February 26, 2018
HAPPY MONDAY—HAPPY FHN EDUCATION WEEK
I hope you had a great weekend and had an opportunity to rest up.
Snowcoming week has ended. It was an awesome opportunity to display school spirit and to enjoy the high school experience. Spirit week, the pep assembly, and the Snowcoming Dance were all awesome. Thank you so much to StuCo for all their hard work in making the week so enjoyable.
However, have no fear; the fun continues. American Education Week is being celebrated this week at FHN, and KOE has an amazing week prepared for you. I hope you have a great week celebrating education. I am very excited to celebrate this week with you.
- Congratulations to our Varsity Knightline on placing 5th in 5A Hip-Hop & 4th in 5A Lyrical!
Congratulations to senior, Anna Lindquist, for being chose. as a Gold Key winner by the Regional Scholastic Art and Writing Organization. Way to go, Anna!
- Congratulations to all Knights of the Roundtable Award winners!
- Congratulations to Riley Lawson on achieving a 36 on the ACT. Wow, that is amazing!
- Congratulations to StuCo on providing an awesome Snowcoming Week
Howell of Fame
We have so many awesome people at FHN. Please consider consider nominating someone deserving for the 2018 Howell of Fame! The Howell of Fame Award recognizes the excellence of character, performance, and effort of those who serve FHSD as employees, volunteers, and patrons. Learn more or submit a nomination online here: http://ow.ly/Jn7r30iaSzf
Here is the latest social media posting from the FHSD Communications Department:
#FHSDFridayFact...At FHSD high schools, more than two thirds of students participate in at least one extra-curricular activity. FHSD middle schools don’t offer as many extra-curriculars, but almost half of our middle school students still participate in at least one activity.
Thank you to those who attended a staff chat on Wednesday last week. We shared the data from our Climate Check-in taken on 2/7 and discussed ways we can keep making progress on our Action Plan. We also discussed the goods and bads of our next escort system. Thank you for the feedback and ideas!
COFFEE WITH THE PRINCIPAL:
On Thursday, February 22, FHN administration hosted Coffee with the Principal. It was an awesome opportunity to check in with parents and to have them ask questions about a myriad of topics, The majority of time was spent talking about safety. They offered a lot of great input.
CLIMATE COMMITTEE MEETING:
Climate Committee will meet this Tuesday, February 27th in the Main Office at 2:30 p.m. We will be looking at the Student Climate Data and the information students shared with us at the Student Summit. The goal of this meeting is to come up with ways to share the information generated at the Student Summit with staff in an effective manner. Please come if you'd like to be involved.
FHN AMERICAN EDUCATION WEEK
AMERICAN EDUCATION WEEK: FEB 26-MAR 2
KOE is super excited to announce that we will be celebrating American Education Week next week! Our kids have been working hard to plan great ways to recognize you all week. This year’s theme is “AGES AND STAGES”. We try to keep in mind what is important to everyone, so we plan to give you opportunities to:
- eat food
- dress fabulously (or at least comfortably)
- win prizes :)
Each day, teachers have opportunities to get five raffle tickets by dressing up and doing one of the following things:
1. Dressing up and coming to the Learning Commons at 7:05 for a group picture.
2. Sending your selfie to 636-279-4452. Tickets will be delivered to your room!
- Theme: My baby stage.
- Dress as you did when you were a baby/little kid. Think pig tails, pjs, blankies, etc.
- Also, both teachers’ lounge refrigerators will be stocked with soda to get you through your Monday.
- Theme: My awkward stage.
- Dress like you were dressed in that terrible picture your mom used to have on the wall even though you hated her for it. Think retainers, glasses, big bangs, etc.
- Chase KOE members (wearing purple KOE shirts) down the halls. Tell them one reason you love KOE or FHN, and they will give you one ticket.
- Theme: My college stage.
- Wear college t-shirts and jeans OR dress like the decade in which you attended college.
- Teacher appreciation gifts will be delivered during homeroom.
- Also, snacks will be delivered to PLCs.
- Theme: My elderly stage.
- Dress as you think you will when you are old.
- KOE members will greet you at the front doors to show their appreciation of you and provide you with donuts.
- Theme: My adulting stage.
- Please wear the FHN shirt you received as your gift this week.
- Sandwiches and chips will be served during all lunch shifts in both staff lunch rooms.
- Raffle will be conducted after lunch. Prizes will be delivered to teachers’ rooms.
A special prize will be awarded to the person who collects the most raffle tickets. Please bundle your tickets together (with a paper clip or rubber band) and put them in the box in the mailroom BY THE END OF FIRST HOUR ON FRIDAY.
Thanks so much for all you do to make FHN great. We can’t wait to make next week fun for you!
FHN currently has 83.5% of students attending 90% of the time. At the recent parent coffee we were able to share some of our action steps with the parents who attended so they can see and hear what we are doing to try to improve. This past week we planned more diversionary meetings with the area truancy officer and will be pushing for more home visits in the coming weeks. Thanks for all that you do to help support our attendance efforts.
Next Attendance Committee Meeting: Thurs March 8th
The Behavior Team will be meeting on Wednesday, February 28th at 2:30 in Room 5/8. This will be an information gathering meeting and we will be reviewing behavior data and discussing ways to share best classroom management practices.
The Technology Committee met this past week. Students and Staff on the committee shared updates. We also have updates from the teachers who attended METC. You can view these by going to the link below:
Our next meeting will be 3/21 after school in Room 105.
The Homeroom Committee met this past week. We analyzed survey results. We will be meeting again on Tuesday, February 27th in the Guidance Conference Room to create follow up survey questions and parameters for possible new formats.
TESTING SCHEDULE UPDATE
The EOC window is as follows:
Bio, Gov't, Alg 2: 4/16-24
Eng 2, Alg 1: 4/30-5/8
The ACT will be on 4/24, with ACT accommodations going from 4/24-5/1
2017-2018 Staff Commitments to the Learning Environment
In order to improve the climate/environment at FHN, the staff commits to:
1. building positive relationships with students and staff members.
2. helping students to see the relationship between effort and success.
3. addressing any inappropriate behavior immediately to help set an expectation of appropriate hallway and classroom behavior.
4. giving clear and consistent expectations for device use and by enforcing them.
5. counting tardies consistently.