Alex Duarte 1/6/16
The Mystery of Memory, Documentary
- This concerns the nature of memory stores, i.e. where the information is stored, how long the memory lasts for, how much can be stored at anytime and what kind of information is held
- Most adults can store between 5 and 9 items in their short term memory
- The capacity of Long Term Memory is thought to be unlimited
- Information can only be stored for a brief duration in Short term memory (0-30 seconds), but Long term memory can last a lifetime
Criticisms of Memory Experiments
- An experiment has high ecological validity if it's findings can be generalized, that is applied or extended, to settings outside the laboratory.
- Often assumed that if an experiment is realistic then there is a greater likelihood that its findings can be generalized.
- If it is not realistic then there is less likelihood that the findings can be generalized. In this case, the experiment will have low ecological validity.
- Many experiments designed to investigate memory have been criticized for having low ecological validity.