We Are Together Tamanend!
May 24, 2019
Congratulations to Tamanend's Relay for Life Teams!
Thank you to all of the students who made this year's Relay for Life a great success! Over 200 Tamanend students came to Tohickon this past Saturday to support the fight against Cancer. Together, Tamanend students raised over $22,000 for the American Cancer Society. Overall, the five CB Middle Schools raised over $118,000! Thank you to all captains, participants, chaperones, and staff members for your hard work and dedication.
CALENDAR ITEMS TO NOTE
Upcoming Events at a Glance
Memorial Day (School Holiday)--Monday, May 27
9th Grade Move-Up Day--Wednesday, May 29 at CB South during school day
Principal's Recognition Ceremony--Monday, June 3 @ 7:00 PM
Freshman Dance--Friday, June 7 @ 7:30 PM
Freshman Day--Wednesday, June 12
Talent Show--Thursday, June 13 during school day
Closing Ceremony--Friday, June 14 during school day
Last Day of School--Friday, June 14 (early dismissal)
Last Newsletter of 2018-2019--to be released Friday, June 14
Welcome Back Informational Newsletter for 2019-2020--to be released Friday, August 2
First Regular Newsletter for 2019-2020--to be released Friday, August 30
8th Grade Civil War Challenge
The 8th grade Civil War challenge came to an end on Thursday, May 16 in dramatic fashion with Pennsylvania nearly overtaking their arch enemy. But when the dust settled over the tenting, review, town ball, and drilling fields, it was South Carolina B who walked away with the victory, completing a near wire-to-wire run over the last 7 weeks. Congratulations to all members, especially commanders Breckyn Loynd and Michael Perry. As for the overall side victory, history had to be repeated as the North won by a whopping 165,000 soldiers, including a total sweep of town ball!
Reminder--Summer Reading/One School, One Book
Starting this summer, we will be engaging the Tamanend community in a One School, One Book program. A committee of teachers, librarians, and administrators worked for a year to choose a book that would appeal to our entire school community. We are pleased to announce that we will be reading Posted by John David Anderson. We encourage all of next year’s Tamanend students to read this book over the summer. The book is widely available online and through Central Bucks book fairs. If you are aware of a student who might have difficulty purchasing this book due to a financial hardship, please email Kristi Holloway at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we may obtain a copy for the student. Click here to watch a short video of the author of Posted speaking about this book. We are planning a variety of activities throughout the 19-20 school year to engage all members of the Tamanend community in discussions related to this book.
THIS WEEK'S TEEN TALK
What is Teen Talk? Each week, we will include a resource in our newsletter designed to promote conversations between parents and children regarding important issues related to teenagers. We hope that these resources serve to help parents and students navigate the excitement and challenges associated with the teenage years. In addition, we will highlight topics that we are discussing in Advisory and in presentations so that you may continue the conversation at home with your teen.
This Week's Teen Talk Topic: Mental Health Awareness (May is Mental Health Awareness Month)
May is Mental Health Awareness Month. The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) has many resources related to mental health, wellness, and treatment. Click here to access these resources and learn how to connect the young people in your life with help. If you are concerned that your teen is struggling with mental health issues, please remember that our certified school nurse and guidance counselors are here for assistance.
HELPUL REMINDERS ABOUT TAMANEND PROCEDURES
Reminder--Student Assistance Program (SAP)
The Student Assistance Program (SAP) has been established in schools throughout Pennsylvania. SAP Programs provide schools with the means to identify, refer, and support students who are exhibiting behavioral, academic, or attendance issues that put them at risk. Tamanend has a team of dedicated school personnel who are trained to assist students, faculty and family members in identifying problems that impact the student’s ability to function in school. The team can also offer students and their families resources to assist them in alleviating these problems. For more information about the SAP Program, please click here. To complete a SAP referral form for a Tamanend student, please click here.
Athletic Department News
- Good luck to the 8th grade softball and baseball teams in their postseason tournaments at Lenape next week.
- Good luck to the 8th grade girls soccer team in their postseason championship game on Tuesday!
- Congratulations to the Tamanend track team who traveled to Tohickon and participated in the CB/CR Classic CHAMPS with seven other schools. Over a dozen medals were earned as we ran, jumped and threw our way to an overall 3rd place in the competition! Great job, Tigers!
- During the Fall of 2019, our 7th and 8th Grade students will have an opportunity to play volleyball at the middle school level through community school. This Spring, each high school will host a volleyball clinic to prepare current 6th and 7th Graders for next Fall.
FROM CB SOUTH:
- If you could not attend the concussion presentation/ImPact testing for all students trying out for Fall sports at CB South on Monday, May 13th, the make-up date is Tuesday, June 11th at 3:00 in the cafeteria. If you are planning to take the South shuttle that day, you must register with Mr. Klein in order to take the bus. Students must be picked up by parents at CB South.
- Family ID will open June 3rd for CB South Fall sports registration.
- South Girls Basketball open gyms are held Tuesdays from 6:30-8:30 and Wednesdays from 2:30-4:00.
- CB South Girls Volleyball open gyms are held Wednesdays in the Aux Gym from 7:00 to 9:00.
- CB South Boys Basketball open gyms will be held Mondays 6:30-8:00 and Thursdays from 3:00 to 4:30, through June 6th.
- All open gyms are weather dependent. Announcements will be made for cancellations.
This Week's Athletic Schedule
- Memorial Day (school holiday)
- 7th Grade Baseball vs. Tohickon (Home)
- 8th Grade Softball vs. TBD (postseason tournament at Lenape); bus leaves at 2:40
- 8th Grade Baseball vs. TBD (postseason tournament at Lenape); bus leaves at 2:40
- 8th Grade Girls Soccer vs. Tohickon (Postseason Tournament Championship at Tohickon); bus leaves at 2:40
- Girls Lacrosse Postseason Tournament Championship at Tamanend (Holicong vs. Lenape); 3:15
- 8th Grade Softball vs. TBD (postseason tournament championship at Lenape); bus leaves at 2:40 (*if we qualify)
- 8th Grade baseball vs. TBD (postseason tournament championship at Lenape); bus leaves at 2:40 (*if we qualify)
END OF SPRING SEASON
Thanks to everyone for a fun and successful season!!
UPCOMING TAMANEND EVENTS
UPCOMING SOUTHSIDE EVENTS
CB South Mock Trial Summer Camp
UPCOMING DISTRICT & COMMUNITY EVENTS
District Art Show--May 31 Through June 2 at CB West
Joe Ramos' Break the Silence Community Picnic--July 27
RESOURCES AND ASSISTANCE
Reminder--Help with Resources
If you are experiencing a financial hardship, please know that the staff members listed below can help you and your family. We can provide assistance with food, clothing, student fees, internet access, and other issues. Please don't hesitate to contact us:
Brian Caughie, Principal email@example.com
Kyle Dudley, Assistant Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Lauren Myrtetus, Certified School Nurse email@example.com
Jeff Klein, Guidance Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Mandy Cammann, Guidance Counselor email@example.com
GETTING INVOLVED AND STAYING CONNECTED WITH TAMANEND
Parent Volunteers Needed for the Freshman Dance
Parent volunteers are needed for the Freshman Dance. Although the dance is for 9th Graders, parents of students in all grades are welcome to help. If you are interested in volunteering, please use the link below:
Please Consider Volunteering at Tamanend Middle School
Reminder--Volunteer Required Paperwork
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. If you are planning on being in a Central Bucks school during the 2018-2019 school year for any reason, you will need to go to Volunteer Required Paperwork, and complete what is needed to obtain your Photo Volunteer ID Card. You will need that ID Card and a photo ID to enter a CB school.
Reminder--Support Tamanend While You Shop
If you use the following vendors, please think about supporting TMS while you shop:
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card that gives money to the school you designate every time you shop. Use this link to select Tamanend as your A+ school after August 15th of the new school year.
- Clip and send in Box Tops to the attention of NJHS.
Share Good News About Tamanend Students
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website)
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: firstname.lastname@example.org
Oficina: (267) 893-2900