Ola Middle School Parent Newsletter
Did you know that...
- We implement the Second Step Social and Emotional Learning Curriculum in all of our classes each Monday during student flex time.
- We implement an IF (instructional focus) period daily in 7th and 8th grades that provides us a focused time to intervene, remediate and extend learning opportunities for students based on needs.
- Efforts to improve school safety include a single point of entry, all classrooms doors remain closed and locked throughout the day, all exterior doors remain locked, staff supervision at car rider and bus lanes, and the implementation of lockdown and shelter in place drills.
- We added Parent Tech Cafe opportunities to help parents broaden their understanding of the many digital resources that students utilize at school.
- We are in year one of our PBIS (Positive Behavior Supports) initiative. This year is focused on research and training.
- Coffee and Conversation for parents has been added as a way for parents to access and connect with school administrators and support staff. The first parent Coffee and Conversation event was held on November 21st. Look for another opportunity next 9 weeks.
- OMS Leadership is participated in the Shadow a Student Challenge Day on November 14th. This day was set aside for school and district level leadership to walk in the shoes of our students in an effort to gain a stronger understanding of the student experience in our schools.
We need all parents to participate in our CCRPI Survey.
The Georgia School Climate Star Rating, which is part of the state’s CCRPI Accountability system, is a diagnostic tool, used by the Georgia Department of Education (GA DOE) to determine if a school is on the right path to developing and maintaining a positive school climate. The responses from three (3) stakeholder surveys (Students, Parents, and School Personnel) serve as major components of a school’s School Climate Star Rating.
Each school will administer three (3) surveys to selected school stakeholder groups.
Each survey link provides for anonymous, direct submission of the survey’s response to the GA DOE. The Student Health Survey is also available in Spanish. Students may select the Spanish version within the survey.
The district has developed a survey landing page that will provide access to each stakeholder survey, which is accessible in the link above.
OMS Monthly Events
Please check the OMS website for updates
- 7/8 Concert Band Rehearsal 7:30 a.m.
- Beta Convention
- BB vs SMS - Boys @ Home, Girls away
- Wrestling @ LGM
- Beta Convention
- Celebrate Learning in Henry County Schools Day!
Spirit night at the Lake Dow Zaxby's (band) 5-8pm
- BB vs DMS - Boys away, Girls @ home
- Wrestling @ SMS
- 7/8 Band Winter Concert 7 p.m. OMS Gym
- BB vs ARMS - Boys @ Home, Girls away
- Band UGA Midfest Trip
- OMS Hosting Vex IQ Tournament @ Ola Elementary
- Wrestling (H) vs LMS and MMS
- Wrestling (H) HMS
- Orchestra Dress Rehearsal 4-5:30 pm
Spirit night at the Lake Dow Zaxby"s (Ola FFA) 5-8pm
Due to an altered lunch schedule during exam days we ask that parents do not plan to visit during lunch (December 17-20).
- Orchestra Winter Concert @ Bethany 7 pm
- BB vs LMS - Boys away, Girls @ home
- Semester Exams
- Wrestling @ home - UGM/ELM/ARM
- Semester Exams
- BB vs WMS - Boys @ home, Girls away
- Semester Exams
December 20 - EARLY RELEASE DAY / End of Semester
- Winter Pep Rally
SEMESTER BREAK - December 21 - January 7
- First Day Back for Students - 2nd Semester Begins
- Wrestling @ DMS
- Parent Cafe @ 6 p.m.
- BB vs UGMS - Boys away, Girls @ home
- Vex IQ Tournament
- Wrestling Duals
Help us ensure that all OMS students are reading on and above grade level!
Please make sure that your child has a book with his/her every day! We are working to build our Lexile levels on a regular basis, and one of the best ways to do this is through READING! Our next MAP assessment will be coming up before the end of the semester, and it is our goal that ALL students will improve their Lexile level on the reading test!
Beginning December, 2019, we will be sending home a letter to parents any time a student needs to have a chromebook repaired due to hardware damage, such as a broken display or keyboard.
The letter will need to be signed by parents and returned to the Chrome Dome in order for students to be issued a spare to use while the assigned chromebook is in repair. If a student is on their 3rd damaged device, students will not receive a spare and parents will receive an invoice to pay for damages.
** Please be aware that your student may already have damaged the Chromebook this school year therefore may be on their 2nd or 3rd break when you get the first letter.
Media Center News...
At OMS, we encourage all students to be readers and we have set up a reading goal for students to read 3700 pages by May. Students have a reading log where they can keep track of the books they read and page numbers. Students can pick up a new reading log in the media center. There will be a celebration for students who have met ½ way to their goal (1800 pages) in December. Keep encouraging your students to read for 20 minutes a day at home. This will help them in all academic areas. One great way to encourage reading in the home is for you and your child to read the same book. Contact Ms. Harp if you need suggestions of books you and your child will both enjoy.
Thanks for your support of the Fall Book Fair! This was a great success and we appreciate all of the parent volunteers and support. The profits from the book fair will be used for books, guest speakers, and Skype with the Author events.
Have you talked to your child about their digital life and what they do online? If you are looking for a place that has everything you need to know about cell phones, social media, and parenting in the digital world, check out Common Sense Media at www.commonsensemedia.org Students will be learning about digital citizenship skills in the upcoming month. This includes being safe online, how they treat people online, and making good decisions online.
Reading Bowl Update-
The Reading Bowl meets on Tuesday mornings at 8:00 a.m. in the media center.
The Chess Club meets on Wednesday mornings at 8:00 a.m. in the media center.
Christi Harp, Media Specialist
Ola Middle School
Meet the OMS Mustang Staff
Please Check the OMS PTO Facebook page to sign up for our Christmas staff luncheon On December 13th.
We are pleased to offer Spirit Day at SCOOPS McDonough the first Monday of every month this year.
Hey Parents!! Do you own your own business, work for a great company, or do regular business with a company that would consider becoming one of our PARTNERS IN EDUCATION? Your donation is 100% tax deductible! It only takes a $250 donation to get your company's name on our school sign! Many of our Ola parents have seen great results in sales from this board as #WeAreOla! And choose to business first and foremost within our community.
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND! Volunteer Wednesdays The PTO is recruiting parents to assist with making copies, etc. to help lighten the load for our teachers. Teachers will have their needed items in the back workroom, by the commons area, by 9:00 am and they will pick up their finished items. The Media Center also needs help shelving books and special projects. Sign up here:
Thank you for you support of our OMS PTO!
We love our Partners in Education. Contact us to learn how to get your name on our sign and support our school.
School Safety Updates....
- Transportations may not be made by phone or by text to your child. All transportation changes must be in writing with signature of the enrolling parent and submitted to the front office.
- NEW FOR THE 19-20 SCHOOL YEAR - HCS Middle Schools do not open for students until 7:45 a.m.
- Please do not drop students off before 7:45 a.m. Student supervision does not start until 7:45 a.m. each morning. There is a safety concern for students who are dropped off prior to that time.
Thank you to our OMS PTO Partners in Education!!!!
Partner in Education
We welcome our new sponsor of Ola Middle School, Family Orthodontics - Dr. Ryan Richard, click here for a special offer and free consultation for braces:
Toys for Tots - FFA
FFA is collecting packaged toys for Toys for Tots Toy Drive.
Students can bring items to Ms. Huff’s room until December 16th.