Hamilton County Headlines
We had a wonderful turnout to our 4-H family movie night! Thanks for supporting Hamilton County 4-H!
4-H Volunteer Recognition
Hamilton County Public Speaking Contest
Ag Building- Hamilton County Fairgrounds
Registration is due by Monday, March 29, 2021, by clicking HERE
4-H age divisions:
Clover Kids: ages 5-7, ½ - 2 minutes
Original Speech or Any Reading (poem or story) Participation Ribbons only
Novice (first-time speaker)
Novice Original: ages 8-10, 3 minutes or less
Novice Reading: ages 8-10, 3 minutes or less
Junior: 8-10, 1-3 minutes
Original speech related to 4-H
Intermediate: 11-13, 3-5 minutes
Original speech related to 4-H
Senior: 14-18, 5-8 minutes
Original Speech related to 4-H
• All speeches must be original and include 4-H as the major component of the speech.
• Many speakers in the Public Speaking Contest have given speeches in other contests. This is fine; however previous speeches may not be used verbatim for the 4-H contest. It is okay to use the same ideas from a speech previously delivered in competition, but it must be 4-H related. Enough changes should be made to make that speech new to the speaker and the audience. 4-H public speakers may not use an old speech written by a sibling, another 4-H member, or anyone else.
• Acknowledge the source of information used in the speech. For example, an article from a magazine may be used for reference but should not be quoted directly unless you tell the audience your source.
• Use of visual aids and props are not allowed
• Dress appropriately. Do not wear costumes or special effect clothing. • No team speeches are allowed.
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT (PSA)
All PSA’s are 60 seconds in length. • The state theme for the 2021 Public Service Announcement is "Opportunity 4 All" and should be incorporated in the PSA.
• All radio PSA’s must promote 4-H and be general enough to be used anywhere in Nebraska at any time of the year.
• All 4-H PSA’s must include the following tag line within the last ten seconds of the PSA: “Learn more about Nebraska Extension 4-H Youth Development Program at 4h.unl.edu.” The tag line is included in the 60 second time limit. The tagline Know-How, Know Now should not be used.
• Sound effects and public domain music may be used. Copyrighted material may not be used. • All PSA’s must be the original work of the presenter. Contestants may not use PSA’s written and provided by the state or national staff.
• No team PSA’s are allowed. • Radio PSA’s will be submitted electronically as a .wav or mp3 format along with 1 copy of the PSA text. (No CDs accepted)
Award will be awarded to the top purple ribbon winner in each division with the exception of Clover Kids.
Hamilton County Public Speaking Workshop
We are hosting an in-person or zoom workshop on March 16, 2021, from 5:30 PM - 7:00 PM at the Extension Office. We will talk about the basics of constructing a simple speech where you will learn tools and skills to apply when writing your speech for the contest.
Register by clicking HERE by March 12, 2021.
JR. CAMP FOR HAMILTON COUNTY YOUTH
- Do you have a child who is 4-H age 8-11?
- Do they want to have a fun camp experience locally?
- Not ready for a full-week camp experience, but ready to have them go camping for a couple of days to learn new skills, develop friendships, and lifelong memories?
Jr. Camp at Whispering Pines in Genoa is the perfect place for your child!
When: June 2-4, 2021
Who: Youth who are 4-H age 8-11 (12-year-olds will be accepted if there is available space)
How to register: Click HERE
For a printable copy of the flier: Click HERE
Horseless Horse- Stampede Spin Club
Tuesday, Feb. 9th, 6pm
1784 Fairgrounds Road
Central City, NE
Would you like to learn more about horses? You are invited to learn more at the Horseless Horse – Stampede Spin Club for 4-H and FFA members ages 10-18 years. This no horse needed class will explore the horse from the outside in and everything in between. Bring a friend interested in horses, with you!
HORSELESS HORSE – STAMPEDE SPIN CLUB
• Merrick County 4-H Building (1784 Fairgrounds Rd, Central City)
• 6:00 – 7:30 p.m.
• Tuesday, March 9
• Tuesday, March 16
• Tuesday, March 23
• *Optional Saturday, March 27, Stampede – State 4-H Horse Quiz Bowl Contest at University of Nebraska – Lincoln
To register, click on the link https://forms.gle/GB7uQk1aaE15qdJF9 or use the QR code on the attachment.
For more information, please contact the Merrick County Extension Office 308-946-3843 or email email@example.com.
New 4-H Dog Achievement Program
4-H Dog Achievement Program
The program consists of levels that require a young person to plan and report a broad range of age-appropriate accomplishments.
For each level, the Dog Achievement program provides a list of accomplishments from which 4-H youth choose their goals.
The accomplishments increase in the quantity and difficulty for each level.
At the beginning of the 4-H year, participants plan what to accomplish and at the end of the 4-H year, they report on their completed accomplishments. Successful completion of a level's Plan & Report form results in a 4-H youth earning that level of the Dog Achievement program.
More information can be found at https://4h.unl.edu/dog-achievement-program
For any questions, contact Grace Kim at Grace.firstname.lastname@example.org
It is recommended on the program page that Plan & Report Forms should be to county offices at least 1 month prior to the county awards night for youth to be recognized.
YQCA (YOUTH FOR QUALITY CARE OF ANIMALS)
YQCA (Youth for the Quality Care of Animals) Face-to-Face Trainings
Sunday, March 21, 2021
2pm at the 4-H Building
Sunday, April 18, 2021
2pm at the 4-H Building
Watch our Facebook page for more class opportunities!
Nebraska 4-H youth ages 8-18, who are enrolled in any of the livestock projects listed below are required to complete YQCA annually either Face-to-Face or online. The deadline to complete and email in your annual YQCA certificate to Hillary is Friday, July 9, 2021.
Youth enrolled in any of following projects or project areas will need to complete YQCA training.
• Beef (bucket calf, feeder calf, breeding beef, market beef)
• Dairy Cattle
• Goat (breeding meat goat, dairy goat, meat goat and pygmy goat)
• Sheep (breeding sheep, market sheep)
• Swine (breeding swine, market swine)
Online Login Instructions:
For those youth who would rather complete YQCA online, visit the YQCA login page to begin https://yqca.learngrow.io/Account/Login. Select "Sign in with 4HOnline" and select "Nebraska 4-H Youth Development" from the dropdown. Use your family 4HOnline login and password information to access the courses for the active 4-H members in your family. Only active members will show in the drop down menu for access to the course. All 4-H members will need to use the 4-H tab and not the FFA tab even if they are members of both organizations.
All registration questions with YQCA should be directed to email@example.com.
• Your club may also set a date for face-to-face training with Hillary
Call the Ext. Office 402-694-6174
2021 SPECIAL GARDEN PROJECT
Nebraska Extension Special Gardening Project lets 4-H members try their hand at growing unusual vegetables and flowers. The project allows experienced 4-H gardeners to grow something fun, new, and different while letting those new to gardening get their feet wet in this project area.
This project is open to all youth of 4-H age and it will give them the opportunity to learn about growing, harvesting, and exhibiting a tasty vegetable; obtain the tools necessary to be successful gardeners, and learn about the wide range of plant-science related careers. Last year over 1700 4-H members were enrolled in the project.
The 2021 Special Garden Project is focused on the tasty Hakurei Turnip. These are not your grandmother’s turnips. Hakurei is a white salad turnip that is smooth, round, and at its best when harvested under 2”. The roots can be eaten raw or cooked and the tops can also be cooked.
Youth should enroll for the Special Garden Project through 4-H Online. Once enrolled in 4-H Online, youth are to call our office to sign up for the project (order the seeds). Our office ordered 20 seed packets. So the first 20 registered will get them!
By enrolling through 4-H Online, youth will have access to the OneDrive folder with the educational materials including the growing newsletter & evaluation.