the Great War
WWI: Causes, Trenches, Tech, and People
1. What conditions in Europe led to World War I?
View the linked video to refresh your memory regarding the causes of WWI then fill in the blank below: MAIN CAUSES of WWI
Event that "sparked" the war? ___________________
3. Trench Warfare
- Why was trench warfare necessary in World War I?
- What was the worst part of trench life?
- Explain how would trench foot impact military success?
5. What does the phrase "living history" mean? How does the passing away of WWI veterans change the history of WWI?
Consider reading the following article before responding: "Britain's Very Last World War One Veterans"
6. General John Pershing: What Makes for a Good Military Leader?
- Search for a brief bio on General Pershing then create a statement, in your words, that describes General Pershing's contributions to WWI. (why is he famous and remembered? what was his role?)
Try your hand at generalship by playing one of the two following games:
9. Identify all military tech pictured in the following images
- Type of weapon
- Purpose of weapon (hand-to-hand, crossing no mans land, etc.)
- Which one would you find most valuable during WWI?