First Colonial Band Notes
March 15, 2021
Letter from the Director
Greetings FC Band Family,
It has been wonderful having so many students back for face to face instruction over the past three weeks! Our students have done a remarkable job adjusting to being back in the building following all of the protocols to keep everyone safe & ensuring we will remain face to face. We have been making progress in person & at home working to put together a spring concert in just a few months (more details below). As conditions continue to improve, we have been able to offer many of our normal extracurricular & cocurricular ensembles to allow our students the opportunity to make music with the peers & experience what we have been missing over the past year. Make sure to check out all of the information below about our ensembles & events we have planned for our band program this spring.
Director of Bands
Tri-M Music Honor Society Advisor
Performing Arts Department Chair
PBIS Team Leader
First Colonial High School
- Advanced Concert Ensemble
- Intermediate Concert Ensemble
- Jazz Band
Each group rehearses every other week & follows all of the VBCPS COVID Guidelines. Rehearsal schedules can be found below.
Dress rehearsal & concert dates will be finalized & announced as soon as we received the VHSL Spring Sports schedule.
- A Cool Ocean Breeze (Jazz Band)
- Get With It (Jazz Band)
- Miles High (Jazz Band)
- Joy (Concert Band)
- Into the Clouds (Concert Band)
- Vanishing Point (Wind Ensemble)
- March from First Suite in Eb (Wind Ensemble)
- Seventeen Come Sunday (Intermediate Concert Ensemble)
- Folk Songs from Somerset (Intermediate Concert Ensemble)
- Havana Nights (Advanced Concert Ensemble)
- Vesuvius (Advanced Concert Ensemble)
- Higuita! (Percussion Ensemble)
Students have the option of performing face to face for this concert or submitting a full recording of their assigned music to receive credit for this unit. Each student will be required to select which option they are choosing in April.
Spectators for this event are allowed & will be required to RSVP with headcounts so we can follow all VBCPS guidelines for spacing & spectator size. More information will be available in April regarding this.
Dress rehearsal & concert dates will be finalized & announced once the spring VHSL schedule has been posted.
Marching Band Update - 3/15
While we are disappointed in not having a spring season as originally planned, we feel that attempting a season under the current circumstances would not be the positive experience we know marching band should be for our students.
Fundraiser Kickoff: Monday, April 12th
Fundraiser Deadline: Friday, April 30th
Fundraiser Delivery to FC: Tuesday, May 11th at 1pm (Can be picked up 2-6pm)
The funds raised will be used to help cover the costs of:
- End of Year Awards
- Senior Recognition
- Startup Funds for 2021-2022
- Curricular Ensembles (music, reeds, new equipment, guest clinicians, audition fees, etc.)
- Cocurricular Ensembles (music, copyright fees, instructional staff, competition fees)
Our goal as a band is to sell 500 units of cookie dough, which will give us approximately $3,000 in profit.
Spring Musical Pit Orchestra - Interest Meeting
Wednesday, April 14th, 2:30pm
This is an online event.
- Bass Clarinet
- Soprano Sax
- Alto Sax*
- Tenor Sax
- Bari Sax
- Percussion 1
- Percussion 2
- Bass (Electric & Upright)
- Guitar 1*
- Guitar 2*
- Keyboard 1*
- Keyboard 2*
*Indicates parts we are still looking for interested students.
An interest meeting will be held on Wednesday, April 14th at 2:30pm in the band room (and Zoom) for all interested students. Auditions will be due by April 19th at noon if needed. The full tentative rehearsal schedule can be found here.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Parent Help Needed!
We are currently looking for:
- General members (volunteers, chaperones, fundraiser helpers, etc)
- Volunteer/Chaperone Coordinator
- Uniform Coordinator
- Fundraising Coordinator
FCBB April Meeting
Tuesday, April 13th, 6pm
This is an online event.
If you are a parent/grandparent/guardian/caregiver, you are invited to be a member of the First Colonial Band Boosters. Meetings are held monthly where we discuss program direction, fundraisers, student events, & much more. All are encouraged to participate & help make our program the best that it can be.
To join FCBB in Band, click here.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
- Office hours after school (2:00-2:30pm daily)
- Tutoring sessions by appointment (after school)
- Group sectionals as needed (after school)
We take pride as a band in helping each other achieve success. There is no shame or embarrassment in asking for help---we view this self-advocacy as a sign of maturity, professionalism, & as an indicator that you are driven to succeed. If you are a student that needs assistance in band, please feel comfortable reaching out to another band member or Mr. Walker for help. We want to see you be successful!
COVID Mitigation Strategies
- Social distancing: Students will be spaced a minimum of 6 feet while playing a wind instrument or singing. Trombones will be spaced 9 feet. (Notes: We are spaced more than 6 feet due to our available space. We are also facing the same direction in lines, no arcs or circles. This is not a requirement, but a suggestion we are able to follow).
- Personal Protective Equipment: Students will be provided a Musician Mask by FC. The Musician Mask is a special mask that has a slit/flaps in the middle that allow students to play their instruments while still wearing masks. An adapted version of this is specific to flutes/piccolos.
- Instrument Equipment: We have equipment specific to individual instruments that will be distributed to in person students. Brass players will be required to use a puppy training pad (pee pads) to empty all spit/condensation from their instruments (FCHS provided).
- Rehearsal Time: Our rehearsals will be limited to 30 minutes (when playing or singing) in length. At the end of the 30 minutes, we will vacate the area & allow the air to recirculate. This period will last for 5 minutes for outdoor rehearsals & 40 minutes for indoor rehearsals.
- Rehearsal Location: While not required, it is recommended that rehearsals are held outside when possible. Weather permitting (no precipitation, at least 40 degrees), we will do the majority of our playing outdoors.
- Assigned Seating: All teachers at FCHS will be assigning seats for contact tracing purposes.
- Pods: For ensembles that meet after school, students will be grouped into pods of 10 or less. Students will remain in these groupings for the duration of the after school ensembles.
- Schoology & Schoology Messenger
- Remind (Concert Band: @fcbandcb21 , Wind Ensemble: @fcbandwe21)
For all cocurricular ensembles & other information relating to our program:
- BAND app (Marching Band, FCBB, Varsity Percussion, Chamber Ensembles)
- Website: www.fcband.org
- Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/firstcolonialband
- Instagram: @firstcolonialbands
For all communications, messages will be responded to as seen during school hours (6:45am-2:30pm). Office hours are available daily from 2:00-2:30pm. Mr. Walker's Planning Block is from 10:20-11:20am M-F.
- All assignments can be attempted multiple times prior to submission (Schoology, Flipgrid, SmartMusic, etc).
- Grading Dates: All work will be graded on Mondays, with progress reports being sent out weekly.
- Missing/Late Work: Assignments can be turned in past the posted due date, but a reduction of points will occur. The deadline for submissions will be posted prior to the end of each grading period. If you submit something late, it is your responsibility to notify Mr. Walker to make sure it is graded.