CHS Counseling Newsletter
Connect with your Counselors (virtually)
- Mr. Schuyler https://schuylerchs.youcanbook.me
- Mrs. Huntsinger https://dhuntsinger.youcanbook.me
- Mrs. Jones https://meljones.youcanbook.me
- Ms. McMullin https://ms-mcmullin.youcanbook.me
- Ms. Allen https://collegeadvisingchs.youcanbook.me
- Mrs. Hummer https://chscareercoach.youcanbook.me
We hope that you are all doing well and getting settled into our virtual school year! If we can be of any assistance to you please do not hesitate to reach out to one of us.
Senior Entrance Survey
The next SAT at CHS will be December 5th, 2020.
I'm ready to apply to college, but what is the common application? What about the coalition application?
The Common Application has partnerships with over 900 schools, making the college application process a little bit easier. Note: Application fees (and waivers) still apply for each school that a student is applying to on the Common App. Create an account and start applying at www.commonapp.org.
The Coalition Application has only partnered with 140 schools, but these schools have great financial aid/tuition rates. This application also allows students to explain family commitments that may explain lack of extracurricular activities or extenuating circumstances. Note: Application fees (and waivers) still apply for each school that a student is applying to on the Coalition App as well. Create an account and start applying at www.coalitionforcollegeaccess.org.
Here are just a few of the colleges and universities in Virginia that have their applications available to fill out on the Common Application and Coalition Application websites. If a school that you are interested in applying to is not on this list, check the Common/Coalition App websites and do a quick search to see if they are partnership schools. If a college or university is not on either site then you should apply online at the school's website.
Virtual College Visits
VACRAO Virtual College Exploration
VACRAO (Virginia Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Counselors) will be hosting an 8 week Virtual College Exploration Program running from September 14 until November 5. This FREE virtual event will offer all Virginia students the opportunity to learn more about the college search process through panel presentations and virtual college fairs. More information about specific presentations and registration details can be found at https://www.strivescan.com/virginia/.
National Scholarship: Horatio Alger Scholarship.
Scholarship information can be found here at this link:
Scholarships ranging from $10,000 to $50,000.
- Critical financial need ($55,000 or less adjusted gross income per family)
- Integrity and perseverance in overcoming adversity
- Minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0
- Participation in community service
- United States citizenship
Application Deadline 10/25/2020
Army ROTC provides full tuition and fees (or $10K for room and board) scholarships to over 2000 high school students each year. In addition to the tuition and fees, the scholarship pays $1200 annually for books and a stipend of $420 per month (for up to 10 months a year.)
Army ROTC Information can be found at this link: Army ROTC Information
Help in preparing for testing for SAT/ACTs can be found at this link provided by the Army ROTC Program: March 2 Success Program
A note from CHS Career Coach
Welcome Back! Now is the time to get ready for graduation by working with the Career Coach. My goal this coming school year is to empower you to make informed decisions about your career/educational plans and to prepare you for success in postsecondary education/training. As your Career Coach, I want to partner with you in a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires you to maximize your personal and professional potential.
Here are some of the items we can work on:
- Start planning earlier and set future goals
- Learn about community or technical colleges
- Learn about financial aid, grants, and scholarships
- Apply to a community college/trade school and choose a major
- Understand career pathways and make informed decisions about careers and jobs
- Gain confidence about your future
- Drastically improve your interviewing skills to attain your ideal internships and jobs
- Craft professional, well-written resumes to earn the attention of potential employer
Sign up for Remind 101: text @CHSGERMANNA21 to 81010.