Davis/Martin Weekly Update
October 12 - October 16
Parent-teacher conferences will be held Thursday October 22nd from 2 p.m. - 8 p.m. Please return your forms as soon as possible, so that conference times can be scheduled.
Scholastic book orders for October will be due this Friday, October 16th.
Mrs. Davis & Mrs. Martin
In LITERACY & SOCIAL STUDIES:
- Writing: Students will publish their personal narratives.
- Reading: Students will work on identifying and describing character traits of a variety of characters they read about. They will also compare and contrast characters and their traits.
- Daily Language Week 8
- Weekly Vocabulary: gratify, impartial, knoll, tolerate
- Read Aloud: Maniac Magee written by Jerry Spinelli
- Social Studies: Chapter 4: The Age of Exploration - Building the First Colonies: The Spanish Colonies, the Virginia Colony, The Plymouth Colony, the French and the Dutch
In MATH & SCIENCE:
- We are studying Rocks and Minerals Unit; this week's focus will be minerals.
- In math, we are working on decimals (place value, adding, subtracting, rounding, and estimating).
- We will continue to work on our individualized math program on Khan Academy. Students are allowed to work on it at home.
- The students are improving their multiplication fluency by working on Math Facts Pro. Practicing Math Facts Pro is now part of the students' homework,multiplication logs are due on Monday.
- Weekly Reading Log: 20 minutes of reading, 5 nights per week, DUE MONDAYS (this is averaged into your child's reading grade)
- Weekly Vocabulary Page: This will go home every Tuesday, and needs to be completed and returned every Wednesday
- Study for language/vocabulary quiz on Friday
- Weekly Multiplication Log: Math Facts Pro two times each night, 5 nights per week. These logs are also DUE MONDAY (this is averaged into your child's math grade)
- Students will most always have math homework every night through the week, Fridays and weekends off.