Blue Valley Northwest
Principal's Newsletter - May 13, 2022
In this Newsletter . . .
- Message from Dr. Amy Pressly
- School events taking place between now & end of the year
- Calendar and other important schedules
Husky Showcase is tonight!
- Immunization alert for incoming 11th grade students
Pickup finals survival kits May 17, 18, 19
Order spirit wear May 13 to May 24th
- Counseling updates - Summer credit recovery | BVNW Canvas Page | Future planning information for Juniors | Seniors - new information for after graduation | College resources: JCCC career discovery workshops; transcripts | SAT/ACT info | Parent Resources from BV presenters
- PBC News - Spirit wear | Save the Dates
- Stay up to date with official student media!
Message from Dr. Pressly
Dear BVNW Community,
The building felt different today without our 421 seniors here for classes. Mother Nature tried to rain on the senior yearbook distribution and picnic but our amazing seniors made the best of it and moved inside for the event. It was so heartwarming to see them all together, listening to music, signing yearbooks and just enjoying each other’s company. Other than Class Day and Graduation next week, this is the last time they will all be together as a class.
It’s hard to believe that we have less than a week of classes before finals begin for our underclassmen. Our students and staff are working hard during these last few days before we close the books on this school year. Just a reminder that if your student is going to miss a final exam or exams, you need to email me so that we can provide the form for your student to have their teachers sign.
Last weekend our music groups participated in the state level solo and ensemble competition. Those involved did an outstanding job of representing BVNW. I am always so amazed at our talented students. Congratulations to our band, choir and orchestra students for their outstanding finishes at state.
Speaking of State, our BVNW journalism staff grabbed the 6A state championship title for a second year in a row! In addition to the state title, many of the staff earned individual recognition as well. Today, the yearbook staff got the opportunity to share the 2021-2022 edition of the their publication. They are very proud of the publication and hear many positive comments from their peers.
Just quick reminder about the upcoming final exam schedules:
Monday: Hours 5 and 7
Tuesday: Hours 4 and 6
Wednesday: Hours 1 and 3
Thursday: Hour 2, graduation practice right after last final
Thursday: Hours 2 and 6
Monday: Hours 3, 4 and 5
Tuesday: Hours 1 and 7
Have a great weekend!
Dr. Amy Pressly
School events taking place between now & end of the year
(This list does not include special events or end-of-year events for clubs, activities, co-curriculars or athletics. Those specific dates will be provided by the specific organization.)
DOWNLOAD Other Important Schedules
Upcoming Key Calendar events
| || || |
Immunization alert for incoming 11th grade students
Attention current 10th grade parents: Please check your mail in the upcoming weeks for a letter from the nurse. Incoming 11th graders must have required immunizations – you will be notified if your student needs updated shots.
Reach out to the nurse via email at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Pickup date for Finals Survival Kits is May 17, 18, 19
Order spirit wear May 13 to May 24th
Counseling News - May 13
Summer Credit Recovery
If your student has failed a graduation required course and are considering summer credit recovery, please contact your student’s counselor for options.
Lauren Crouch Counselor A-Da
Beth Ricke Counselor Db-Hp
Nancy Hadley Counselor Hq-Mi
Stephanie Keller Counselor Mj-Se
Kim Goldsmith Counselor Sf-Z
BVNW Canvas Page
Visit the BVNW Counseling page for many great resources by grade levels - here
Future planning information for Juniors
We have created a junior year video answering common questions we receive and a checklist for you to review. Most of the information included in these two resources are related to preparing for college. If you are not planning to attend college, please review the checklist for directions on how to access your graduation status and utilize the career exploration tools listed. If you have additional questions after working through the checklist items and watching the short video, contact your counselor. This information was also sent to juniors through Canvas and parent/guardian email this week.
Seniors- New information for after graduation
- Transferring College Credits: Did you take a class for college credit through Baker U or JCCC? You will need to have your official transcript sent from those schools to get those credits transferred to your new university. To request Baker transcript requests click here. For JCCC transcript requests click here. (if you are currently taking a college now course through JCCC wait until June 1 to make your request)
- College Orientation Tips: If you took classes for college credit, your orientation appointment may arrive before your college transcript does. Just to be safe, log into your my JCCC account & print your course history or print a copy of your completed credits through Baker U and take that unofficial print out with you. It will not be enough for the college to issue your credits, but it will help your academic advisor know what courses you will not need to take when you get there.
- Final Transcripts: You will confirm in your senior survey in Naviance of where BVNW will send your final transcript. Make sure you have completed this survey! Colleges will not receive your transcript until mid-June. They are aware of this timeline with high schools! Calling the BVNW office after graduation, will not change the timeframe in which they are sent.
- Want to be thoroughly informed on the college application/search process? Subscribe to The College Solution blog and newsletter for helpful information!
- Transcripts – Click here for instructions on how to request transcripts.
- Unofficial transcripts- Parent or Student Vue, “Course history”; unofficial transcript option in graduation status.
Parent resources from BV presenters:
- Celebrate calm – Stop the power struggles. www.celebratecalm.com Great Podcasts!
- Your Teen for Parents Magazine resource
- BOLD Parenting with Jason Bohn – Free video access and webinar
- Technology and teens
- SECURLYHOME PARENT PORTAL APP
While district devices are filtered 24/7, we understand that what each family feels their child should be able to access on district devices outside of the school day is different from household to household. Through the SecurlyHome Parent Portal app, families can supervise their child’s technology use on district devices outside of the school day.
Parent Booster Club News - May 13
The Spirit wear shop is OPEN! Here is a great opportunity to stock up on BVNW gear before the start of school this fall. The store will close on May 24th and all items will be shipped home.
If you have any questions please contact Meg Godderz at email@example.com. GO DAWGS!
SAVE THE DATES:
May 20th - Class Day and Senior Awards Ceremony
May 22nd – Commencement Class of 2022
As always, I am humbled to serve, grateful for you all and honored to be the President of the Parent Booster Club here at Blue Valley Northwest!
“Individually we are one drop but together we are an Ocean!” We are: #OneNW!
Proud PBC President
Stay up to date with official student media!
BVNW Inclusion Statement:
Blue Valley Northwest values every individual and the diversity they bring to our community. Everyone shall be treated fairly in language and in action without regard to race, religion, national origin, financial status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability. We, students, parents and staff will hold each other accountable to this mission.