5th Grade Newsletter
Monday, October 19th, 2020 - Friday, October 30th, 2020
On Track Calendar
What assignments do I turn in to my teacher?
5th Grade Math
Math: Unit 7 Volume
This unit is volume, we will learn what volume is and how to find the volume of a rectangular prism.
Links to Video Lessons
Volume, Khan Academy
How to Find the Volume of Rectangular Prisms
Finding Volume Using Unit Cubes (for beginners)
Volume of Rectangular Prisms Mastery Check
If your student struggle with 5th Grade Math, one reason can be that they are struggling with their math facts. Encourage daily practice of Math facts to produce fluency using flash cards or interactive Math games and apps. Below are a few helpful resources:
Reading / ELA
Unit 4: A Wrinkle in Time
Students have been reading A Wrinkle in Time. It is time to complete Unit 4, Lesson 11: A Wrinkle in Time Wrap-Up. As a reminder, students must score 80% or higher for a lesson to be mastered. It is extremely important students master this Wrap-Up now, while the novel is fresh on their minds.
Students will then begin working on TGA #2 in ELA Unit 4, Lesson 13. TGA #2 is an Informational Essay and is due to your homeroom teacher by 5:00 PM on Monday, November 23rd (ELA Unit 6, Lesson 7). Our hope is that Seesaw is up by then and you will turn it in via Seesaw. If it is not, please file share or email your typed TGA to your homeroom teacher. Students will write an Information/Expository essay about a celestial body, such as a planet, a star or a comet making sure to reference information found within Stargazing and/or The Brightest Sky. Both can be found in the OLS and are linked below.
Writing Sample #2 (ELA Unit 4, Lesson 17) is due to your homeroom teacher by 5:00 PM on Wednesday, October 28th. Our hope is that Seesaw is up by then and you will turn it in via Seesaw. If it is not, please file share or email your typed Writing Sample to your homeroom teacher. For Writing Sample #2, students will create a script for a fictional podcast called "Intrigue and History." Please see below for instructions, a model script (example) and template students may use.
Please see below for the rubric (Grade 5 Writing Rubric) that will be used in grading your Teacher Graded Assignments (TGAs) this year and let that be your checklist before turning in your final drafts. If you have a printer, I recommend you print the rubric and keep it handy as you are working on your essay. This is the same rubric the State Department of Education will use to score your essay in April.
A Wrinkle in Time (Lessons 2-11) is a novel that was sent with your K12 curriculum.
In Science Unit 3, we will fly high and soar as we learn about the atmosphere including something Oklahoma is known for..... weather. We will be experimenting with various simulators and games during his unit.
Remember Science is "optional," but attendance is highly encouraged since all 5th graders will be tested in Science on the OSTP in April.
10/20/2020 - U3, L4 Clouds & Precipitation
10/22/2020 - U3, L5 Severe Weather
10/27/2020 - U3, L6 Fronts & Forecasts
10/29/2020 - U3, L7 Climate
*Students have 2 weeks to complete USA Test Prep Assignments. Instructions are in the OLS lesson when they need to go to USA Test Prep.
Some Extra Fun: Create a place to collect art items and recyclables you may want to use for creating things in Science. Feel free to create things that will help you understand Science concepts. Take pictures of you with your Science creations/labs and email/File Share them to Ms. Lewellen with your name and your homeroom teacher's name. CREATE BRAVELY!
Tips and Tricks for a Smooth Year
- Attendance is extremely important for all class connects. Even though Science is considered “optional” it is still highly encouraged.
- Create a family schedule so everybody knows when students are in class connects
- Come prepared! Cook, eat, use the restroom, feed animals, do chores, run errands before/after class connects.
- Stay on track every day with the On-Track Calendar.
- Check USA Test Prep regularly for assignments, quizzes, and “Tickets Out the Door.”
- Email all teachers (Homeroom, Interventionist, SpEd) when the student will be absent.
- Clean out cache and cookies regularly to help with computer speed and memory.
- Watch recordings of class connects missed. Here is a helpful video to demonstrate how to access recordings through the OLS.
- All OLS (Online School) lessons require 80% Mastery for completion. The video below demonstrates a lesson that has not been marked complete because it was not mastered by the student.
- It is highly encouraged students have 3 notebooks (simple one subject notebooks are perfect) so that they may take notes in Math, Reading and Science classes.
Important Upcoming Dates
- October 9th: 1st Quarter Grades due in Gradebook
- October 12th: Math TGA #2 Due (Unit 3, Lesson 14)
- October 14th: Last Day of 1st Quarter; All Work Completed by 5:00 pm
- October 15th & 16th: No School - Fall Break
- October 28th: ELA Writing Sample #2 Due (Unit 4, Lesson 17)
- November 23rd: ELA TGA #2 Due (Unit 6, Lesson 7)
2020-2021 Academic Calendar
Account ID: ovca78, Username: Student's ID # (example: 1234567), Password: Student's First Name AND last 3 digits of Student's ID # (example: Amy567)
If you are experiencing technical issues, please use the link above or call 866-512-2273 to submit a ticket.
5th Grade Teachers
(405) 259-9478 ext. 2180
(405) 259-9478 ext. 3198
(405) 259-9478 ext. 3141
(405) 259-9478 ext. 3138
Special Education Teacher
(405) 259-9478 ext. 3192
Special Education Teacher
(405) 259-9478 ext. 3175
(405) 259-9478 ext. 3277
(405) 259-9478 ext. 3148
In Case You Missed It...
The Oklahoma Virtual Charter Academy does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities and provides equal access educational programs and activities. As required by Title IX, the Oklahoma Virtual Charter Academy does not discriminate on the basis of gender, in its educational programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the Title IX non-discrimination matters:
- Angie Foust, Title IX Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org, (405) 259-9478 ext 2069, 1160 S Douglas, Midwest City, OK 73130
- Additionally, you may contact the Office of Civil Rights by calling 1-800-421-3481.