CMC Weekly Newsletter
April 6, 2016
Welcome to the CMC Newsletter! Reminder, you can still register for the Graduate BBQ and Golden Torch Awards until tomorrow 4/7 at 4 PM. See Below for details!
Spotlight of the Week: Matthew Forest
This week's spotlight is second-year MBA student Matthew Forest who has spent six years on the Malibu campus both as a Pepperdine undergraduate and a Graziadio graduate student. Matthew came back to Pepperdine in the fall of 2014 to further hone his networking and leadership skills. He has done an outstanding job serving as President of the Graziadio Student Ambassadors this past year.
Prior to business school, Matthew worked in the financial services industry for a fortune 100 company both as a sales representative and a sales manager. After his first year in the MBA program, Matthew spent the summer interning for his previous employer and also helping his family business grow and retain new talent. His success in talent development helped Matthew decide to pursue a leadership and organizational change concentration, which started in the fall of 2015. The classes he took sparked his interest in human capital retention and human resource management further so he actively searched for job opportunities at companies looking to expand their human capital base.
Matthew succeeded in landing a position in the medical staffing industry as the director of human resources and talent acquisition at Pacific Companies in Aliso Viejo, CA. and he will begin on May 2nd. He attributes his great success to the professors he has had at the Graziadio School including Jaclyn Margolis, Kevin Groves, Mark Tribbitt and Darren Good, all of whom sparked a deep interest in him about the importance of HR in any sized organization. In the future, Matthew plans to pursue his doctorate in organizational leadership here at Pepperdine University. His dedication to Pepperdine for his education and to lifelong learning is evident.
Matthew’s advice to classmates is to continue networking as often as possible. "Even if you feel like you have a decent sized network already, there can never be enough members of your circle. Invite people out to coffee who you meet – that 3 dollar Starbucks coffee might come back and pay you back a million fold. Lastly, go to the CMC regularly. There are so many tools at your disposal. Take Advantage of them!"
Matthew, we wish you all the best, congratulations!
Four Sure Fire Ways to Shine When You Start A New Job
Here are some ways to make an immediate impact when you start your new job and begin your path to success.
Click here for the full article:
Career Portal Job Postings & Events
- Professional Branding & Interview Strategy Workshop: Saturday, April 9th, 10:00 AM- 12:00 PM at the WLA Campus
- Graduate BBQ and Golden Torch Awards - Come Celebrate our 2016 Grads - All Students Welcome: 12:00 pm GULL's WAY patio. REGISTER with Juen Kim - Jueun.Kim@pepperdine.edu by April 7th at 4pm
- MSOD Alumni Panel: OD in Healthcare: April 19 - 6:00 - 8:00 PM (WLA Campus)*
- CFA Society LA Career Development Job Fair & Expo: April 20th - 2:30 - 7:30 PM at The LA Hotel, Downtown LA register here: https://www.cfala.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=4852
- Negotiator Ease: Your Guide to Navigate Successful Negotiations in Your Career & Beyond: April 26 - 6:00 - 8:00 PM (WLA Campus)*
* Go To B-school Website Events Section to Register
JOBS & INTERNSHIPS:
- Healthcare Analytics: WEST CORPORATION
- Shield Emerging Leaders LDP: BLUE SHIELD OF CA.
- Director, Asset Management: THE NATURE CONSERVANCY
- Royalty Analyst: WARNER MUSIC GROUP
- Product Manager Intern: THE CAPITAL GROUP
- Project Manager: GALLUP
Stop by the CMC if you have questions about these postings or upcoming events.