December 2015 News
Winter Weather Guidelines
Site Council Meeting
Volunteers Welcome and Needed
Morgan Elementary is now on Facebook!
Look for upcoming events and dates at Morgan. There is always a lot going on at Morgan, so be sure to check back often.
3rd and 4th grade Music Program
Parents: Antibiotics are not effective against viral infections like the common cold, flu, most sore throats, bronchitis, and many sinus and ear infections. Taking antibiotic can also have harmful side effects for you or your child. Read more about when antibiotics are and aren’t needed. http://www.cdc.gov/features/getsmart/
· Head Lice
Now that the colder weather is here, and we are getting out the jackets, coats, and hats, please remember to check your child’s head for head lice. Head lice like to crawl from fabrics to heads and back again. Please remind your student to not share clothing items or hair items. Head lice do not hop or fly, they do not live on animals and they carry no disease.
· From Kansas Dept of Health and Environment:
· The home is the primary point of control for head lice. Parents should assume that head lice are present in the schools as well as other community settings at all times, and children should be inspected weekly for lice by their parents. Inspection is most effective when done with a fine tooth comb and when the hair is wet at a regular time of shampooing. When a member of a household is found to be infested with lice, all members of the household should be examined, and all infested members should be treated at the same time with the regimen described above. Environmental efforts can be limited to the laundering of all bed linens and clothing worn by infested individuals on the day of finding.
· Screening: Routine, frequent screenings for lice in schools have not been shown to be effective in the control of head lice.
· Parents should continue weekly inspections of their children for lice throughout the school year.
· Reference the USD 308 website for more information “What to do when your child comes home with lice.” http://www.usd308.com/ParentResources/Pages/Health-Forms.aspx
PTO meetings are held on the 1st Tuesday of each month at 6:30 pm in the Morgan Media Center (use the northeast doors to access the Media Center). This month's meeting will be held on Dec 1st, with subsequent meetings being held on Jan. 5th, Feb. 2nd, March 1st, April 5th and May 3rd (mark your calendars )! Please join us - it's a fantastic way to connect with other parents, to learn the details of what goes on at Morgan Elementary and to discover what role you can play in making our school even more awesome! Hope to see you all there!
Papa John's Night
Let Papa John's make your dinner on Tuesday, December 1st. It's an easy fundraiser: 20% of sales (minus tax and delivery) will be donated back to Morgan PTO. Please make sure to tell Papa John's (when you are ordering) that it is for Morgan Elementary and the name of your child's classroom teacher. This year, instead of the winning class earning a pizza party, every child in the winning class will receive a coupon for a free small pizza! How awesome is that?!?!?! An order form for Papa John's will be sent home in your child's book bag on Tuesday. For planning purposes, Papa John's pizza night will always be held on the first Tuesday of each month. It works out great - dinner is covered for your family while you attend the PTO meetings!
If you aren't a pizza fan, you're in luck! This year we are going to have four Wendy's nights where 10% of ALL sales comes back to Morgan Elementary. All you have to do is take your family to eat at Wendy's between 5-8 pm on Monday, December 7th (future Wendy's nights are Feb 22nd and March 14th). It will be a festive environment and Wendy herself may even make an appearance! Don't have time to stop in? The drive-thru counts as well! Tell all of your family and friends to make it a Wendy's night on December 7th to support Morgan Elementary!
Our second skating party will be held on Friday, December 11th (EARLY RELEASE day) from 1:30 - 3:30 pm at Skateland. Cost is $4.50 and the class with the largest number of skaters will will a FREE pizza party!
Please "like" our Morgan PTO Facebook Page! Our facebook page is a wonderful source for current, up-to-date information and is the easiest and most economical way to address the largest amount of people in the shortest amount of time. We post general information, volunteer opportunities, pictures, lots of helpful reminders and so much more! Once you've "liked" the page, please make sure you "like" or comment on the posts every so often in order for the information to keep showing up on your general feed. If you have any questions about Morgan PTO or would like to get more involved, feel free to contact Bethany Krafels (President) at 620-474-2209 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Julie Hamedl (Vice President) at 620-314-8800 or email@example.com.
4th Grade news
Mrs. Zarnowski's class will be picking a 9 or 10 year old boy and girl from the Angel Tree to purchase a gift. So, we will be bringing change to make our purchases.
4th graders will be going to the Underground Salt Museum on Wednesday, December 2nd from 8:40-11:40. We will be back in time for lunch, so a sack lunch is NOT needed. On Tuesday, December 8th, Stephanie Carlson from Dillon Nature Center will be giving a presentation on Rocks and Minerals.
Also, the 3rd and 4th grade Music program is on Tuesday, December 15th @ 6:00PM at HHS auditorium.