Engineering Academy Newsletter
Engineering Academy November 15, 2021
Engineering Academy Booster Club Board Meeting @ MOD PIZZA
Tuesday, Nov. 16th, 6:30pm
18931 University Boulevard
Sugar Land, TX
REMINDER: INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL DURING THE HOLIDAY BREAK
Dear Parents and Guardians,
As we approach the Thanksgiving and Winter Breaks, Fort Bend ISD would like to reiterate the District’s commitment to the health and wellbeing of our students and staff.
FBISD will continue to follow the international travel and quarantine guidelines detailed in the District's health and safety protocols.
International Travel Requirements/Guidelines
An unvaccinated individual that has traveled internationally will quarantine and can return to work or school after meeting the following requirements:
- After day 10 without testing - Quarantine for 10 days from the day they return into the United States. The person must be symptom free for the entire 10 days to return to school. If the person starts to have COVID symptoms or tests positive for COVID-19, then they must meet the three criteria for a positive COVID case to return to campus listed above.
- After day 7 with a negative COVID-19 test result performed on day 3 or after when returning into the United States
A fully vaccinated individual that has traveled internationally can return to work or school if they meet the following requirements:
- Proof of vaccination or testing positive in the last 90 days must be provided to local health authority.
- Per CDC guidance, and as of October 25, 2021: Before arriving in the United States, all air passengers, including U.S. citizens and fully vaccinated people, are required to have a negative COVID-19 test result no more than 3 days before travel or provide documentation of recovery from COVID-19 in the past 3 months before they board a flight to the United States.
- After international travel:
- Get tested with a viral test 3-5 days after travel.
- Self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms; isolate and get tested if you develop symptoms.
- People are considered “fully vaccinated”:
- 2 weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine
- 2 weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines
Post Break/Travel Considerations
It is important to monitor your health and your student's health, especially after returning from large gatherings and domestic and international travel. As a reminder, all students and staff must stay home when ill and self-report positive COVID-19 cases using the online Wellness Screener.
Texas A&M University's Society of Women Engineers (Enrichment Opportunity)
Our second and final Next event for the semester, hosted by Texas A&M University's Society of Women Engineers, will be over zoom on Thursday, December 2, from 6:30-7:30 pm. The topic this time around is "A Week in the Life of an Aggie Engineer," where we will take a personal and candid look at the typical day-to-day activities of an engineering student at Texas A&M. We feel this topic would be very interesting to high school students entering college, especially as STEM majors, who do not have a good idea on what to expect when entering a completely different environment. This event is open to ALL high school students.
ENGINEERING ACADEMY BOOSTER CLUB POINSETTIA FUNDRAISER
Due to popular demand, the Engineering Academy Booster Club is back again selling your favorite Poinsettias ...
The class competition from Phase I of the Poinsettia continues into ... Phase II.
Phase II of the competition is now open to all the students in Elkins High School Engineering Academy.
The winning grade that sells the maximum plants will get a surprise treat from the Engineering Academy Booster Club!!! Let the game continue ...on November 1, 2021
Please join us in our Poinsettias Fundraiser for the Elkins Engineering Booster club. The funds for the booster club is for the academy children to create fun and educational experiences for them as well as scholarships for our seniors.
Please feel free to sell to friends, extended family members and others. The total of each colored plants should be entered onto the Engineering Booster club website.
There grade with the highest plant sale gets to win a prize in addition to the prizes listed for the individual sales.
See order form below.
The Elkins Engineering Academy Booster Club is presenting a volunteering opportunity for the 50th Anniversary Chevron Houston Marathon. The registration is for students plus family and friends. Do remember to follow the instructions below and use the ELKINS code when registering. You must be present on the day of the event for us to get credit. We need a minimum of 70 volunteers who actually participate on that day to qualify for the grant.
We need at least 40 registration by Nov 19th or we may lose our spot. Please register ASAP to help raise funds for the booster club and earn YES volunteer hours.
1. Under Volunteer group dropdown select "ELKINS HS Engineering Acadeemy Booster Club".
2. You must be 15 years to help with the HEB Food Court area ( our main area requested) however, you may still volunteer for other positions available with the Marathon Committee.
3. Verify that under Shift Applications "ELKINS" is entered in the box. See image below.
Support the Engineering Academy Booster Club When Shopping at Kroger
Once logged into Kroger account, search for ELKINS HIGH SCHOOL ENGINEERING ACADEMY BOOSTER CLUB either by name or use RH927 and then click Enroll.
·New users will need to create an account that requires some basic information like a valid email address and a rewards card.
Texas Internship Challenge:
Texas Internship Challenge: https://www.txinternshipchallenge.com/vosnet/Default.aspx
The Texas Internship Challenge encourages students to participate in the thousands of internships around the state to gain the marketable skills employers are looking for. Internships help you explore career opportunities, network with employers, and earn a salary or school credit. Start your search by entering your keyword in the search bar above. Click here to register and enter your résumé.
YWE 2022 Fall Academic Scholarship Application Is OPEN! Don't wait! Apply today!
Women Energy Network (WEN) will award $10,000 in scholarships to ten (10) high school senior girls from the greater Houston area.
The scholarship application is now live! Click HERE to apply!
Ladies are you ready to "Rule This World"?
If you have any questions regarding the Scholarship Application process or the distribution of scholarship funds, please email the WEN Scholarship Committee at email@example.com.
Regeneron Science Talent Search 2022
Started in 1942 as the Westinghouse Science Talent Search, the Regeneron Science Talent Search recognizes and empowers our nation’s most promising young scientists who are developing ideas that could solve society’s most urgent challenges. Each year, nearly 1,900 students enter submitting original research in critically important scientific fields of study. Unique among high school competitions, it focuses on identifying, inspiring, and engaging the most promising scientists among the nation’s high school seniors. Applications close Nov 10.
HIGH SCHOOL AEROSPACE SCHOLAR
Want to know more? CLICK HERE
Academy Required Courses
Grade 9th - Introduction to Engineering and Design, AAC/AP Math and AAC/APScience
Grade 10th - Engineering Science, AAC/AP Math and AAC/AP Science
Grade 11th - Aero OR Civil Engineering, AAC/AP Math and AAC/AP Science
Grade 12th - Engineering Design and Development, AAC/AP Math and AAC/AP Science
Color A Smile
To get credit for your volunteer hours, see VALIDATE YOUR HOURS below.
Instructions for Teens
1. Print 2. Color 3. Sign 4. Mail
1. Print a page from the choices below.
(or use plain paper and create your own cheerful drawing)
2. Color the page using crayons or markers. (please NO GLITTER)
3. Sign the drawing with your FIRST name and AGE. (please NO DATES on any drawings)
4. Mail the cheerful drawings to:
Color A Smile PO Box 1516 Morristown NJ 07962-1516
FedEx and UPS use: 164 Ridgedale Ave Unit 7 Morristown NJ 07960
(It is OK to fold the drawings to fit them in an envelope.)
Read and all instructions below for sending the coloring and validating volunteer hours.
*Six Hours MAX from this organization.
Houston Audubon Volunteer Opportunities
Founded by volunteers in 1969, the mission of Houston Audubon is to advance the conservation of birds and positively impact their supporting environments.
From supporting our staff at our headquarters, to maintaining trails on our Bird Sanctuaries, to increasing appreciation and understanding of birds throughout Houston, and more, volunteers are the lifeblood of Houston Audubon!
Read below to learn more about our current volunteers needs and how you can get involved in helping protect bird habitat in your community. Click the link below for more information
Whether you love to work one-on-one with people in need or to work diligently behind the scenes, we have a place for you. People like you give their time and talents to help us serve our neighbors through the most devastating moments of their life. We could not do this work without generous volunteers. Volunteers ages 12 to 15 must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Before your volunteer session and for a quicker check-in, complete this online volunteer application: https://secondmile.keepntrack.com/apply/index.html?db=secondmile.
- Please be sure to sign in at the volunteer kiosk and sign out after volunteering. We will not be able to process your volunteer records without these steps.
Mask Mandate Update (August 2021)
In accordance with the latest CDC guidelines and with the rapid rise in Covid-19 cases, masks are required for all individuals who enter Second Mile.
Thank you for your help in supporting this ministry while prioritizing the health of our community.
SMITHSONIAN DIGITAL VOLUNTEERS:
Please join us in saving lives by preparing medical supplies for shipment to hospitals and clinics in need around the world. Activities may include organizing warehouse inventory, sorting medical supplies, supporting administrative efforts, pulling for and loading containers, or other projects to be accomplished for the day. This will be a fun, engaging, and hands-on experience.
Project C.U.R.E. was founded in 1987 to help meet the need for medical supplies, equipment, and services around the world. Project C.U.R.E. builds sustainable healthcare infrastructure by providing the medical supplies and equipment needed to deliver healthcare in communities. Since its inception, Project C.U.R.E. has delivered medical relief to people in need in more than 130 countries.
- Go to this link: https://projectcure.volunteerhub.com/lp/houston/
- Scroll to the calendar and select a date which you are available (Make sure to go fast, spots are filling up!)
- Select “Sign Up” and “Create new account”
- Once you have created your account, you will be emailed a confirmation
- Students below 18 must print/ fill out a waiver form signed by their parent/guardian and bring it to the event *The waiver will be in your email confirmation
- New volunteers must arrive 10-15 minutes early to their volunteer slot for an orientation
Thank you for volunteering to serve with Project C.U.R.E.
Project C.U.R.E.’s Houston facility is located at 8303 Kempwood Drive, Houston, TX 77055. We are located in Spring Branch near the intersection of Bingle and Kempwood.
Before arriving, please review the safety guidelines in this video.
Also, please keep the following in mind:
- Volunteers are required to wear closed-toed shoes in the warehouse.
- Please dress comfortably and wear weather appropriate clothing - the warehouse can be warm in the summer and cool in the winter.
- Some of our tasks can be physically demanding but are always optional
- Minimum age to volunteer is 15 (under 18 requires parent/legal guardian signed consent in advance).
We look forward to working with you soon! Thanks for your interest in helping in our mission of "delivering Health & Hope to the world!"
The safety of our volunteers and staff is our top priority. We are taking all possible precautions. During your volunteer time, we will be following CDC recommendations and all volunteers and staff are required to follow social distancing guidelines and wear a mask and gloves. If you have your own mask, please bring it to your volunteer session. Disposable masks will be provided if needed. Please wash your hands or use hand sanitizer throughout your volunteer session. Please do not come volunteer if you are feeling ill or have been in contact with someone feeling ill. Your support in maintaining a safe facility is tremendously appreciated!
Please keep in mind the following:
- Attire: Volunteers are required to wear closed-toed shoes. We recommend comfortable, weather-appropriate attire that you don't mind getting dusty. The warehouse is colder in winters and warmer in summers.
- Timing: Please arrive on time. You will be led by a Volunteer Leader and they will need adequate time to explain to you what will need to be done.
- Food/drink: You are welcome to bring water and small snacks with you if you wish.
- Age: The minimum age to volunteer is 14 years old; volunteers younger than 18 years old will need parent/legal guardian consent signature.
- Cancellation concern: If you are unable to attend, please cancel your registration so we do not schedule staff unnecessarily.
We look forward to working with you soon! Thank you for helping us in delivering health and hope to the world.
Alison Engineering Online Courses
Select a course that interest you. Most course are 1-3 hours along working at your own pace. Once you successfully completed the course you will see a certificate of completion. Screen shot the certificate. Insert the certificate picture into the enrichment form and upload it to Schoology.
*Only one online enrichment pre semester.
College Career Military Readiness
Mrs. Carter, your College and Career Advisor is available for students to seek advice in regards to postsecondary planning, assist with college applications, applying for scholarships, revise college essays, inform students about different colleges, and assist with Military recruitment. Parents are also welcome to reach out to Mrs. Carter if they have questions and concerns regarding post-secondary education/careers.
CLICK HERE for Elkins CCMR website