CMC Weekly Newsletter
December 3, 2015
Welcome Students! This is the place to get important information, updates and shout outs! Brought to you by the CMC!!
Star Student of the Week: Whitney Merritt
Second year MBA student Whitney Merritt has been actively working toward developing her leadership skills since she first started the program last Fall. She earned the nomination as President of Graziadio Emerging Leaders and became active in several other clubs taking the lead on projects and events along the way. Whitney's background has been primarily in entertainment, working with production companies and this past summer she was an on-air promos intern with NBCUniversal. This fall she attended the National Association of Women MBA's Conference and participated in the AT&T Case Competition held on campus. All of Whitney's efforts and hard work have paid off as she recently accepted a job offer with AT&T and will be working in their coveted Leadership Development Program. This program will be a perfect place for Whitney to further develop as a leader and to put all her other strengths and knowledge from the MBA program to good use.
Whitney says, "I am thrilled to accept the opportunity to join AT&T and look forward to advancing my career through such a prestigious Leadership Development Program. After participating in the case competition, I was exposed to all of the innovative and new areas AT&T is venturing into that fit with my long-term goals. While AT&T was not on my initial list of companies, I think that staying open and continuing to participate in events on campus made me more aware of an opportunity that turned into a job offer. My biggest advice to other students is never say no without getting more information first and especially stay on top of career events."
Congratulations, Whitney! The sky's the limit!
Top 10 Ways to Find Your Career Path - by Melanie Pinola
10. Think About What Excites and Energizes You – Your passion will give you the strength to get through the tough times
9. What Are You Good At – “Don’t do what you love. Do what you are.”
8. Take a Test – Career Leader Assessment test is excellent to bring your strengths into view
7. Get an Internship – You’ll find out if this is really the career for you or not, and can help build your network to working professionals
6. Find a Mentor – They could give you inside information or you may be able to job shadow them to see what the work is like on a daily basis
5. Explore Unconventional Careers – google “unusual careers in _accounting_”
4. Ask Other People – Informational interviews help give you a true perspective of a company
3. Use the G+P+V Formula – Gifts + Passion + Values. Consider your strengths, passion and values when choosing a career path
2. Make a Career Plan – This roadmap to success will help you plan out your future endeavors in the shortest time possible
1. See Your Career as a Set of Stepping Stones, Not a Linear Path – Your career is a marathon, not a sprint
See the full article here: http://lifehacker.com/top-10-ways-to-find-your-career-path-1628537579
We hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday and if you've finished your finals already, we hope you are getting a great start to the remainder of the holiday season! Please note that during your break from classes the Career Management Center will not be posting newsletters. You will get a new one upon your return to classes in January.
Also, while the Career Management Center will be closed December 24, 2015 - January 3, 2016 for the holidays, you can still make appointments with your career counselor during the next couple weeks while you are not in class. Our counselors are willing to meet with you face-to-face, over the phone or by skype while you are traveling. Please see their availability on the Career Portal and email them directly on how you plan to meet.
We, at the Career Management Center, hope that you have a blessed holiday and enjoy some much needed time off!!!
- December 24th - Jan 3rd: Campus Closed for the holidays
*Mark your calendars for the following events coming up in Spring 2016:
- January 13: Bank of America Summer Internship Resumes Due
- January 14: AT&T Summer Internship Resumes Due
- January 19: AT&T Summer Internship On Campus Interviews
- January 21: Bank of America Summer Internship On Campus Interviews
- February 19: Hire SoCal 2016 Graduate Business Career Fair
Apply for these opportunities on the Career Portal!