Ms. Wertheim's Little Leaders
News and Resources from Room 203: Week of February 15
What we're learning about this week 📚
- Reading- We are using illustrations to understand characters' emotions and motivations.
- Writing- We are continuing opinion writing and will be using reasons and examples to support opinions. They are writing about their favorite food.
- Math- We are identifying the attributes of polygons and quadrilaterals, including sides, angles, and vertices. We will also being doing a fun math art project creating cityscapes inspired by the art of Paul Klee.
- FUNdations- We are continuing Unit 10, which focuses on the vowel teams ai (bait) and ay (play). For more info, please read the letter attached to their Fundations homework or visit the Fundations page on my blog: http://mswertheim.blogspot.com/p/reading.html .
- Science- We will continue learning about sound via Dr. Bob Moog's Sound School
- Social Studies- We are learning about how different cultures impact communities. On Tuesday, we will be taking a virtual Google Earth field trip to Mexico.
Snapshots of Learning from last week ✏️
Important Dates and Reminders: Mark your Calendars 📌
Thu., Feb. 18th: Family Voices/Community Outreach Night at the Montford Center
Fri., Feb. 19th: Regular school day (snow make-up)
Mon, Feb. 22: No school (teacher workday)
Thu., Feb. 25th: Tea & Talk with the Superintendent for Claxton Families 7:30-9 a.m.
Tue., Mar. 1st: PTO Meeting 6 pmat the Grant Center
Fri., Mar. 11th: Early Release,PTO provides lunch for staff
Tue., Mar. 15th - Chicken Dinner & Math Carnival
Fri., Mar. 18th - 6 pm Light the NIght Auction at THE YMI CULTURAL CENTER- DOWNTOWN AVL
Sat., Mar. 19th: Spring Grounds Work Day: Parents are welcome to volunteer to help
Thurs., Mar. 24th: Family Voices/Community Outreach - Grant Center, 5:30-7:00pm
Mon., Mar. 28th - Fri., Apr. 1: Spring Break
Wish List 🌟
- Snack (healthy options please) Pre-packaged snacks such as fruit snacks or granola bars are so helpful to pass out snack quickly :)
- White and colored card stock
Positive Quote of the Week
Class Dojo, Behavior Assessments, and Homework 📓
Behavior assessments are filled out each day by your child. I am so proud of their self-reflection skills! They've done an excellent job with their self-assessments so far. Please be sure to discuss their achievements with them and sign the assessment each evening.
Homework this week consists of:
- Read each night for 20 minutes and fill out reading log/Bingo board
- Math packet (due Friday)
We will begin reading responses next week.