"Just" for CMS
Week of 1/18/16
It's another CRAZY Week
But speaking of benchmarks, I'm hoping you will share a few things with your students prior to them taking the tests.
- They are important for a couple of reasons. Not only do they count for the semester exam grade, but the scores will also be used to set up tutorial groups for the upcoming STAAR tests. We know that students will not know everything on the test, and that's ok. We won't grade the questions if the objectives haven't been covered yet. We give the entire test because it helps us to know just what students know.
- I'm pretty sure students will be mentally worn out. Unfortunately, the STAAR test really tests their stamina with test taking. Another reason we give the benchmark is to give students an idea of what the real test will be like.
- Please know that I, like many of you, have concerns and issues with benchmark and STAAR testing. Unfortunately, it's part of the requirements set forth by TEA. AT CMS and all CISD campuses, we strive to prepare our students for not only the STAAR test, but for real life after they graduate. The STAAR test is just one of the things we have to contend with. If you have concerns about benchmarking or the STAAR exam itself, please call or email me. I'm glad to meet with you.
UIl Results...........are coming
I do want you to know this. Our (YOUR) CMS students were amazing. Whether they placed or didn't, they behaved wonderfully. As they day was winding down, CMS students were the ONLY group of students that were in the Caddo Mills cafe picking up trash, cleaning off tables, etc. So whether we end up in first place or last place, CMS kids are the best. The way that they behaved and looked is 2nd to none. Nothing makes me more proud.
7th Grade Perot Trip
Schedule for the Week
- MLK Holiday - No school
- 8:15 Start Benchmark - 6, 7 and 8 Math. 8 ALGEBRA ONLY TAKING READING
- AFTER Testing - Periods 1, 5 and 7 for non STAAR test final exams
- 5pm - HS Boys and Girls basketball @ Farmersville
- 7pm - CISD Board of Trustees Meeting at Central Office
- 8:15 - Benchmark Start - 6, 7 and 8 Reading. 8 ALGEBRA ONLY TAKE Algebra
- AFTER Testing - Periods 2, 4 and 6 for non STAAR test subject Semester exams
- Spirit Day
- DEADLINE FOR PAYMENT FOR 7TH GRADE PEROT TRIP
- 8:15 Benchmark Start (begin PM benchmark when students finish AM) - 7th Writing and 8th Science)
- 12:30 - Benchmark Start - 8th grade SS (and 6th and 7th grade (science) Semester Exams)
- 2:45 - Girls' basketball to Leonard
- 4:30 - Boys' basketball @ home vs. Leonard
- Inservice Day - Staff Development Day - Students enjoy your day off.
- HS Boys' and Girls' basketball @ home (JV boys play at CMS)
UPCOMING - Monday, 1/25 - 7th graders to Perot Museum in Dallas
CISD Health and Safety Fair
Tuesday, Feb. 9th, 5:30-7pm
Commerce High School
Tuesday, Feb 9th
5:30 – 7:00
Sponsored by the School Health Advisory Council
At CHS Cafeteria
Everyone is Invited
Emergency vehicles on display
(including a girls and boys bicycle!)