Catch the Wind Staff Bulletin
Week of 2/15/16 - 2/19/16
A Message from Keoki
Dear Faculty and Staff,
Our Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) accreditation process officially began with our Initial Visit from Dr. John Sugiyama this past Thursday. Dr. Sugiyama has been conducting WASC visits for the past 25 years and has visited over a thousand schools during that time. He will issue a formal report based on his visit, but he did provide some initial feedback for me to share with you all.
Overall, Dr. Sugiyama was very impressed with our school and said that there are many things that we should be proud of. Below is a breakdown of his observations:
- Faculty and Staff- There is a dedicated, committed and resilient faculty and staff that is focused on student success
- Positive Momentum- Dr. Sugiyama noted that every adult role group he met with (teachers, classified, parent, leadership) acknowledged that the school has been through some “difficult” times with leadership changes over the years. However, the groups felt a sense of positivity and optimism with new leadership and there is a growing sense of togetherness moving forward
- Rich Academic Learning Environments- Classrooms have clear evidence of academic focus and rigor. Dr. Sugiyama especially pointed out that the Kindergarten classrooms are strongly challenging students to be academically prepared for the upper grades. All classrooms had evidence of student work, most had learning targets and success criteria and students were engaged in learning
- Parent Involvement- Parents are actively involved in all levels of the school. They make sure students come school ready and many take students on trips to experience the world from different perspectives. The PTA raises a lot of funds, parents volunteer in classrooms and help lead a lot of programs
- Data Teams/Horizontal Articulation- He was very impressed with the data team cycles and articulation conversations teachers have within their grade level. The data team systems were particularly impressive as teachers are talking about student work, assessments and changes in instructional practices to improve learning outcomes.
Things to Think About
- Vertical Articulation- Explore ways to increase vertical articulation from K-6. Think about ways to ensure curricular coherence and skill building that scaffolds so student achievement is maximized over time
- Professional Development- Find ways to connect professional development to areas of school need and to have a focused PD plan to support teacher success
- Differentiated Instruction- Explore ways to help teachers with differentiation in the classroom and to also strengthen levels of support for students through RTI program
- Analyze SBA Results- In relation to classroom practices to see if instruction matches the level of rigor students are being asked to achieve with CCSS and the newly created state assessment
- Technology Plan- Think about a short term and long term plan for technology to ensure teachers have the tools they need and that the school is building towards a common goal with technology.
In his leaving remarks, Dr. Sugiyama talked a lot about this process being powerful in terms helping our school figure out what is working and what we can to do get better. He is very optimistic that if we set up effective systems to go through the accreditation process we will find this to be a very rewarding experience for our school.
As we begin this journey, lets embrace it as an opportunity to make us better. The work will be done together and will be done to help us better support our students. ‘Aikahi has always been a great school and WASC will help us address key issues and systems that we will help us get better. It is about a shift from “good to great.” This will be an exciting adventure and I am glad I will get to go through it with you. Together we can!
"LET'S BE GREAT FOR ALL 458, STUDENTS"
This Week's Events
- President's Day - No School
- Trisha and Gayle at Mauka Lani PLTW Visit from 7:30 - 12:00 pm
- Kindergarten Articulation at 12:30 pm in B1
- PTA CPK Dine-Out from 11:00 am - 10:00 pm. 20% of your bill goes to `Aikahi PTA
- Office Staff Meeting at 8:15 am in OCR
- Grade 3 Articulation at 10:15 am in B1
- Faculty Meeting at 1:45 pm in Library
- Grade 4 Articulation at 10:15 am in B1
- Grade 1 Articulation at 12:30 pm in B1
- Academic Coach out at AC Meeting
- Grade 5 and 6 Articulation at 9:00 am in B1
- Grade 2 Articulation at 12:30 pm in B1
- Grade 3 Playground Clean up at 9:00 am
- Grade 1 Creatures of Hawaii Speaker at 9:00 am
- Talent Show Informational Meeting at 1st recess in the library
- Principal and Academic Coach out at Academic Plan Presentation at Keolu El.
- Fire Drill at 9:15 am
- Grade 5 and 6 DARE Graduation at 1:00 pm
- Curriculum Fair Set Up in the Cafe
- Curriculum Fair
- Grades 3-5 Stepping Stones Training at WDO
- Curriculum Fair
- Read Quest in the Library