January 7, 2022
Brookwood Elementary Counselor Corner
Happy New Year! Here at BES, we have placed a heavy focus on Social Emotional Learning (SEL) this year. Social-Emotional learning is vital for students because it teaches them crucial life skills, including the ability to understand themselves, develop a positive self-image, take responsibility for their actions, and forge relationships with the people around them.
We wanted to provide the opportunity to extend the learning conversation at home. Our SEL topic for January is Growth Mindset. In the classrooms, we will be busy learning about what Growth Mindset means and how we can use Growth Mindset paired with hard work and perseverance to achieve anything we put our minds to. Below are some opportunities that you can help your child continue to learn about Growth Mindset. We look forward to exploring this at school, and we hope your family will enjoy it just as much!
Angel Cunningham (K-2) & LaKendra Todd-Collins (3-5)
READ ABOUT IT!
Here are some books to help learn more about Growth Mindset:
- Your Fantastic Elastic Brain by JoAnn Deak
- Beautiful Oops! By Barney Saltzberg
- After The Fall by Dan Santat
- The Dot by Peter Reynolds
Together with your child, talk about encouraging messages that you can say to yourself when something is challenging. Write these messages down on sticky notes or notecards, and place them where your child will see them, such as a mirror, their school folder, in their lunchbox, etc.
TALK ABOUT IT!
Here are some discussion points to help you talk about growth mindset with your child:
- What is a growth mindset and why do you think it’s important?
- What do you do when something is challenging for you?
- What is something that you want to get better at? What steps can you take to get better at it? How can I help you?
- Are you afraid of making mistakes? Why or why not?
- What is something you can tell yourself if something is challenging for you or if you have made a mistake?
Brookwood Elementary Health Update
We have the following strategies in place to assist in protecting our staff and students during this time.
- Parent meetings (conferences, IEP meetings, Student Support Team meetings, etc) will take place via Zoom.
- The number of students in the cafeteria at one time will be reduced. This will require some grade levels to eat in their classrooms on a rotating schedule.
- Masks are required for all students and staff during community transition rates of Substantial/High. At this time, masks are required. Students without masks will be given a disposable mask to wear.
- Clean and disinfect regularly throughout the school with EPA-approved disinfectants.
- Encourage students and staff to wash hands often.
- Encourage students and staff to stay home when they are sick.
- Complete this form if you have concerns about device access in the event of a Digital Learning Day and need to check out a Chromebook from Brookwood Elementary.
A MESSAGE FROM The BES HEALTH RESPONSE TEAM
Did you know that Brookwood ES has a Health Response Team (HRT) which manages and communicates COVID related information with staff, students and parents? The HRT gathers information, conducts contact investigations and communicates as needed. In the next few months, it is important that you continue to alert the school if your child develops symptoms or tests positive for the virus.
Common symptoms include:
Fever (100.4 or higher), Cough, Shortness of breath, muscle/body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, congestion/runny nose, nausea/vomiting, sore throat, fatigue
Brookwood ES HRT Members:
Brookwood ES: 770-736-4360
Brooke Ahlers: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bridget Fagan: email@example.com
Tiffany Pruitt: firstname.lastname@example.org
Debbie Taylor: email@example.com
Join the BES Custodial Team!
Bidding for Good
- Lunch with the Principal (1 of 2) - auction ends Jan. 14, 2022
- Lunch with the Principal (2 of 2) - auction ends Jan. 14, 2022
- Morning Announcements with the Principal for a Week - auction ends Feb. 4, 2022
Tuesday, January 25TH IS A DIGITAL LEARNING DAY
On January 25th, GCPS will have a digital learning day for ALL students. We are grateful for the opportunity to have this day to allow to allow teachers to to allow teachers to plan future lessons.
On this Digital Learning Day:
- Students can find all their lessons and assignments on eCLASS, but there will be no live instruction. Please view the video below for directions on how to get to your teacher's eCLASS page.
All students will complete their special area class digitally. More information is on the Brookwood ES homepage.
Yearbook Pre-Orders End on February 4th
Place your order now through February 4th to purchase this year's yearbook for the low price for $38.00. (Credit card installment plan is available.)
Join the BES Team for Run the Reagan
Race proceeds will also go to benefit the The Southeast Gwinnett Cooperative Ministry, The Lilburn Cooperative Ministry, and The Brookwood Schools Foundation.
Join the BES Relay for Life Team!
Sign up for Amazon Smile
Support PTA with Kroger Rewards
From the Community
Gwinnett County School Night at the Atlanta Hawks
Join the Atlanta Hawks for Gwinnett County Schools Night at State Farm Arena as the Atlanta Hawks take on the San Antonio Spurs. Each ticket includes $10 worth of food and beverage credit. A portion from each ticket purchased through this offer will benefit the Gwinnett County Public Schools Foundation. Tickets can be purchased through this link.