The Integumentary System
Jordan Kincaid, Period 5
The Components (Organs and Tissues)
The Integumentary System and its Functions
1) It helps to protect inner organs. The epidermis covers the whole body, making it significantly more difficult to access it.
2) It protects the body from dehydration. The sweat glands often sweat excessively during workouts or just from sunlight so you have to drink lots of water.
3) It helps protect the body from abrupt temperature changes by either sweating or shivering. Sweating helps to decrease temperature, and shivering forces some of your hairs to shiver, increasing warmth.
4) It protects the dermis from sunburns. Melanin in our skin helps to protect our dermis.
5) It helps to store water, fat, and vitamin D.