ENVS Jobs & Internships
March 13, 2015
Internships at a glance
- Urban Farm Internship, Urban Farms of Central Ohio
- Recreation Internships, Chugach National Forest - March 18 Deadline
- Geoscience Internship, Battelle Memorial Institute - March 16 Deadline
- Environmental Internship, Decostar Industries Inc.
- Sustainability Apprentice, Zappos Inc.
Full-Time Jobs at a Glance
- Sustainability Consultant, Seven Winters Associates Inc.
- Sustainability Manager, Kellogg
- Summer biologist - educator assistant, National Audubon Society
- Kings Peak Backcountry Ranger, American Conservation Experience
1. Urban Farm Internship, Urban Farms of Central Ohio
DEADLINE: June 30
Dates intersect with school year: April 15-July 15 (Cycle 1) and June 30-October 15 (Cycle 2)
Apply on DU Link
Location: Columbus, OH
Summary: Urban Farms of Central Ohio (UFCO) and the Hoover YMCA Park are currently seeking seven to eight part-time interns for our 2015 joint internship program. This unique program will offer interns the opportunity to gain both experience in small-scale vegetable growing practices and exposure to working within urban community and educational settings.
Interns will be primarily placed at either UFCO’s Clarfield Urban Farm or at the Hoover YMCA Park Learning Garden, though they will receive exposure to both programs, as well as other urban farming operations in Columbus.
- Receive training in organic vegetable production.
- Learn proper tool and equipment use, care and maintenance.
- Have the opportunity to assist in farm marketing, volunteer coordination and youth education.
- Receive exposure to various small-scale farming methods through regular trips to other growing operations.
- Make positive contributions to the community.
- Learn teamwork and leadership skills.
- Receive fresh produce grown on site.
- Assist with all food production activities such as preparing and maintaining the production area, planting, weeding, harvesting, and packing of produce.
- Assist in hosting and supporting farm visitors including youth, volunteers and local residents.
- Assist with creating infrastructure.
Or search "Urban Farm Internship" on DU Link
2. Recreation Internships, Chugach National Forest
DEADLINE: March 18
Apply on DU Link
Location: Cordova, Alaska
Summary: Interns would work alongside professional resources and recreation Forest Service employees on projects around developed recreation, cabin maintenance, trail maintenance, fisheries/wildlife data collection and habitat restoration. Additional work may include performing stream surveys and stream bank restoration and nest island maintenance for sensitive water fowl species, Majority of work will be completed as a member of a trail crew.
Or search "Multi-Discipline Recreation Interns" on DU Link
3. Geoscience Internship, Battelle Memorial Institute
DEADLINE: March 16
Location: Columbus Ohio
Summary: Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
Our Exploration/Production/Pipelines team is currently seeking a paid Geosciences Intern/Co-Op. This position is for hourly work, up to 40 hours per week, beginning May 2015 with an indefinite end date.
Or search "Geosciences Intern/Co-Op" on DU Link
4. Environmental Internship, Decostar Industries Inc.
Location: Carrollton, Georgia
Summary: Decostar Industries of Carrollton, GA is a division of Magna Exteriors. Magna Exteriors, a wholly owned unit of Magna International, is a full service supplier of exterior vehicle appearance systems to the global automotive industry.
Magna Exteriors creates bumper fascia systems, exterior trim, modular systems, class A body panels, structural components, under hood & under body components.
This position reports directly to the Environmental Engineer and is responsible for the general and specific job duties as described below:
- Assist Environmental Engineer in managing environmental activities.
- Provide troubleshooting input as required and assist in the analysis of data and providing environmental training to Decostar team members.
- Participate fully in Decostar Environmental Committee as directed by the Environmental Engineer to ensure Committee goals are met.
- Support and lead in generation of department standards and implementation of processes.
- Support in maintaining and updating Environmental Department forms and documents.
- Coordinate environmental initiatives with other departments as needed.
- Responsible for special projects assigned by the Environmental Engineer.
- Support inspections, audits, and hazardous material shipping activities at Decostar.
- Support environmental report documentation and submission.
- Perform environmental calculations for compliance determination and trouble-shooting.
- Generate progress reports and presentations for action items and special projects.
- Perform other duties as directed.
5. Sustainability Apprentice, Zappos Inc.
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Summary: We are seeking a passionate and experienced college level professional to join our sustainability team and support the Zappos Sustainability Manager on projects relating to reducing the environmental impact of Zappos’ operations. The internship is expected to last eight weeks and will be in downtown Las Vegas.
- Support projects that focus on energy, water, recycling, supply chain, green building operations, and outreach
- Assess Zappos' office recycling and composting program
- Develop internal (employee facing) and external (social media) communications related to sustainability
- Review Zappos’ private label apparel supply chain operations and exposure to risk
- Calculate Zappos’ carbon footprint from shipping activities and work with partners to create strategies to reduce carbon emissions
- Observe Zappos’ campus operations and make recommendations on how the building and occupants can improve based on LEED EBOM guidelines
- Work closely with the Zappos Campus Operations and Development team on internal construction projects
1. Sustainability Consultant, Seven Winters Associates Inc.
Location: NY, NY
Summary: SWA is seeking candidates with an understanding of buildings, mechanical systems, and building science theory for a sustainability consultant position in our New York City office. The candidate would support ENERGY STAR, LEED for Homes, and Enterprise Green Communities certification of multifamily building projects in and around NYC.
Applicants must have an interest in energy-efficiency, building construction, or related fields, and an eagerness to learn. This position requires excellent communication, organizational, and quantitative analysis skills. Applicants should have basic familiarity with construction drawings and knowledge of building systems. Familiarity with HVAC design, energy modeling, renewables, and building science background is preferred. Training in building performance field testing and certification programs will be provided.
2. Sustainability Manager, Kellogg
Location: Brattle Creek, Michigan
Summary: Lead with us as you develop, support, and manage Sustainability projects to minimize our impact on the planet and communities where we live, work and source. While you are at it you’ll be building your network and expertise in a thriving environment of professional development and teamwork. And together we’ll build a stronger future for our company and your career.
- Leading the program management and analysis of grower engagement projects aligned with our Sustainability 2020 commitments in North America and support globally by building and supporting relationships with farmers, suppliers, agricultural producers, other private and public sector partners, as well as NGOs to coordinate surveys, monitor progress and grow programs.
- Supporting the sustainability team to respond to customer and NGO surveys, brand and communication requests and other data management opportunities while building relationships with these key stakeholders.
- Leading the program management of the Sustainability 2020 grower surveys globally by working with regional Kellogg contacts, suppliers and vendors to ensure accurate and vetted data entry and analysis for internal and external use.
- Managing input requirements, data entry, analysis and internal/external review and progress reports for philanthropic programs.
- Supporting the Sustainability and Procurement teams in identifying, developing, tracking, and securing program partners and potential funding for agriculture, livelihoods and food security programs and ensuring program result documentation for KNA grower engagements and other programs.
- Effectively partnering with external stakeholders such as industry groups, suppliers, agricultural groups, and others to support sustainability initiatives
3. Summer biologist - educator assistant, National Audubon Society
Location: Trabuco Canyon, CA
Summary: This Summer Biologist-Educaor Assistant will provide support to full-time staff with our Starr Ranch Junior Biologists (SRJB) summer program. The SRJB program allows kids, ages 8-13, to participate in the scientific process through observation, exploration, and field research during a series of two, three week-long sessions in June and July. This includes night programs such as “Evening Wildlife Survey” and “Western Screech-owl Survey” as well as several overnights that involve tent camping.
- Assist biologist-educators with Starr Ranch Junior Biologists (SRJB) summer program, assisting with the development and implementation of curriculum.
- Structure research-based programs that simulate what it’s like to be a wildlife biologist, works on facets of wildlife research simulations or related projects with small groups of kids, lead a nature walks.
- Other program assignments in various capacities including but limited to: purchasing, designing and constructing instructional materials and helping with setup and clean-up.
- Serve as a fire watch assistant during evening hours throughout fire season to prevent human-caused wildfire.
4. Kings Peak Backcountry Ranger, American Conservation Experience
Location: Ashley National Forest, Utah
Paid, Housing, June - SeptemberSummary: This field position will be representing the Friends of Kings Peak and Ashley National Forest for the Kings Peak and Henry's Fork Wilderness Areas. This diverse position will be responsible for interacting directly with visitors providing information and details to the public about the areas' cultural and natural resources and providing insight and guidelines to the wilderness area's backcountry recreation opportunities.
- Educate the public on the areas' cultural and natural resources and the importance of Leave No Trace
- General recreational and wilderness interpretative outreach and education with a varied user group base
- Perform backcountry and wilderness trail site-stewardship and monitoring
- Develop an outreach program for the public regarding proper wilderness use regarding Leave No Trace and natural resource wilderness conservation
- Assist the Friends of Kings Peak and the Forest Service with trail maintenance and site stewardship in the high-use hiking and recreation areas
- Lead public and youth groups in meaningful restoration and conservation stewardship service projects
- Patrol wilderness and backcountry trails to ensure visitor safety and trail stewardship