Blue Valley North's Parent Newsletter - April 29, 2022
In this Newsletter …
- A Letter from Your Principal
- Gridiron Club Fundraiser - 5/7
- Finals Care Packages
- Kudos & Celebrations
Ability Showcase - 4/29
BVN Spring Play Puffs - 4/29-30
Athletic Signing Ceremony - 5/4
Guide to 4th Quarter
BVN Bell Schedules
Mark Your Calendar
Spring Activity Guide
Durham Bus Information
A Letter from Your Principal
The rankings are in and Blue Valley North is the #2 high school in Kansas according to U.S. News and World Reports! Key ranking metrics of college readiness & state assessment performance speak to the district’s commitment to life readiness for all students. Blue Valley is the only district in Kansas to have more than one high school, let alone all high schools, ranked in the top 10. Way to go, Mustangs!
It is hard to imagine but we are only three weeks away until final exams. This next month has a great deal of celebrations for our Seniors and all of the accomplishments for the Class of 2022. Regardless of grade level, it is extremely important that we finish strong. I would encourage you to ask your student how they are using their Academic Support Time on Tuesdays and Thursdays as well as Friday NorthTime. These are all excellent opportunities for students to get things accomplished in their classes and to meet with their teachers. These last three weeks of the semester are very important and it is our intention that our students use these opportunities to put themselves in the best possible position in their classes.
Thank you for your continued support and I am looking forward to all of our fun May celebrations as we head to Graduation 2022!
BVN Gridiron Club Fundraiser - May 7 (new)
Who's ready for the football season? Meet the 2022-23 Mustang Coaching Staff at the annual BVN Gridiron Club Cinco de Mayo Fiesta Fundraiser on Saturday, May 7th. Come win prizes, purchase your cowbells and learn help the GIC prepare for next year's football season!
When: Saturday, May 7th, 6:00 p.m. -10:00 p.m.
Where: 13206 Walmer St. 66209
Home of Doug & Tina May
Order tickets here: https://www.bvngic.com
Thanks for your support!
Finals Care Package - order deadline May 11 (new)
Is your teen stressed about Finals Week? Senior finals are scheduled to start on Monday, May 16th, and underclass finals begin on Thursday, May 19th, which is soon! Please purchase a Finals Care Package for your teen or yourself at the school store, The Stampede, or online at https://bvn-stampede.square.site/s/shop for only $10. It has all sorts of good treats to help get through Finals Week. Good Luck!
This is an image similar to what students will receive:
Exact items are subject to change, but students will receive a drink, a few treats, a couple school supplies, a sticker, a fidget and an encouraging note. Sales end on Wednesday, May 11th, and will be delivered no later than Monday, May 16th! This fundraiser is brought to you by and benefits the Blue Valley North Class of 2025. Thanks for your support!
Kudos and Celebrations
Boys Varsity Tennis Team (new)
The BVN Varsity Tennis Team has had an amazing season so far this year defeating Blue Valley Northwest, Bishop Miege, and Blue Valley West. Some of the other highlights include:
The Varsity Team winning first place at the Shawnee Mission Quad!
Matthew Crossland, Tanner Summers, Zachary Amsterdam, Luke Chen, Asher Kort, CJ Smith, and Aneesh Vasamreddy made up the team who finished in second place of 20 teams at the Olathe South Tournament. CJ Smith finished in second place for singles and Matthew Crossland and Zachary Amsterdam placed first in doubles.
Last weekend, the team also finished second of 16 teams at the Wichita Collegiate Tournament. Varsity team members who competed included Eli Amsterdam, Matthew Crossland, Tanner Summers, Zachary Amsterdam, Asher Kort, and CJ Smith. CJ Smith battled his way to a second place finish for singles and Matthew Crossland and Tanner Summers finished in second place for doubles. Congratulations to all!
BVN Girls Soccer Senior Night (new)
Please come cheer on your Varsity Girls' Soccer Team for Senior Night on Thursday, May 5th, at the Switzer District Activity Center (DAC). The Varsity Game starts at 6:30 p.m., but feel free to come early and support our JV Team who play at 4:30 p.m. We would love to see as many students as possible and greatly appreciate your support to make this night special for our seniors. Please reach out to Angie Harmon or Tiffany Siner, soccer parents, with any questions.
Girls' Swimming and Diving Team (new)
The BVN Girls Swim & Team is picking up the pace! The girls competed in 3 meets in 7 Days! We celebrated our seniors while hosting SM East in a dual meet last week that saw nearly 20 divers compete. While SME took the top 2 spots, Mustang divers nailed down the next 6 places. We have seen our divers continue to grow and improve.
The Mustang swimmers continued their improvement and charged ahead of SME with a resounding victory 111 - 87.
The second meet, the team competed in, was the SM District Invitational which featured many of the state’s best teams. Caroline Blake led the way with two first places finishes in the 50 and 100 freestyles and the 400 Free Relay of Sarah Blake, Margo Hauser, Charlotte Barton, and Caroline Blake was victorious with a state's best time. By winning the 400 Free Relay earned a win by 4.5 points over SM East and 14 other teams.
Sadie Rosenthal - 200 IM, 100 Breast
Izzy Hadel - 50 Free, 100 Free, 200 Free
Sofia Campagnuolo - 50 Free
Siena Masillonis - 100 Back
Natalie Patterson - 100 Back
Katie Rees - 50 Free, 100 Fly
Maddi Stewart - 100 Back, 200 IM
Charlotte Barton - 100 Free, 200 Free
Abi Patterson - 100 Fly, 100 Breast
Natalie Patterson - 100 Free
Siena Masillonis - 50 Free
BV Ability Showcase - April 29
You are invited to the Blue Valley Ability Showcase on April 29th at Blue Valley West. This special event showcases individuals with special abilities and features a variety of performers and artists who are turning special needs into special talents! Please click here for details on this free opportunity.
Spring Play ~ April 29-30
Please join us for the BVN spring play, Puffs, April 29 – 30 at 7:00 p.m. in the Little Theater! Click on this ticket link to purchase tickets: https://bvnathletics.com/event-tickets .
This clever and inventive play never goes more than a minute without a laugh giving you a new look at a familiar adventure from the perspective of three potential heroes just trying to make it through a magic school that proves to be very dangerous for children. Alongside them are the Puffs, a group of well-meaning, loyal outsiders with a thing for badgers who are so lovable and relatable, you’ll leave the theater wishing they were in the stories all along. Their hilariously heartfelt and epic journey takes the classic story to new places and reimagines what a boy wizard hero can be. Hope you can join us!
Blue Valley North Athletic Signing Ceremony - May 4, 2022
Does your student plan to play their sport at the collegiate level next year? We would like to congratulate and celebrate them in a signing ceremony at 3:00 p.m. in the BVN Commons on Wednesday, May 4. Cake and water will be provided by The Mustang Club. Please contact Teresa Anderson, BVN Athletic Administrative Assistant, by phone: 913-239-3011 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Information will be sent to you about the ceremony. Thank you!
Blue Valley North's Guide to Fourth Quarter 2022
Counseling, Academics & Testing
Click Here For BVN's Counseling Webpage for information about:
- Virtual summer school will continue to take enrollment for credit recovery courses (class was taken previously and failed) through June 3rd. Register through Parentvue. For non-credit recovery classes, enrollment is on a space availability basis. Email Robert Asquith at email@example.com to check on availability. See more information here - https://www.bluevalleyk12.org/summerprograms
- In-person credit recovery summer classes are available. Contact your counselor for more information.
- Seniors must complete their senior exit survey prior to Class Day on May 20th. Survey instructions can be found here - https://bvusd.instructure.com/courses/76177/pages/naviance-12th-grade
- 2022-23 Enrollment: If your incoming Freshman is not a current Blue Valley 8th grade student, please contact Sarah King, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Senior scholarships can be found on Naviance Home page->College tab->Scholarship Search https://student.naviance.com/bluevalleynhs
- Check out School year and Summer Opportunities - Opportunities
- Juniors and Seniors can sign up to attend college admission rep visits to BVN - Naviance Home page->Colleges tab->College Visits https://student.naviance.com/bluevalleynhs
- Junior College Planning Information here - College and Career Planning
- Visit the Counseling Virtual Calming Room
- Visit the Counseling Home Page to find additional resources or contact information for Counselors and other Student Services staff.
Questions? Contact Sarah King @ (913)239-3016 or SKing@bluevalleyk12.org .
Senior Information for the Class of 2022
Save the date for 2022 Graduation: Sunday, May 22, at 7 p.m. at the District Activity Center, 13310 Switzer, Overland Park, Kansas 66213. Rain date is Wednesday, May 25 at 6 p.m. There are no tickets required and there is no limit on seating.
Senior Info page: Click HERE to access:
- A link to purchase the Senior Class Picture
- The schedule of Senior Final Exams
- Scholarship info
- Info about ordering your cap & gown--Seniors can check the list at Mrs. Miller's desk to confirm if they have/have not ordered yet.
- A link to authorize the release of your student's transcript for college applications
- Info about the Balfour shipping schedule
- A downloadable image of Senior Events (shown below)
One of the most anticipated events, aside from Graduation, is the Senior Celebration to be held on May 13th from 11:45 am to 3:00 pm on the BVN West Turf Field. It is the official Kick-off to Graduation activities, and is supported by the BVN Student Council, the Mustang Club and the Father's Club. There will be a live DJ, complimentary food trucks, inflatables, and snacks. Also, the yearbooks will be distributed at this event! Your Seniors will not want to miss it! We need your help to make it a success though. Please access this SignUpGenius below to support the Senior Celebration:
Questions? Contact BVN Activities: Lisa Miller @ email@example.com .
Seniors who attended Mission Trail Elementary ~ May 3 (new)
Please join us for our Senior Reunion Open House on Tuesday, May 3, from 3:45-4:15 p.m. in the MTE library. You can walk through the school, look at yearbooks, and visit with some of your favorite teachers! Refreshments will be served. We hope to see you!
Seniors who attended Overland Trail Elementary ~ May 11
Save the Date! Please join us for our Senior Reunion Open House on Wednesday, May 11th, from 4:00-4:45 p.m. in the OTE library. You can walk through the school, look at yearbooks, and visit with some of your favorite teachers! Refreshments will be served. We hope to see you!
Project Grad for Seniors
BVN Bell Schedules ~ North Time has returned on Fridays
When there are five days in the school week, the Bell Schedule will be Odd, Even, Odd, Even, Traditional Day. On Monday, Wednesday and Friday, school begins at 7:40 a.m. On Tuesday and Thursday, school begins at 8:25 a.m. (see below). If you want a copy for home, ask your student to stop by the BVN main office.
Thank you for teaming with Blue Valley North and continue to talk with your student and ask them how they spend their time during North Time on Fridays.
Mark Your Calendar for Blue Valley North's April and May 2022
The Mustang Club Spring Sports Spirit Wear -- Shop Now!
Fostering A Safe School Environment
Blue Valley Schools is committed to promoting and fostering a safe environment in and around all of our schools. Through the convergence of physical and intellectual security measures, we are continuously working to prevent, mitigate, respond to and recover from a wide range of emergencies. Please check out available ways to report safety concerns.
Are you moving? Have you moved?
Please contact the BVN Registrar, Suzy Doherty, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Please take a look through the BVN Mustang Club's Spring Activity Guide! Here is a link to the on-line edition: https://anyflip.com/qzkqi/gyhk/
This is a great way to see photos of the athletic teams, activities & performing arts students, find out more about their coaches and directors, and read a greeting from the BVN Principal & the Mustang Club Presidents. Please take time to see the advertisements from our corporate partners and give them your business whenever possible. We thank them for their support of the Mustang Club and our Blue Valley North students. Enjoy!
Medical Messages (updates)
Message to graduating 12th graders Class of 2022
Congratulations to all the graduating 12th-grade BVN Class of 2022. Parents and graduating 12th graders, please be aware that a very important document will be enclosed with your diploma. Each 12th grader will have a BVN Immunization Profile with their diploma. This is a complete record of all your required immunizations on file with the school. This record should always be kept in an easily accessible safe place for the future. You may be required to show proof of immunization for college, prospective employment, and traveling abroad.
Prescription Medications & End of the year at BVN – (REVISION)
Parents who have students who require prescription medication while in school should contact the nurse to schedule a medication dropped off. The medication must be in the current labeled prescription pill bottle with signed medical order from the physician.
For parents with students who have prescription medication in the nurse’s office, all prescription medications will need to be scheduled to be picked up by a parent or parental consent must be given for a student to pick up their medication. Please e-mail email@example.com or call 913-239-3013 to speak with Nurse Collichio about picking up your medication.
School Nurse Information and Clinic Hours
The Nurse's office is open M – F: 7:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. It closes for lunch 10:00 - 10:30 a.m. except in the case of an emergency. Nurse Amanda Collichio is available to assist students with their health needs, first-aid and medical conditions. For help, contact Nurse Amanda at (913) 239-3013 or AJCollichio@bluevalleyk12.org .
Prescription Meds at BVN
This is reminder to parents: All prescription medications must be accompanied by this written authorization from a physician or other person licensed to prescribe medications, for the administration of that medication at school. All prescription medications to be administered at school must be in their original containers with the label intact. Students shouldn’t be self-carrying unlabeled prescription medications or any prescription medications. Questions? Email Nurse Amanda Collichio at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Teen Parent Resources
Prepped and Ready: Parenting into the Teen Years
The "Prepped and Ready" presentation provides a brief overview on the following topics, with an emphasis on suicide prevention:
- Eating disorder prevention
- Home safety (including storage of firearms, medications, etc.)
- Substance use (including vaping)
- Suicide prevention
MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic Info
Testing/Drop off location: MAWD labs 14950 Newton Drive Overland Park, KS (Northwest of CAPS on the Blue Valley District Office Campus).
BV MAWD Regular Hours: * BY APPOINTMENT ONLY or to drop-off already completed test kits
Hours of Operation
Monday-Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
New! Online Scheduling and Registration for MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic
The MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic now can accept online appointments and registrations.
- Step 1: Book an appointment online (https://mawdbvsd.simplybook.us/v2/ )(up to 6 people per appointment/car)
- Step 2: If you have not done so already, create an online account (https://c19order.com/school/enrollment) for parent/guardian. Please note that to login into the account in the future, username is the parent/guardian email address.
- Complete a form for the child needing COVID-19 testing and submit. Create forms for additional household members by clicking “Add Individual.”
- Receive a QR code via email for each family member needing testing. Keep this code as it will need to be shown upon arrival for each appointment.
- Call (913) 239-4371 and leave a message if you have questions. Calls will be returned in the order received.
- A parent/guardian will need to complete a consent form and must be with the student at the Drive-In Clinic to give verbal permission at the time of testing.
- Tests: Nasal self-swab and saliva PCR tests are both offered at the clinic. Individuals will need to refrain from eating or drinking 30 minutes prior to the saliva test.
- Test results are sent to the provided email/text address and to Blue Valley Health Services generally within 12-16 hours. They are not sent to building nurses.
Students and families who wish to access PCR testing, may use the MAWD COVID-19 Drive-In Testing Clinic or any other community COVID-19 testing* location.
- BV MAWD Hours for Last Day of School: *** BY APPOINTMENT ONLY or to drop off already completed test kits
- Thursday, May 26 - Clinic Open 8:00 am - 3:30 pm
BV MAWD Regular Hours: *** BY APPOINTMENT ONLY or to drop-off already completed test kits
- Monday-Thursday: 8am-6pm
- Friday: 8am-3:30pm
- MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic will be closed whenever school is canceled for inclement weather.
- MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic will operate on regular hours if there is an emergency closing for other reasons, such as high staff absences or transportation absences.
BV MAWD Courier Pickup Times:
- Monday-Thursday @ 11:30am and 5:45pm
- Friday @ 11am and 4:15pm
- Sunday @ 2:15pm
Normal dropoff hours at the MAWD Labs Headquarters: 11070 Strang Line Rd, Lenexa, KS 66215
- Monday - Friday: 8am-9pm
- Inclement Weather Schedule
- The MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic will be closed whenever school is cancelled for inclement weather.
- MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic will operate on regular hours if there is an emergency closing for other reasons, such as high staff or transportation absences.
Additional information about MAWD’s Drive-In Testing Clinic is available on the district website. General COVID-19 resources from Johnson County Department of Health and Environment, community testing locations and vaccine information from Children’s Mercy can be found on the district website.
Blue Valley families can find a variety of COVID-19 resources on the district website including general COVID-19 information, community testing locations and vaccine information from Children’s Mercy.
Durham Bus Riders
Durham will continue to transport our bus riders in the 2021-22 school year. If you have questions, please call Durham at 913-681-2492. The best time to call is between 9:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. when more staff are available to answer questions.
Durham Bus Services has three helpful tools for families with bus riders. Registration is required each year for families as bus routes and participants change:
- Bus Tracker: The Blue Valley Durham location will be using the Bus Tracker mobile app that is available for iOS and Android devices. To use the app, users will create an account that is tied to an email address of the user’s choice. The tool will allow account users to follow the route of a specific bus. Durham is updating daily when a scheduled backup bus is being used for a planned maintenance activity. If a bus is replaced with a quick turnaround due to an unforeseen event, Durham dispatch will make the switch on Bus Tracker at their next opportunity to update the app.
- Text Messaging: Families are still encouraged to sign up for Durham Text Messaging. The system is designed to share the “why” as Bus Tracker is designed to tell the “where”. To sign up for Durham Text Messaging visit www.bluevalleydurham.com.
- E-Link: Allows for verification of a student’s transportation information (i.e., stop location, bus # and pick-up and drop off times) based on the input of grade and home address. To access E-Link, go to www.bluevalleydurham.com.
We are Mustang Proud!
North Notes is published most Fridays during the school year. North Notes is a newsletter for the parents and students of Blue Valley North High School. If you have questions, please contact Janet Roush, Assistant to the Principal, at JRoush@bluevalleyk12.org .
BVN Main Office Hours: 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., Monday - Friday