Druid Hills High School
Week at a Glance - February 21
Cards are available in the Main Office for staff to sign. In lieu of flowers, Druid Hills High will be making a donation to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Please see Ms. Huffman or Ms. Cunningham by Friday morning if you would like to make a donation in Joel's honor.
Please keep the Adamson family in your family.
CLG Meetings 2/22 - Update
Meetings occur during the first half of planning. For tomorrow, all periods will take place in 200A (Ms. Robinson's room). Please bring your class rosters to the meeting.
Friday - Black History Month Assembly - Adjusted Bell Schedule
8:00 First Bell
8:05 Second Bell
8:10 – 9:30 First Period
9:35 – 10:55 Second Period
11:00 – 1:01 Third Period
- 11:00-11:25 A Lunch (Tardy at 11:30)
- 11:32-11:57 B Lunch (Tardy at 12:02)
- 12:04-12:29 C Lunch (Tardy at 12:34)
- 12:36-1:01 D Lunch
1:06-2:15 Fourth Period
2:25-3:10 Black History Month Assembly
Teachers - Accurate Attendance is Key! - from Dr. Jackson
It is essential that you take attendance daily for each class period. Dr. Jackson uses inconsistent attendance patterns over the course of a school day as one means to identify truant students. When you do not accurately record student absences (when other teachers do), the student is flagged for administrative investigation. Inaccurate attendance results in instructional time lost for the student (who is already behind in class due to the absence).
If you are absent, please leave instructions for the sub to take attendance every period and return it to the Attendance Office.
Jr./Sr. Awards Nominations
This is the time of year that we traditionally select junior and senior students to receive the academic awards at Druid Hills. Represent your students for Junior Book Awards and Senior Academic Awards! The selection committee will meet in room 201A after school on Thursday, Feb. 23, to make the selections. Please attend or send information with a colleague to represent your students. The awards ceremony will be Friday, April 14.
Please contact Ms. Steffen for more information.
Red Devil Athletic Updates
- Boys Basketball: Druid Hills fought valiantly but lost to Perry Saturday night in the first round of the state playoffs, 56-72. Congratulations to the team for their accomplishments this season.
- Boys Soccer: Druid Hills gave coach Thomas Bodnar a lovely Valentines Day gift by beating Paideia 2-0. Team Captain Luke Narker fired the opening goal from close range, followed just minutes later by sophomore Menkaseh Tokpah's deft goal into the side netting. Goalkeeper Josh Lloyd and the defense maintained a clean sheet yet again. Later the same week, the Red Devils overcame N. Oconee 1-0 in a tense contest. Solid defensive work by Matt Overstreet, Max Simpson, Will Johnson, and GK Josh Lloyd kept the opposition at bay. In the 77th minute, senior Luke Narker was fouled in the penalty box, earned a penalty kick, and scored the game's only goal to give the Red Devils an unbeaten 4-0 streak in the region.
Track: Congratulations to the track team for their outstanding performance at the Parkview Invitational Meet! Key performances include:
- Carter Rathur: 1st in the 1600m, 2nd in the 3200m
- Genevieve Ferrara: 1st in the 3200m
- Girls 4x400 relay: 1st (Lyric Yarber, Aija Wall, Amber Austin, Malika Rey)
- Kevis Harmon: 2nd in the triple jump
- Emanuel Faria: 2nd in the 800m
- Boys 4x100 relay: 2nd (Ruben Taylor, Shavar Bernard, Kevis Harmon, Kenyon Blackshear)
- Emily Griepsson: 3rd in the 3200m
- Shavar Bernard: 2nd in the 200m, 3rd in the 100m dash
Free Mock SAT/ACT Tests @ DHHS
Mock ACT: Saturday, March 18 at 9am in the Cafeteria
To register for either (or both) exams, go to applerouth.com/signup and enter the event code M246123 (SAT) or M246126 (ACT).
Applerouth Spring 2017 SAT/ACT Course Information (classes held at Druid Hills High)
Prepare for the SAT or ACT in an interactive Workshop where students learn the major concepts and strategies needed to master the exam. Class price includes group instruction, all materials, and a full-length practice test under simulated testing conditions. Parents will receive an email after every session detailing what was covered. Workshop price: $149
SAT Schedule - SAT3085 (Event Code)
- Mock SAT: Sat Mar 4 9:00am - 1:30pm
- Tutoring (group): Mon Mar 6 4:00pm - 7:00pm
- Tutoring (group): Wed Mar 8 4:00pm - 7:00pm
SAT Schedule - SAT3105 (Event Code)
- Mock SAT: Sat Apr 22 9:00am - 1:30pm
- Tutoring (group): Wed Apr 26 4:00pm - 7:00pm
- Tutoring (group): Wed May 3 4:00pm - 7:00pm
ACT Schedule - ACT3086 (Event Code)
- Mock ACT: Sat Mar 18 9:15am - 1:30pm
- Tutoring (group): Tue Mar 21 4:00pm - 7:00pm
- Tutoring (group): Tue Mar 28 4:00pm - 7:00pm
To register for one (or both) of the SAT workshops, go to applerouth.com/signup and enter the event code SAT3085 (March Workshop) or SAT3105 (for the late Spring workshop).
To register for the ACT workshop, go to applerouth.com/signup and enter the event code ACT3086.
NEW! Boot Camp @ Druid Hills High
Druid Hills High School is offering a boot camp on Mondays and Thursdays beginning February 27 from 3:30-4:20. This is in addition to the free yoga classes offered by Ms. Petersen on alternating Tuesdays.
The cost is $5 per session (cash please). Sessions will be led by Lisa Horowitz, a personal trainer and group fitness instructor.
If you are interested in participating, please complete the Google Doc. Thank you!
DeKalb Educators’ Annual Conference 2017 - CALL FOR PROPOSALS
ALL DCSD Educators are invited to propose a presentation for the 3rd annual DEAC (DeKalb Educators’ Annual Conference 2017), which is a 2-day conference for DeKalb Educators by DeKalb Educators!
Dr. Barbara Blackburn (author of "Rigor is NOT a Four- Letter Word") will be DEAC's Day 1 Keynote Speaker and will also facilitate breakout sessions!
The conference will be held May 31-June 1, 2017 @ Lithonia High School.
CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW FOR MORE INFORMATION
V Baseball v Chamblee @ DHMS 10a (Cunningham)
V Baseball v Lakeside @ DHMS 3p (Cunningham)
Tuesday, February 21
Fifth Period & Study Hall
End of Course Mid-month through 2/24
B LAX v Woodward 6p @ DHHS (Jackson)
JV Baseball @ Drew 5p @ DHMS (Joyner)
Tennis v SWD 4p @ Dottie Bridges
V Soccer v Decatur 5:30p @ Adams (Ingram)
Wednesday, February 22
CLG during Planning
JV Soccer v Chamblee 5p @ DHMS (Boys - Jackson) @ Chamblee (Girls - Ingram)
Track @ Miller Grove 5p
Golf v Clarkston/SWD 4p @ Stn. Mtn.
JV Tennis v Chamblee 4p @ DeKalb Tennis Center
Thursday, February 23
Tutorials: Emory Dream, ESOL, 5th Period, Study Hall
Chat & Chew 4p Melton's
V Baseball @ Paideia 4:30p (Joyner)
Golf v Arabia Mtn/Miller Grove 4p @ Stn. Mtn.
VB LAX @ Grady 6p (Alexander)
Friday, February 24
Black History Month Program 3:25p Gym
V Soccer @ Meadowcreek 5:30p (Palmer)
Saturday, February 25
V Baseball v Tucker @ Chamblee 12:30p
JV Baseball v Chamblee @ Tucker 12:30p (Joyner)
V Baseball @ Chamblee 3p (Ingram)
JV Baseball @ Tucker 3pm (Joyner)
Track @ Eagles Landing 9a
AM Duty/PM Bus Duty
Science Bldg: Rachford
Gym: J. Lee
Bus Duty: Patel
Bus Duty: Anderson
A Lunch: Reiss
B Lunch: Hart
C Lunch: Lucas
D Lunch: Steffen