by: Lillie Smith
- Andrew Johnson was the 17th U.S president assumed office after the assassination of Abraham Lincoln.
- Johnson served from 1865-1869. He was the first president to be impeached.
- After Lincoln was murdered Johnson restored the South to the Union and clashed with Radical Republicans.
- Republicans nullified Johnson's Presidential Reconstruction plan.
- Stevens was a member of the United States House of Representatives.
- He served as a chairman of the joint committee on Reconstruction.
- Stevens was also instrumental in the Congressional Reconstruction plan to place the South under military occupation.
- 15th Amendment granted African-American men the right to vote.
- This was the 3rd and last Reconstruction Amendment.
- By 1869 amendment had been passed to abolish slavery and provide equal protection under the law.