The Viking Insider
Your Weekly Howell Activities E-Magazine
Fall Sports Begin July 31st
The fall sports season will kick off July 31st as fall programs begin preparation for the 2017 season. You can find the times and locations of the first week of tryouts for all fall sports on www.fhvikings.com as well as below. Please note that times and locations are subject to change. A reminder to all student-participants that you must have the entire eligibility packet complete and turned in prior to practice on July 31st. The eligibility packet can be found on the www.fhvikings.com website.
Football - (Stadium)
8/1 - 5-9pm
8/2 - 5-9pm
8/3 - 5-9pm
8/4 - 5-9pm
Softball (Softball Fields)
8/1 - D124 Classroom/Softball Field 2:30-4:30pm
8/2 - 2:45-5:30pm
8/3 - 2:45-5:30pm
8/4 - 2:45-5:30pm
8/5 - 8:30-11:30am
Boys Soccer (Stadium)
7/31 - 2:30-5:45
8/1 - 2:30-5:45
8/2 - 2:30-5:45
8/3 - 2:30-5:45
8/4 - 2:30-5:45
8/5 - 8am
7/31- 9:15am (Pheasant Run)
8/1 - TBD
8/2 - TBD
8/3 - TBD
8/4 - TBD
8/5 - TBD
Girls Volleyball (Main Gym & Aux Gym)
8/1 - 2:30-5:00pm
8/2 - 2:30-5:00pm
8/3 - 2:30-5:00pm
8/4- 1:30-4:00m (Varsity) 2:30-5:00pm (9th & JV)
Cross Country (Stadium)
7/31 - 7-9am
8/1 - 7-9am
8/2 - 2:30-4:30pm
8/3 - 2:30-4:30pm
8/4 - 2:30-4:30pm
8/5 - 7-8:30am
Boys Swim (Rec Plex)
7/31 - 5:30-7:30pm
8/1 - 5:30-7:30pm
8/2 - 5:30-7:30pm
8/3 - 5:30-7:30pm
8/4 - 5:30-7:30pm
7/31 - 4:00-6:00pm
8/1 - 4:00-6:00pm
8/2 - 4:00-6:00pm
8/3 - 4:00-6:00pm
8/4 - 4:00-6:00pm
8/14 - Required Parent Informational Meeting - 7pm
8/15 - Tryout Clinic - 6:00-8:00pm
8/16 - Tryout Clinic - 6:00-8:00pm
8/17 - Final Evaluation - 5:30 to 8pm
Bahan Attends Boys State
Howell Staff Works To Ensure Student-Participant Safety During Heat
At Howell the safety of our students is our number one priority. In order to ensure the safety of Howell student-participants during this warm time of year all FHHS fall coaches will be following both a “16 Day Acclimatization Period” as well as “Heat Index Procedures” for all students involved in activities during the fall. Information regarding the 16 Day Acclimatization Period and the Heat Index Procedures can be found below. Please have conversations with your student-participant regarding this information as well as proper hydration so that they are prepared for July 31st. If you have any further questions please feel free to contact Francis Howell Activities Director Sean Erwin at email@example.com
Heat Index Procedures
1.)When the heat index reaches 95-104 all Howell coaches who are conducting practice outside will alter their practices. The altering of practice will include more water breaks, shortening of drills, larger breaks between drills, and allowing athletes to get a drink at any time. It may also include the shortening of practice. (These measures outlined meet all guidelines set forth by MSHSAA)
2.)When the heat index reaches 105 or above practices will not take place outdoors until the heat index drops below the 105 mark. Practices may be moved indoor in the event that the heat index is above 105. (This is in compliance with MSHSAA guidelines)
3.)Howell Student-participants are encouraged to hydrate prior to coming to practice and bring water with them. Water will be available for student-athletes at all practices.
16‐DAY ACCLIMATIZATION PERIOD
1. Days 1 through 5 of the acclimatization period consist of the first 5 days of formal practice. During this time, athletes are not allowed to participate in more than 1 practice per day.
2. If a practice is interrupted by inclement weather or heat restrictions, the practice may recommence once conditions are deemed safe. Total practice time should not exceed 3 hours in any 1 day.
3. A 1-hour maximum walk-through is permitted during days 1–5 of the acclimatization period. A 1-hour recovery period is required between the practice and walk-through (or vice versa).
4. During days 1–2 of the acclimatization period, in sports requiring helmets or shoulder pads, a helmet is the only protective equipment permitted (goalies, as in the case of field hockey and related sports, may not wear full protective gear or perform activities that would require protective equipment).
A. Football only: On days 3–5, contact with blocking sleds and tackling dummies may be initiated.
B. Full-contact sports: 100% live contact drills may begin no earlier than day 6.
Beginning on day 6, all protective equipment may be worn and full contact may begin.
1. Beginning no earlier than day 6 and continuing through day 14, double-practice days must be followed by a single-practice day. On single-practice days, 1 walk-through is permitted, separated from the practice by at least 1 hour of continuous rest. When a double practice day is followed by a rest day, another double practice day is permitted after the rest day.
2. On a double-practice day neither practice may exceed 3 hours in duration nor may student-athletes participate in more than 5 total hours of practice. Warm-up, stretching, cool-down, walk-through, conditioning, and weight-room activities must be included as part of the total practice time. The 2 practices must be separated by at least 3 continuous hours in a cool environment.
3. Because the risk of exertional heat illnesses during the preseason heat-acclimatization period is high, it is recommended that an athletic trainer be on site before, during, and after all practices, but it is not required.
Howell To Host "Dig Pink" Volleyball Event
This fall the Howell Girls Volleyball program will host the All Volleyball Dig Pink Challenge. The Dig Pink Challenge works to support the Sideout Foundation. The Sideout Foundation teams with the volleyball community to raise money for breast cancer research. Last year the Dig Pink Challenge raised over $35,000.
This year's matches will take place on September 9th at Howell. We hope all Viking fans will come out and support this great cause and see some of the top volleyball programs in the St. Louis area face off. You can find the schedule of games below. Stay tuned to the Viking Insider and @FHVikings for more information on this great event.
All Volleyball Dig Pink Challenge - September 9, 2017
2:00 pm - Cor Jesu vs. TBD
3:30 pm - Lafayette vs. Parkway West
5:00 pm - Howell vs. Troy
Natalie Jackson Commits to SEMO
Parent Ads Available In Fall Sports Program
New Howell T-Shirts For Sale In Activities Office
Upcoming Howell Events & Activities
Click the link above to view the calendar of events for this week.
View flyers that pertain to FHHS and our community bly clicking the link above.