Fifth Grade Newsletter
September 5, 2019
- Absent/Late: If your child is going to absent or arrive late due to an appointment, please email the teacher as well as email@example.com as soon as possible
- Appointments: a doctor’s note is required for an appointment to be excused and must be submitted to the office within 3 days of the appointment
- A parent note/email or doctor note must be provided for an absence or it will remain unexcused (phone calls must be followed with an email/note)
- Truancy and Tardy guidelines:
- At 3 Unexcused Absences and/or Leave Earlies=a first warning letter is sent home
- At 7 Unexcused Absences and/or Leave Earlies=a final warning letter is sent home, an admin/parent meeting is held, an attendance contract is initiated
- At 10 Unexcused Absences and/or Leave Earlies=referral to Truancy Prevention Officer and possible Truancy court
- At 5 tardies= Data Clerk contacts parent to alert them of attendance concern
- At 10 tardies= AP contacts parents
- At 15 tardies = AP develops an action plan with parents
- See FISD Attendance Guidelines at https://www.friscoisd.org/about/resources-and-information/school-attendance for more details
Mentor Program - Volunteers Needed!
It is a policy of the Frisco Independent School District that all fifth-grade students take the Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT). This is a standardized test that measures students’ learned reasoning abilities.
The test is divided into three areas: verbal, quantitative, and nonverbal problems. The verbal set of tests assesses the students’ abilities to search, retrieve, and compare processes that are essential for verbal reasoning. The quantitative tests assess the students’ abilities to reason about patterns and relations using various concepts. The nonverbal tests assess the students’ abilities to reason using spatial and figural content.
The test will be administered to all fifth grade students on October 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Each testing period will last approximately one hour. This test is very important, and it is important that all students be in attendance on test days. Please do not schedule any appointments for your child on October 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.
Curriculum Night is TONIGHT!
Pine Cove 5th Grade Camp
As you know, this is the year for 5th Grade Camp. Pine Cove Timbers in Tyler, Texas is the site of this amazing outdoor learning opportunity for students. Students will have an opportunity to participate in hands-on activities that will develop their awareness, appreciation, and understanding of the outdoor environment. It is an extension of our classroom. The camp curriculum is aligned with the State and the camp staff is outstanding; and you can feel good about your child’s participation in this enriching opportunity.
A Pine Cove parent information meeting will be held September 24th from 6:00 - 7:00 pm, but in the mean time, we wanted to give you some information so you can plan ahead.
- The dates for camp are Wednesday, November 20 through Friday, November 22.
- The cost for the camp is $153 per child and $20 transportation fee. Payment is due on Oct. 30.
- Students are supervised the entire time by camp personnel, chaperones, and teachers.
- If you are interested in being a chaperone and have not yet signed up, please contact Mrs. Baril at firstname.lastname@example.org (chaperones chosen at random mid Oct. and background checks must be done by Oct.1) Chaperone fee is approximately $75-$80.
- Students stay in nice cabins with a/c, heat, and private showers.
- All meals are included. Dietary restrictions are accommodated and can be designated here http://bit.ly/2vqKReU If you questions about dietary needs please contact Mrs. Baril at email@example.com
All other questions regarding Pine Cove will be addressed in our informational meeting on Sept. 24.
Don't Forget to Preregister for Celebrate Smith
You may preregister online before 2:00 on Thursdays and your badge will be ready for you for you Friday morning. If you have not yet scanned your drivers license this year, you will need to do that at school. Here is the link to preregister https://goo.gl/Oshd0H
September 5 - Curriculum Night
September 9-13 - College Week
September 13 - Dot Day
September 19 - PTA General Meeting
September 24 - Pine Cove Information Meeting
September 24 - Picture Day
September 27 - Stampede Kick-Off