Teen Suicide from Bullying
Power is Words, Words Change Lives... Use Them Wisely
*people who engage in suicide-related behavior often have been bullied
* people who are bullied and engage in bullying activities will increase their chances of suicide-related behavior
This is Josh Pacheco. He committed suicide in 2012 because of bullying. He was found in his car with a note. The note stated, "I'm sorry I wasn't strong enough."
This is Ciara Pugsley. At age 15 she was found dead in the woods. The cause: Bullying. After people over the internet called her "ugly slut" repeatedly she couldn't take it anymore.
This is Erin Gallagher and she committed suicide at age 13 in 2012 because of bullying about her weight and how she looked. She told her bullies to stop or else she would kill herself. She died on October 27th. The cause- bullying
See how Bullying and Suicide Signs are the Same
Symptoms of Bullying and Suicide
Signs of Bullying include:
- A feeling of helplessness or hopelessness
- increase of sadness
- increase in loneliness
- Changes in sleep habits
- Changes in eating patterns
- loss of activity.
All are linked to suicide
Signs of Suicide include:
- Depression or other illnesses like Bipolar
- Anorexia (lack of eating or making yourself throw up)
- Withdrawing from friends
- Abusing drugs or alcohol
- Change in personality
- Strong anger or rage
- Increase of loneliness
- Feeling of hopelessness
- Increase in anxiety
As we travel down town we will get the experience to interact with others. We will have an assembly to inform all students on the issue and from there we will, as Oldham county, ban together and decrease the suicides because of bullying.
Also, as the students ,so to speak run the school, we encourage those around to stand up. Your life depends on what you do and by staying quiet, your friends and other people will never know that you are there. If you are informed by any of your friends engaging in suicidal behavior tell an adult. It is better to loose a friendship then loose your friend for good. Your words CAN change the lives of others and may save them.
The Previous Information was Gathered From the Following Resouces
- Bullseye. Digital image. Target.ws. Target, n.d. Web. 18 Apr. 2015.
- “Suicide Prevention." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 09 Jan. 2014. Web. 22 Apr. 2015. <http://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/pub/youth_suicide.html>.
- Cdc. "Relationship Between Suicide and Bullying." The Relationship Between Bullying and Suicide: What We Know and What It Means for Schools (n.d.): n. pag. The Relationship Between Bullying Ans Sucide. Cdc.gov, None Apr. 2014. Web. 23 Apr. 2015. <http://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/pdf/bullying-suicide-translation-final-a.pdf>.
- Caiuso,Kevin. "Suicide Warning Signs." Suicide.org! SPAS,n.d.Web.24 Apr.2015
- Heddleston,Sara. "Why This Girl Died Will Make You Sick to Your Stomach. But it can be Stopped," RSS Viralnova, 13 Sept. 2013.Web 24. Apr.2015
- Boderick, Ryan. Ciara Pugsley, Erin Gallagher. Digital image. 9 Teenage Suicides In The Last Year Were Linked To Cyber-Bullying On Social Network Ask.fm. Buzzfeed.com, 11 Sept. 2013. Web. 25 Apr. 2015. <http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/a-ninth-teenager-since-last-september-has-committed-suicide#.cbyMj0wNn>.
- Cdc. "Realtionship between Suicide and Bullying." The Relationship Between Bullying and Suicide: What We Know and What It Means for Schools (2014): 1-10. Realtionhip Between Bullying Ans Suicide. Cdc.gov, Apr. 2014. Web. 25 Apr. 2015. http://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/pdf/bullying-suicide-translation-final-a.pdf.
- Edgerten, Elizabeth. "Stopbullying Blog." Research Brief: Suicide and Bullying. Stopbullying.gov, 27 Feb. 2013. Web. 25 Apr. 2015. <http://www.stopbullying.gov/blog/2013/02/27/research-brief-suicide-and-bullying>.