November 1, 2022
Dear Simpson Parents,
Happy November! It was wonderful to see many of you last month during Early Release Parent-Teacher Conferences. This is always such a valuable time for you to talk with the teacher to see how your child is progressing both academically and socially. I am confident you found this time beneficial. Early Release conferences are held twice a year. The next early release days will be held on March 1-2, 2023. We will again be scheduling conferences online. Also, the Parent Portal is a great way for you to stay informed about your child’s academic progress 24 hours a day/7 days a week. You can monitor student assignments and assessments if you have a child in grades 1st – 5th. Finally, many thanks to our amazing Simpson Elementary PTA Executive Board and business partners, Mr. Ryan Dierkes from Ducks Waterproofing (email@example.com) and Jenn and Geoffrey Frost from Frost Salon (www.frost.salon) for sponsoring our teacher conference lunches, snacks, monthly Special Needs Breakfast, and dessert bars. Many thanks again for making our Simpson Staff feel so special and appreciated. Thank you to the entire Peachtree Corners Community for making us SHINE SO BRIGHT! Have a wonderful month and a happy Thanksgiving!
Proud to be your principal,
Dr. Taffeta Connery
November Calendar Dates
November 1st-United Way Fundraiser-Bring $1.00 and wear a hat
November 8th-Digital Learning Day
November 9th: Picture Retake Day
November 10th-Holiday Meal-1st, 3rd and 5th grades
November 11th-Holiday Meal-KK, 2nd and 4th
November 11th: Fall Festival-5:00-8:00 pm
November 15th: All Pro Dads
November 17th: Mother/Son Game Night-6:00-8:00 pm
November 18th: United Way Fundraiser-Bring $1.00 to wear PJ's or $2.00 to wear PJ's and to bring a stuffed animal
November 21st-25th-Thanksgiving Holidays
November 18th: School Council
Holiday Cafeteria Meal
On November 10th & 11th , our fabulous cafeteria staff will be hosting a special Holiday Meal during lunch times for staff, students, and families.
Parents are invited to join their child at their lunch time on their designated day. Please see your grade level day below. On your day off, classes should plan to eat in their classrooms to provide space for visitors. The cafeteria will have grab and go lunches for those buying lunch to help with transitioning the alternate days. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact your grade level teacher.
Thursday, November 10
Grade 1-cafeteria with parent visitors
Grade 3-cafeteria with parent visitors
Grade 5-cafeteria with parent visitors
Grades- K/2/4- sack lunch in classrooms
Friday, November 11
Kindergarten-cafeteria with parent visitors
Grade 2-cafeteria with parent visitors
Grade 4-cafeteria with parent visitors
Grades- 1/3/5- sack lunch in classrooms
Simple Machine Solution
A Clean Neighborhood Park
Boom, Boom, Flash!
Plant and Animal SuperPowers!
Student Choice: Robotic Solutions
Student Choice: Open
For a full list of the Driving Questions and further information, please visit our Simpson Science Fair Google Classroom (Class Code: hdmmcek). Trophies will be awarded to the top three winners of each category. The winners then will move onto regionals. Students may choose to work alone or in groups (up to 3 students). For more information, please reach out to Ms. Boalch, Ms. Arnold, or Ms. Johnson.
Administrative & Counseling Team
Principal- Dr. Taffeta Connery
Assistant Principal- Ms. Brandy Bosak, Grades 1, 3, & 5
Assistant Principal- Ms. Jeanette Johnson, Grades K, 2, 4
Assistant Principal- Ms. Stephanie Wells, Special Needs & Connections
Counselors- Ms. Sheri Terry & Ms. Roshan Finch
Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 7:30 AM - 4:15 PM
All visitors must check in at the welcome desk and please be prepared to provide some form of identification upon request.
Students should arrive between 8:20 AM- 8:50 AM
Morning announcements and tardy bell rings at 8:50 AM
Dismissal bell rings at 3:20 PM
- If you are checking out your child early from school, please do so on or before 3:00 PM. This leaves our bus lanes open for bus arrivals. Also, please remember that picture ID is required for all student check-outs. Thank you!
Beginning this school year in 2022, we will engage in Positive Behavior Intervention and Support (PBIS) at Simpson Elementary to have a positive behavioral expectation schoolwide. PBIS is an approach schools use to promote school safety and good behavior. With PBIS, schools teach kids about behavior expectations, strategies, and with a primary focus on having a positive prevention, not consequences.
What is PBIS at our school?
A unified set of school wide expectations for behavior in our school. We are Simpson Superstars, so to ensure that students can easily comprehend our expectations, we have established a 5-star approach for appropriate behaviors posted throughout the school. Your child has been learning these expectations since the first few days of school.
What are the 5-Star Expectations at Simpson Elementary?
- Be Respectful
- Be Responsible
- Be Ready to Learn
- Be Safe
- Be Kind
As part of our PBIS process, teachers and other staff members use evidence-based practices to increase student learning and decrease classroom disruptions. To keep students on the rules in a positive manner, we do the following when teaching academics and behavior:
- Constantly teach and refer to our school-wide expectations.
- Provide students with more praise than correction.
- Talk to students with respect using positive voice tone.
- Actively engage everyone in the class during instruction.
- Use pre-correcting, prompting, and redirecting as we teach.
- Look for the positive first and provide positive, immediate, frequent, and explicit feedback.
Please look forward to additional details as we unveil our STARBUCK incentives for recognition of positive student behavior beginning the week of August 29th.
The PBIS School store buying days are here! Please see below for grade level buying days which will occur during morning arrival: 8:20-8:55 AM.
PBIS Grade Level Incentive Days:
Monday - 4th Grade PBIS Incentive Day
Tuesday - 3rd & 5th Grade PBIS Incentive Day
Wednesday - 2nd Grade PBIS Incentive Day
Thursday - 1st Grade PBIS Incentive Day
Friday- PreK & Kindergarten PBIS Incentive Day
School Lunch & Parental Visitation
GCPS Students will have access to a meal (breakfast and lunch) throughout the year for each child. However, due to the expiration of USDA Covid-19 waivers, students will now be charged for meals based on their individual eligibility for 2022-2023 School Year.
Therefore, student meals will return to full price at this time or if desire, please complete a free/reduced lunch application on-line via our school website.
Meal prices for elementary students below:
Student breakfast -$1.50
Student lunch -$2.25
Adult Breakfast -$2.50
Adult Lunch -$3.75
*The adult bar is available to both adult guests and staff throughout the school year.
Parental lunch visitation will begin after Labor Day. We will utilize this time to make sure our PBIS cafeteria expectations are in place with student rituals and routines.
A gentle reminder that outside vendor food (per district policy) is not allowed for students. Please reinforce providing lunch from home or utilizing the school meal plan.
Health & Wellness Updates
GCPS schools have established reasonable and precautionary practices within the school to minimize the risk of infection and/or spread of COVID-19 and Monkeypox.
Guidance is subject to change based on updated recommendations from CDC/Department of Public Health and will be communicated to local school HRT members.
- Provide opportunities for regular handwashing.
- Implement the custodial schedule/processes to clean high-touch areas during the school day.
- Clearly communicate and follow COVID-19/Monkeypox criteria for return to work/school in consultation with county nurses.
- As of August 18th, masks are strongly recommended, but optional for staff in all GCPS facilities. In addition, at this time mask coverings are OPTIONAL for students, and visitors.
Action Items for School Plan
- Ensure each common area and classroom will have hand sanitizer available for use.
- Continue to provide ample time for restroom and handwashing opportunities.
- A custodial schedule will be utilized to ensure cleaning of high-touch areas is occurring throughout the school day.
*Protocols for reporting COVID-19/Monkeypox contact exposure will be followed and reported immediately to administrators/district health officials. Please see additional information regarding Monkeypox procedures and CDC Guidelines from GCPS.
* In addition, if you or anyone in your home is sick and has tested positive for COVID-19/Monkeypox, please contact our school nurse, Amy Norris immediately.
Follow a Recipe for Success: Join the Café Gwinnett Team!
Need Afterschool Care?
Georgia Platinum Award 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2016 and 2019!
2010 Georgia School of Excellence!
2012 and 2018 National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence!
SIMPSON FAMILY FALL FESTIVAL COMING SOON!
FREE to attend for Simpson families only. Please be sure to bring cash for food and drinks.
Reflections Theme Search
Please review the past themes listed on the form linked below. Repeat themes will not be considered.
- State Deadline for 2024-2025 Theme SEARCH Entries: November 11, 2022
- Past Themes: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vv4Rom364Sr0Laawqci_5IsIqJ7Yik5A/view?usp=sharing
- Click the following link to enter: https://www.georgiapta.org/theme-search
Square 1 Art Coming Soon!
- Orders are due Monday, November 28, so this will give your relatives time to look at your children's artwork and place orders over Thanksgiving break.
- You will be able to order online.
- This year orders will be shipped directly to your home 2-3 weeks after the order is placed.
YEARBOOKS ARE ON SALE NOW!
Yearbooks are on sale now! Be sure to order your yearbook now to guarantee your copy.
- COST: $40
- LINK TO ORDER: Simpson Elementary School - Class Rings, Yearbooks and Graduation | Balfour
- DEADLINE: March 1, 2022
5th Grade Baby Ads: Deadline December 1
- Boy Scouts Pack 575 Garrison F., Beau S., Maddox R., and Maddox C. for cleaning up and making Simpson beautiful outside in the front of the school. You guys rock!
- Sara Wiggins and Jessica Lee for coordinating an amazing 5th Grade Immigration Day! Both students and parents LOVED it! And a special THANK YOU to our very own Lady Liberty, Ms. Sutton, and Uncle Sam, Dr. Connery!
- Melissa Thorson for working tirelessly to make the FIRST Grandparents Breakfast a GREAT success! We cannot wait until the next one.
- Ms. Chanece Turner, Sara Shingler, Katie McCracken, and ALL the book fair volunteers for making this year's Book Fair the best EVER!
- Jenny Rockett for making sure our teachers had plenty of snacks during early release days!
- Mallory Thornton for another yummy Spirit Night at Moe's BBQ!
- Michelle Reuter and Samantha Morgan for the spooky sweet treats for Staff Appreciation...Halloween style!
- And to our wonderful business partners...Bardi Heating and Cooling for the donuts and coffee for the Grandparents Breakfast and to Duck's Waterproofing and Frost Salon for feeding our fabulous staff during one of the early release days! We appreciate everything you do to support our school and community!