Mill Street Elementary
August 3, 2022
Dear Mustang Families,
We are so excited to start this "World Tour 2022-2023" and Blaze a Trail to Greatness this school year. We are looking forward to welcoming everyone back on our first day of school Wednesday, August 10th.
SAVE THE DATE for MEET THE TEACHER!
Meet the Teacher is on Monday, August 8th from 5:30 - 6:30. This is a come-and-go event to drop off school supplies and meet the teacher. PTA is bringing the Kona Ice truck here from 5:30 - 7:00 pm, where you can purchase an icy treat.
WHO IS MY TEACHER?
Take a look in Skyward on Friday, August 5th, to see who your child's teacher is for this year and start getting those school supplies ready! All supplies ordered at the end of the school year from EPI will be delivered to the classroom. There is a very limited number of extra supply kits for sale from EPI. Please email (check on this)
Here are the school supply lists:
- Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd
- 3rd, 4th, and 5th
We do have a very limited supply of EPI kits for sale in the office. They will be first come, first serve.
BEGINNING our 2022-23 SCHOOL YEAR start dates/times
Our first day of school is Wednesday, August 10th!!
Here are some important facts to help you and your child have a wonderfully successful year:
- Arrival is from 7:15 to 7:40
- Class STARTS at 7:45. Arriving at 7:45 is considered late, so your child needs to be dropped off by 7:40 at the latest to be able to walk to class, unpack and be in their seat!
- Breakfast is served from 7:15 to 7:40. We want all of our students to have a good start to their day and not have to rush through breakfast.
- Dismissal is 3:00 pm
- Remember---Traffic is usually a little heavier during this first week of school, so please plan to leave a little earlier for school. Wouldn't it be great to have the 1st day of school with NO Tardies and 100% attendance?!?! :-)
FIRST Day Arrival and Important Safety Changes
Patience, Practice, and Safety make for a great start to our 2022-23 in regards to some NEW procedures beginning the first day of school. Please read the following to help us make sure we doing all we can to provide our children with the safest and most nurturing school environment possible:
- Only Pre-K and Kindergarten parents will be allowed to walk their child to class on the first day of school. We will have photo opportunities set up outside and staff to help your student find their class. We ask that Kindergarten parents enter the Kindergarten door at 7:45 and Pre-K parents come at 8:00. Your teacher will be able to greet you and take a picture before starting the day. We ask that parents exit the same door. On the first day only, Kindergarten will have breakfast after the parents leave at 8:00 am.
- All K-5 students walkers or car riders will use the front door entrance and Pre-K uses the kindergarten entrance.
- For dismissal,
- Pre_k will be loaded in cars at Pre-K door on High School road side of the street. K-5 car riders will be picked up at the Front Loop. Walkers are picked up by the Gym door entrance. All pickups require a Car Tag.
- All exterior doors will remain locked during our instructional day. A staff member will be present to hold a door open for children to enter through the main front entrance for car riders and walkers. Bus riders will enter through the cafeteria door in the morning with a staff member there to allow them to enter there.
Save the Date for Parent Orientations!
August 18th 5:30 and 6:00.
You will only need to attend one of the meetings.
Arrival and Dismissal Procedures
The school opens at 7:15 am. Please do not drop off your student prior to that as your student will not be supervised. Arrival is 7:15 to 7:40 in the front. After 7:45 am your student is tardy and you will have to walk them in to the office to get a tardy pass.
First Day walk-in:
PK and Kindergarten parents can walk their students to class to drop materials/meet the teacher on the first day. Parents may not enter after the first day. Be sure to not park in the fire lane or front loop for drop-off for car riders.
Please keep the car line single file, entering from Purnell street (illegal to turn left) and exiting on High School Street. All students K-5 will enter the front doors. PreK will go in their doors to their room.
All students K-5 will go to the cafeteria first to eat breakfast and then go to the classroom/collaboration areas by 7:40. Be sure they get here early enough to have a full breakfast!
Dismissal: Will need Car Rider Tag to pick up students
Make sure your student's teacher knows how your student is going home the first day and their normal schedule. If picking up your K-5 student, remain in your car in 1 line entering from Purnell Street, exiting High School with your Car Rider tag on the display.
If picking up a PreK student, from line to the left around the outside of the parking area to the south side of the school for pickup. If you do not have your car rider tag, you will need to park and come into the office.
Walker pickup will be greeted at the north door with their Car Rider tag.
Any changes to pick-up need to be communicated to the office by 1:30.
All classroom teachers have Canvas (SeeSaw for PreK) and ClassDojo. Be sure to connect with us!
If you are checking a student out early during the normal school day, you will continue to use your ID, not the car rider tag.
SCHOOL MEAL RATES FOR THIS YEAR
The Meal Rates for the 2022- 2023 School Year are:
Parents, be aware that lunches are no longer free. Please fill out your Back to School Forms, including the one related to free/reduced meals. This helps us accurately account for the needs of our students and helps campus funding for this.
Elementary Paid Lunches: $2.85
Elementary Reduced Lunches: $0.40
Secondary Paid Lunches: $3.10
Secondary Reduced Lunches: $0.40
Visitor/ Adult Breakfast: $4.20
These are posted online at https://www.lisd.net/Page/25264
Please let me know if you have any questions about this information.
Time to COMPLETE your yearly Online Forms Packet in SKYWARD!
Don't forget to log in to Skyward and complete the 2022-2023 Forms Packet for this school year!
- 4th and 5th gr. parents need to take care of the IPAD fee portion asap because their iPads will be disabled a few weeks after school starts if not done and paid, so don't delay!
- Breakfast and lunch will NOT be universally free to students for the 2022-2023 school year. Parents will need to apply for Free and Reduced lunch through the application on Step 11 of the forms packet.
- Also, please fill out the Voly application that is also in Step 11 of the forms packet so that you are cleared to help with parties, events, and volunteer in the building and/or classrooms.
Connect, Communicate and Culture
Dr. Rapp's 3 C's and seeking parents to be on our Mill Street BLT
- Dr. Rapp, LISD Superintendent, has a focus on Community Engagement with proactive and positive communication as the foundation for her 3 C's. As a campus, Mill Street prides itself on our relationships with parents. We actively seek ways to improve how we Connect and Communicate with our families to build that Culture of Caring and Learning.
- Parent Invitation: Mill Street's Building Leadership Team (BLT) is seeking a few parent volunteers to serve on this committee that is dedicated to improving the campus climate, culture, and academic success for all our students. Please email Mrs. Bailey, Principal, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would be interested in serving or would like to continue serving on our BLT! I will send calendar invites to our first of 4 meetings or late August/early September very soon!
Enjoy your last few weeks of summer and I look forward to seeing you soon!
La escuela abre a las 7:15 a.m. Por favor, no deje a los estudiantes antes de esta hora ya que no serán supervisados. Puede dejar a los estudiantes en la entrada principal desde las 7:15 a.m. hasta las 7:40 a.m. Después de las 7:45 a.m., su(s) estudiante(s) estará(n) tardes y usted tendrá que caminar con ellos hasta la recepción.
Uno de los padres podrá caminar con su(s) estudiante(s) para entregar los útiles y/o conocer a la maestra(o). Luego caminarán con los estudiantes a la cafetería. Luego del primer día, los padres no podrán entrar. Asegúrese de no estacionar en el carril para bomberos ni en la fila de la entrada principal para dejar a los estudiantes que llegan en carro.
Padres de pre-kinder y kinder están invitados a "Cheers and Tears" para que conozcan y saluden a los miembros de la Asociación de Padres y Maestros (PTA) en la biblioteca.
Por favor, mantenga una sola fila de carros, entrando por la calle Purnell (es ilegal girar a la izquierda) y saliendo por la calle High School. Todos los estudiantes K-5 entrarán por la puerta principal. Los estudiantes de pre-kinder entrarán por la puerta de pre-kinder.
Todos los estudiantes de K-5 irán a la cafetería primero a desayunar y luego irán al salón de clases a las 7:40 a.m. ¡Asegúrese de que lleguen lo suficientemente temprano para tener un desayuno completo!
Asegúrese de que la maestra(o) de su estudiante sepa cómo su estudiante se va a casa el primer día y normalmente. Si va a recoger a su estudiante de K-5, permanezca en su carro en una sóla fila entrando por la calle Purnell y saliendo por la calle High School mostrando la etiqueta que muestra el número de carro de su(s) estudiante(s).
Si va a recoger a un estudiante de pre-kinder, sálgase de la fila a la izquierda alrededor del área de estacionamiento hacia el lado sur de la escuela para recogerlos en la puerta de pre-kinder.
Si no tiene su etiqueta con el número de carro, deberá estacionarse y pasar a la oficina.
Los estudiantes que se van a casa caminando saldrán por la puerta norte (calle Purnell). Asegúrese de recogerlos por esa. entrada con su etiqueta de número de carro de su estudiante.
Todos los maestros usan Canvas o SeeSaw y ClassDojo para comunicarse, ¡asegúrese de conectarse con nosotros!
¡Espero verlos a todos temprano mañana!
Mill Street Elementary
MSE Mission Statement
As a Mill Street family, we are committed to building relationships in a learning environment, celebrating diversity, and growing as leaders.
PK- 5th grade
Programs and Opportunities
•The Leader in Me
•School-wide Student Leadership Roles
•Dual Language Program (K - 5, Bilingual PreK)
•Communities in Schools
•Title 1 Intervention Support
• Parent-Teacher Association
Looking for to a great adventure on our World Tour 2022-2023
Blazing a Trail to Greatness