Grade One Room 130
What is happening for the month of September
Getting to know me!
On a personal note, I have two children, one is out on her own now (yeah), and the other attends Sir Wilfred Laurier majoring in Psychology and Sociology. My husband is a firefighter in Toronto.
I am also asking that you send in a pair of indoor running shoes that have non-marking soles. These shoes can also be used for Physical Education. Donations of tissues for all students to use would be greatly appreciated, as we do happen to share colds.
Each student has a star on the back of the classroom door. If he/she needs to go to the washroom or get a drink, he/she will take the star and put it on the window frame. They do not need to ask permission to go, but only one boy and one girl may leave the classroom at one time. If it is an emergency the students just need to let me know that they need to go to the washroom. Please discuss this with them as I do not want them to have accidents. I do remind them to go at recess and lunch, sometimes they forget as they get caught up in playing.
Here is a list of items your child needs to bring to school.
- running shoes
- refillable water bottle all year around
- snack for recess
Donations to the classroom would be greatly appreciated.
- Kleenex or tissue
- plastic bread bag and milk bag tags
If your child is unable to attend school, please inform the office ASAP at 905 895 9466. If your child is late for school (arrives after the morning bell), please take your child to the office to sign in for a late slip.
In my Welcome to Grade One smore, I included a link to a survey about your child, in the format of a Google form. Thank you to those of you who have completed it. If you have not, please fill it out as it provides me with information I need to help to get to know your child and to keep him/her safe.
Calendar for September
September 19: School Council Meeting
September 22: P.A. Day
September 29: Character Assembly
Sept. 29-Oct 3: Safety week
Days when other Teachers work with your child.
Day Two: Drama and Dance with Ms. Spring
Day Three: Health with Ms. Thomas
Day Four: Physical Education with Mr. Blaser and Music with Ms. Broughton
Day Five: Art with Mrs. Craig (do not wear good clothes this day) and Library (book exchange and Visible Thinking Routines) with Ms. Spring
The students can exchange books at the Library every morning from 8:00 to 8:30
1. I am learning how to collect, sort and organize data.
2. I am learning to describe the likelihood that everyday events will happen
1. I am learning how to use different fix up strategies when I read.
2. I am learning how to pick books that are just right for me.
3. I can make connections between a text and our own lives.
1. I am learning to write complete sentences using a capital letter at the beginning of the sentence, a period at the end of a sentence.
2. I am learning how to write a recount of a memory.
1. I am learning about living things.
1. I am learning about people's the roles, responsibilities and how relationships change over time and in different situations.
1. I can follow classroom routines.
1. I can put my belongings away in an appropriate place.
1. I can try my best.
2. I can try new things.
1. I can follow the teachers' instructions.
1. I can share my thinking in class and small group discussions.
1. I can make good choices at school.