Supporting those Serving Students with Complex Needs
Updated last on Sept. 24, 2021 at 12:10 pm
STANDARDS-BASED IEP PROCESS TRAINING!!!
Click a date to register! There are 2 date options. CHOOSE ONLY ONE
CAN Training Opportunities for SY 2021-2022:
Oct 20 We CAN Communicate: Core Vocabulary and Teaching Strategies
Nov 10 CAN PLC - Topic: IEP Quality & Rigor
South C, 9a-4p
Nov 17 STAAR Alt 2 Training for DTC & CTC (101, Updates, Key Dates)
South C, 9a-12p
Dec 8 STAAR Alt 2: Before, During & After the Assessment (a TxCAN course)
South A, 9a-12p
Jan 12 CAN PLC - Topic: We CAN Read
South C, 9a-4p
Mar 1 STAAR Alt 2 Late-Breaking Updates & Overview
South F, 9a-12p
Mar 9 CAN PLC - Topic: Beyond Time & Money
South C, 9a-4p
May 11 CAN PLC - Topic: Building Authentic Academic Responses
South C, 9a-4p
- Check out the Region 17 CAN Resources web page to find vetted CAN resources!
- Texas Complex Access Network (TxCAN) - our statewide leadership website with evidence-based resources for those serving students with complex needs
- Technical Assistance from TEA: IEP Development
This document was developed to provide technical assistance to local education agencies and parents.
CAN Connection CONTENTS
- linked CAN resources
- materials & tools
- service delivery information
- ways to connect with Deanne for support
- online training opportunities
2. CAN RESOURCES
Note: bold print has quirks so something not in bold is not more or less important
- Active Learning at Home - Ideas for activities with students with multiple disabilities.
- Best Hands-On Activities for Families (Teacher-Approved)
- Didax Free Virtual Math Manipulatives to help build understanding
- Digital Resources by Subject for Schools and Parents from the Texas Regional ESCs
Reading Language Arts
- Ed Puzzle - Make any video your lesson! Choose a video, give it your magic touch, and track comprehension.
- Google Extensions to Support You & Online Teaching: Includes 'How-To" Videos
- Home-Based Activities for Children with Cortical Visual Impairment/TBI
- How to Create Digital, Interactive Schedules for Students A Short How-To Video
- Lakeshore Learning FREE At-Home Educational Resources
- LID Online Curriculum Resources for students with complex access needs
- LID Online Learning for students with complex access needs
- Monthly Instructional Guides from TxCAN - what to do & when to do it... Check it out!
- Online Activities for Learning Search Tool for Apps, Ideas, & more
- PBS Learning Media - FREE, standards-aligned videos, interactives, lesson plans, more
- Regional ESC Resources at-a-glance
- SPEDTex - Special Education Information Center
- Tar Heel Reader - a collection of free, easy-to-read, and accessible books on a wide range of topics. Each book can be speech enabled and accessed using multiple interfaces, including touch screens, the IntelliKeys with custom overlays, and 1 to 3 switches.
- Teaching Books – extensive list of books read aloud, activities
- Texas Gateway - online resources
- Visual Schedule: Need an online visual schedule? Here is the template!
Here is the video instruction!
3. Instructional Materials & Tools
Should you realize during this journey that specific instructional materials or tools are needed for distance instruction, please email me to begin the conversation. If you know specifically what you need, include the product name, a link where the product is available for purchase, and your intended use for the product.
I am able to order products for supporting you, as budget allows.
4. SERVICE DELIVERY
Click here - Recent TEA Guidance - then click on "Most Recent TEA COVID-19 and Special Education Q&A" near the top of the web page.
A new document will open with TEA Q&A that addresses service delivery options and many other topics. I suggest that you bookmark the Recent TEA Guidance web page to always access the most current TEA Q&A document each time it is needed.
Region 17 ESC provides no additional service delivery information.
Please contact your Special Education Director for district-specific directives if you have concerns or questions about service delivery during this time of quarantine.
Remote Learning Guidance from TEA, FAQ for Supporting Students with Complex Needs was finalized on April 9, 2020. Click here.
6. Online Training Opportunities
- Teaching Literacy to Students with Significant Cognitive Disabilities - free online course
- Working with Exceptional Students during Covid-19 - series of videos under 10m each