Update - May 16, 2021
Hope you are all doing well. Thank you for taking the time to read our community update. Included in the video and below are elements of our plan for a full reopening in September. As additional guidance is released we will continue to keep you informed of our plan.
2021-2022 School Year Information
It has been shared that the New Jersey Department of Education is currently preparing official procedures for schools for the 2021-2022 school year. Once those procedures become available, we will share them out with the community.
To be proactive in preparing for September and utilizing federal grant funding available to us , we have taken the following steps recently to ensure a smooth return to full day, in person instruction:
- Inventoried sanitation supply levels and budgeted funds to ensure a high level of supplies throughout the next school year.
- Significant upgrades to the HVAC system at Martha B Day and make repairs at SRD and WTB. We anticipate this not only improving ventilation but also resulting in long financial savings.
- Summer Skills Boot Camp to address any learning loss and accelerate learning going into the 2021 school year. Information coming out soon!
- Plan to offer before school and after school academic intervention classes for students during the 2021-2022 school year.
- Full funding for a new mathematics curriculum K-8 and staff professional development, to be piloted next school year.
- Professional development partnerships in the area of mathematics and language arts.
- Partnership with Thrive Alliance group to provide mental health services directly to our students, families and professional development on mental health and social emotional well being to staff.
- Upgrades to our technology in the classroom and back end infrastructure.
- Upgrades to our Student Information System to allow for a centralized parent access point and a better window into the work that is happening in our schools everyday.
- An entirely new middle school schedule with a social emotional component, new elective courses and teaming. The new schedule will be publicly presented at the May 19 BOE Meeting.
These are only a small sampling of the work we have done behind the scenes the past few weeks to ensure we are ready to address academic, social emotional and the facility needs of our students as we come out of the pandemic. Please be assured we are ready and will continue to adapt once guidance from the NJDOE is officially released.
8th Grade Transition DayOn May 21, 8th graders from WTB and the Richard Butler School are invited to BHS for presentations on their programs, a walking tour guided by Butler students, and ice cream on Smith Field. See the letter from Mr. Deeb for more details.
Mrs. Conboy and Mr. Lombardi are excited to announce that our Intramural program has begun! Grades 5-7 meet on Tuesdays and Grade 8 meets on Thursdays from 3:00-3:45. All students are welcome but must have up-to-date physical forms and paperwork on file. Please check with Mrs. Citer if your child is interested in attending.
Students have completed the Health curriculums at WTB. This trimester, we are focusing solely on Physical Education. Although virtual, students are still meeting as a class to discuss important topics and are playing games and activities together to incorporate more movement into their days. Students have been able to use their creativity to come up with their own ideas for games and activities, and they have had the ability to share these ideas with their classmates as well.