all sizes
New or excellent condition girls shoes (especially size 2/3)
New or excellent condition girls clothes size 12/14 and 16/18 (especially pants)
To donate them, please send them in with your child and have them drop them off in the office OR please just bring them into the front office. Thank you greatly for your help.
- 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: We will begin to really jump into the 7 Habits beginning this month. If you want to know more about the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People or wish to support them at home, here is a letter that explains them. We have the posters attached to the email as well if you wish to use them at home.
- Hostesses Substitute: We are looking for a person that would be willing to help us serve kiddos lunch and support them in the cafeteria / or classroom when they are eating lunch. This position would only be once in a while when our cafeteria hostesses have to be out. Maybe only a few times a month. If you are interested, please reach out to me.
- PTA Meeting this Thursday at 6:00 PM: Please join us for our monthly PTA meeting this Thursday at 6:00 PM. We will be voting for our new positions on the board and will be making some plans for the coming months. The meeting will be virtual. Join us by using the link below:
Video call link: https://meet.google.com/hnt-nskx-soa
Or dial: (US) +1 415-634-7614 PIN: 922 610 958#
- Please Join the PTA: Our PTA is incredible but they need YOU. Please consider joining at https://www.conwayespta.com/join. There are some perks as well besides just helping out Conway. You can also find the flyer attached.
How to Translate Smore
- How to Translate Smore newsletters: If you would like to translate this newsletter into another language, please click on these links for directions on how to do that. Directions in English click here. Directions in Espanol click here. Directions in Pashto click here . Directions in Dari click here.
Food Pantry: Every Tuesday behind St. George's Church (downtown Fredericksburg) from 12-2 pm they provide free fresh produce donated from local farms. In addition, families/individuals can obtain dairy products, bread, and meats - all for free. But you must arrive early to get these limited items. The Fred bus stops at the church. Click Here for more details:
FredFoodVA: Download this App to locate all of the food resources in the area.
- Family Resource Access Line - This free communication tool helps provide equitable access to SCPS resources. Families may leave a message for translators in seven native languages: Arabic, Dari, Farsi, French, Pashto, Spanish, and Urdu. Translators will return your call in 2 business days. To access this service, please call (571) 492-9270.
This feedback button will be here every week. Please use it to commend a teacher or staff member or provide feedback to help us get better at serving your family and kiddo.