Math Department 3rd-5th Grade
Week 16 News/Updates "Preparation with Intent" & Network PD
As a department our foundation is belt on strategic preparation.
"You can't climb a mountain starting at the top. It takes preparation, tools, skills and a set path to follow one step at a time." Catherine Pulsifer
Do you know what your mountain top is? Can you see it? Do you have a set path to get there? What about the obstacles along the way? It's up to us as a team to make sure we have the tools, to make sure we cultivate the skills, to make sure we troubleshoot the barriers, and to make sure we feel empowered. It's up to you as an individual to make sure you see the mountain top by all means, to make sure you know your path, and to make sure you are prepared for every step of the journey.
Take some time over the next week to reevaluate your readiness mentally, physically, emotionally, and actually. Name your mountain top, clear your path, and prepare with intent! As always reach out to Katrina, Krysten, or any School Leader for support of any kind. We got you!
"50/50 Challenge" still going strong! What's your ratio?
Challenge yourself to have no less than a 50/50 split when it comes to Student Centered vs. Teacher Centered and of coarse if you are already at 50/50 push for a higher student centered ratio!
Network PD Wednesday, November 18th 3:15pm FAES D. Freeman's Room
The agenda can be found on our sharepoint page or by clicking the link below. Come prepared to do what we do best work Productively, Collaboratively, and Transparently. You are each others GREATEST resource. Feel free to branch out from your group planning and take a glance at another groups resources. Share, Share, Share!
Guided Practice ANET 2 Online Assessment Links: 2nd-5th Grades
- Log in to myanet
- Click "access online assessments"
- Click "launched quizzes"
- Find the quiz you want students to start first
- Then click schedule (it's the settings wheel to the right)
- Pull students in small groups and literally guide them through each question pushing them to show their thinking through solving and error correction. Push students to reason and question reasonableness. Push students to ask you questions when they don't understand.
- Allow students to work in pairs as you walk around and facilitate learning. Students can ask questions and receive guidance. Students should be taking notes and making reference/study guides to take with them.
- Use them as a center activity and allow students the freedom to help each other.
- Analyze the data reports and plan targeted groups to address any knowledge and skill gaps still remaining.
- Be creative and use them however you see fit, but do use them!
Online Quiz Preview Links: ANET 2 Guided Practice
2nd Grade NBT A2 Practice: Nov 2015
2nd Grade MD A2 Practice: Nov 2015
3rd Grade OA A2 Practice: Nov 2015
3rd Grade MD A2 Practice: Nov 2015
3rd Grade NBT A2 Practice: Nov 2015
4th Grade OA A2 Practice: Nov 2015
4th Grade MD A2 Practice: Nov 2015
4th Grade NBT A2 Practice: Nov 2015
5th Grade NBT A2 Practice: Nov 2015
5th Grade NF A2 Practice: Nov 2015:
A2 Actual Assessment Public Preview: Make sure you take a glance before the actual assessment dates! Remember: "Prepare with Intent"
Increase the effectiveness of your Core Lesson by following the “Big 3”
1. Explicit Model of New Concepts/Skills with a shared experience: The class collaborates with the teacher to work through the skill, but the teacher holds the clear model.
2. Guided practice: Students apply the skill with the support of peers, often while being observed by the teacher. Teacher facilitates and guides, but students hold the thinking.
3. Independent practice: Students apply the skill on their own. Students receive no support from the teacher. The teacher should make visual observations and jot down trending errors to address immediately following independent practice.
K-2 Connection: Using a Beaded Number Line (Counting, Counting Backwards, Adding, Subtracting, Rounding)
3-8 Connection: Fraction Concepts and Fraction Computation
December Pacing at a GLANCE (Note 4th Grade has been updated)
Math Department Resource Hub on Sharepoint
This is a working hub that will evolve and grow throughout the school year. You will find both resources from Katrina and the C & I Team here.
3rd-5th Grade Math Resources and Curriculum 2015-2016 School Year direct link: (copy the whole link and paste it if it doesn't open)