Nuclear Weapons in the World
By: Joe Erario
Why nukes are a bad thing in our world today?
- Nuclear weapons are not like conventional weapons which do the most damage a direct impact. Nuclear weapons can continue to do harm long after their dropped.
- Nuclear weapons are horrible for the enviroment. The area in which a nuke was dropped could remain inhaptable for weeks or even years.
- Nuclear weapons pose argueably the greatest single threat towards humanity.
Harmful effects of nuclear weapons on humans and the enviroment
- Exposure to nuclear fallout and radiation causes nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, hair loss and death of blood cells.
- Long term effects of raditation exposure have been linked to cancer and other diseases.
- A full out nuclear war is predicted to cause a nuclear winter by creating a cloud of debris so large that it would block out the sun and cause mass extinction.
List of countries with a significant amount of nuclear weapons
United States-2,104 active nukes, 7,315 total
Russia-1,600 active nukes, 8,000 total
United Kingdom-160 active nukes, 225 total
France-290 active nukes, 300 total
China no known active nukes with 250 total
How can we end the threat of nuclear weapons?
- We have to support programs and deals the US already has with countries like Russia to disarm nuclear weapons and greatly reduce their arsonal.
- Spread the word of how nuclear weapons are not really needed in todays world and that they do way more harm than good.
- Try to vote for political officals that support peace in the world and might have already talked about their position on nuclear weapons.