2018-19 SUMMER NEWSLETTER vol. 4
News and Information for the Guest Elementary Community
17 Elementary Class lists are released via Skyward/Family Access - YOU MUST HAVE YOUR BACK TO SCHOOL PACKET COMPLETED ONLINE USING FAMILY ACCESS
27 Kindergarten Open House 4:30 - 5:30pm
27 Popsicles with the Principal 5:30 - 6:15pm
28 First day of school for students - kindergarten staggered start 1/2 in the morning & 1/2 in the afternoon SEE INFORMATION BELOW
31 NO school for students or staff
3 Labor Day - No school for students or staff
4 Guest PTA Meeting 6:30 - 7:30pm
5 Curriculum Night 1st, 2nd, & 5th grades 6:30 - 7:30pm
7 Book fair preview grades K-2 from 9:00 - 11:00am
7 Spirit Wear sales begin
7 - 14 Fall Book Fair
7 Welcome Back Ice Cream Social 6:30 - 8:00pm
10 No school for students or staff - Jewish Holiday
12 Evening night for book fair 4:00 - 8:00pm
12 Curriculum Night 3rd & 4th grades 6:30 - 7:30pm
14 Walled Lake Central Homecoming parade/game 5:00 - 9:00pm
15 Guest Fall Clean up 10:00am - 12:00pm
18 1/2 day for students - Building Based Professional Development 1:10-4:10
19 No school for students or staff - Jewish Holiday
20 Middle School Curriculum Nights
21 Fall Picture Day
21 Walled Lake Western PINK OUT game
24 Community Ed classes begin
25 Taste of the Lakes 5:00 - 8:00 @ Edgewood Country Club
26 - 28 5th grade camp
BACK TO SCHOOL REGISTRATION PACKETS
Required Online Back to School Packets - Using a Parent ID and the Walled Lake Family Access system, you will need to complete all necessary forms for the online Back-to-School packet for the new school year. Please use the directions HERE to assist with the online Back-to-School packet.
The annual paperless Back-to-School Packet must be completed by parents online, using Family Access, prior to the start of school.
- Beginning August 1st, parents are to login to Family Access, using your alphanumeric parent account code, to complete the Back-to-School Packet.
- Need Help? Computer lab schedule:
- Parents may contact Family Access to acquire a new or lost parent account code at FamilyAccess@wlcsd.org | 248-956-2190.
KINDERGARTEN STAGGERED START ON AUGUST 28
Welcome to Guest Elementary! The beginning of Kindergarten is a very exciting time in your child’s life and we look forward to a great school year. Your child is in kind, capable hands with our kindergarten teachers and our entire staff.
To help our youngest learners transition into kindergarten, WLCSD will be utilizing a staggered start on the first day of school, Tuesday, August 28th. Please note the following information:
Students with Last Name starting with A-L attend Kindergarten in the Morning - 8:55am - 12:09pm
Students with Last Name starting with M-Z attend Kindergarten in the Afternoon - 1:00pm - 3:58pm
Please note the following information from our transportation department:
Bus transportation will be provided on the first day of school for those students who are eligible for bus transportation throughout the regular school year.
Bus routes will be posted on the district website and Skyward Family Access on August 15, 2018.
Bus drivers will be contacting families prior to August 23rd.
Transportation will be sending out postcards to families that indicate bus stops and times.
If your child is eligible for bus transportation, it is recommended that they start this routine on the first day of school. Parents are welcome to follow the bus to school to see your child off to their first day of school, but it is highly recommended that they ride the bus to and from school this first day if they will be riding daily during the school year.
Students who are not eligible for bus transportation will need to be dropped off and picked up at the front of the building on this first day, including students who may typically walk to/from school.
If you have questions regarding the staggered start please call the main office at
We look forward to beginning the new school year with all our Guest Wildcat Champs!
2018-2019 GUEST ELEMENTARY SUGGESTED SUPPLY LIST
MEET CHAMP - Guest Elementary Therapy Dog - For our new families, more information will be shared soon! Look for the Press releases!
SUMMER RESOURCES TO PREVENT THE "SUMMER SLIDE"
Getting ready for the summer vacation is exciting, but let's not forget to keep learning. Many children who don't engage in reading and math will fall behind and put them at a disadvantage. Please take advantage of the resources we have shared. As more become available, we will contact all families. Facts regarding Summer Slide
- Visit our Little Lending Library
- IREADY LESSONS - We are asking that ALL STUDENTS complete one hour of math & one hour of reading per week. A calendar will be sent home for families to help keep track of lessons and time. Mrs. Fiebke-Lang will be monitoring usage over the summer.
IREADY CALENDAR AND LETTERS ARE LISTED BELOW
- Walled Lake City Library Summer Reading Program. This friendly competition was created to encourage our students to be involved in the Summer Reading Activities in our community. Below are the high points:
-students must come to the library to sign up and receive a reading packet -when students sign up to read, their name is placed on a STAR and placed on the “WALK OF FAME” Red Carpet Official Score Board at the City Library
-students completing their goals will receive chances for the Grand Prize and an invitation to the Wrap-Up Party, Monday, August 20th.
-The 1st & 2nd Place school to the “Sign-Up to Read” Contest will be announced and awards presented in September.
- Barnes and Noble Summer Reading List
- Be a Rep for the Day contest by Kathy Crawford to win a chance to be a State Representative for a day in the fall.
- Select a book that you can read as a family and have a book club chat about it throughout the summer.
- The International Literacy Association (ILA) and the Children’s Book Council (CBC) recently shared a list of newly published children’s and young adult book voted to be favorites by children from across the United States ranging from Kindergarten to Sixth grade. Check out the list and start your summer reading early!
- MATH MIND Research Institute recently shared a blog post for 15 math activities for family summer fun
- MATH Ideas posted by the National Association of Elementary School Principals (NAESP)
- PRODIGY MATH is a fun online program that many of our students have joined to practice their skills in a gaming atmosphere. It can be played offline as well for student safety.
- WRITING - Consider having your child keep a journal of any vacations or trips that your family takes this summer.
- Write a book together about your family summer adventures and turn it into a play.
- When you head out to the store, make a list together of the things that you need to purchase and have your child write it out.
- Access the district student tab and Gantz’s Goodies for age appropriate online games for all academic areas, coding, and more!
- EPIC BOOKS $3.00 for 3 months - over 25,000 titles
LETTERS EXPLAINING IREADY PROCESS FOR THE SUMMER
SUMMER CALENDAR FOR IREADY MATH & READING
GET YOUR SMILE READY
- Access to the ordering portal requires the unique Picture Day ID for Guest Elementary: LM728064Y0. Online ordering access is available now. Parents can set up an account allowing access to order and reorder portraits.
Retake day is planned for November 1st
PTA REFLECTIONS CONTEST 2018-2019
Please be sure to take some time to get creative this summer! If you have any questions, please reach out to Guest Elementary PTA Reflections Chair:
Now that summer vacation is about to start, it’s a great time to start looking for inspiration for your projects! Start thinking about the people in your world who are heroes. Are they someone whose job is to help people? Are they someone who volunteers in the community? Are they kids helping grown-ups? Or grown-ups helping kids? Are they people helping animals? Or animals helping people?
We can’t wait to see how those heroes inspire you through the arts! Review the current standing rules at the Michigan PTA Reflections website
FREE SUMMER MEAL PROGRAM begins June 18th
TENTATIVE DATE CLASSROOM PLACEMENT LISTS AVAILABLE ONLINE VIA FAMILY ACCESS
Our top priority is to develop appropriate classroom groupings and assignments that will provide all of our children with the best opportunity for academic and social success this upcoming school year. Our staff worked extremely hard in determining the most appropriate classroom placements for all students individually and collectively.
HOME - SCHOOL CONNECTION
GUEST ELEMENTARY SCHOOL CONTACT INFORMATION
Principal Secretary email@example.com
Heather Pengelly firstname.lastname@example.org
Safe-line for Absences: 248-956-3390
Sharon Becker email@example.com
Prime Time Supervisor
Direct Link to PTA page click HERE
Principal Contact Information
Mary Helen Guest Elementary, Principal
Walled Lake Consolidated School District
Main Office: 248.956.3300
Cell or text: 248.766.5771