Connecticut Colony Project
Brief History of Connecticut
- Connecticut colony was founded in the year 1630
- The colony was founded by, Thomas Hooker
- Connecticut was the 5th colony to be founded, out of 13 others
- The Connecticut colony was founded primarily to expand upon the Massachusetts colony
- Their main industry was agriculture, much like many other colonies
- The colony got its name from the Native American river, "Quonehtacut"
- The Connecticut colony was distinguished by the fact that it developed one of the first constitutions in the New World
- Connecticut was also remembered for its "Mystic Indian Massacre", where 90 colonist overcame and murdered 600 Indians
- Religion had a huge influence on the people of Connecticut, mostly through government. One could not vote or be elected unless they were spiritually fit
Important People of Connecticut
.Goodrich, Charles, ed. "Colony of Connecticut."celebrateboston.com. CelebrateBoston.cpm, n.d. Web. 10 Sep 2013.